• Topic Tools
  • Display
  • Bookmark and Share

Hybrid View

Level completed: 69%, Points required for next Level: 63
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    1 year registered1000 Experience PointsNew Achievement!

Level
    Thanks

Unhappy 46PFL8605 brick?

Hi all!

Wish I didn't have to post something like this as my first entry into a new forum, but...

I bought a brand new 46PFL8605 today, and about two hours into my ownership of it, half of which was spent getting it onto the wall it's going on, it suddenly went black, showing a two-flash blink code from the power led. At the time it went dead, I was working on the HDMI-CEC settings on my surround receiver (Yamaha RX-767).

I've tried the standard solutions from the manual - unplug, let it cool totally, then try it again - which just gets me the same blink code once the power is turned back on. After that I phoned the retailer, and they're repairing or replacing the set without charge. Before that happens though, I thought I'd make sure it wasn't something I did - I really don't want to brick another set...

What I was doing exactly when the screen went black was, I turned on a setting named "HDMI Control" on the receiver. Prior to this, the TV remote was controling both the TV and receiver volume and power, so I'm worried that I may have short-circuited the software by having both units act as "masters", like what happened when you tried to use two IDE Master disks in a PC. (I have no idea if this can even happen in the HDMI spec, I'm a home theatre noob of the first order). Is this a possibility, or is this a matter of coincidental timing?

My other question is, is there a real list of what the flash codes in modern Philips TVs mean? While trying to figure this out, the only list I could discover was from the early 00s, and listed "two flashes" as a problem in the high voltage circuits - and AFAIK, LED TVs don't have those. An up to date list posted somwhere accessible would be nice.

Cheers!

Diamond Member
    Level completed: 42%, Points required for next Level: 814
    Overall activity: 100.0%
    Achievements:
    Recommendation Second ClassTagger First ClassOverdrive1000 Experience Points25000 Experience Points
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level
    Thanks
    Hi,

despite of the blinking codes (which can be found in the - not officially available - service manual) you should return your TV and ask for a NEW one...

Toengel@Alex

Achievements:

Level
    Thanks
    The retailer is replacing my set on site - they had to order one from the next town over since this was the last one in stock, though, and the service guy can't come until tuesday (long holiday). Getting a new set isn't what I'm worried about, it's making sure it wasn't something I did. (The TV set has a "no questions asked" insurance policy, but I want to avoid trial-and-error given that there's only something like three of these sets left for sale within a hundred miles)

Bronze Member
    Level completed: 80%, Points required for next Level: 62
    Achievements:

Level
    Thanks
    Why not simply set them up indivually before you connect the HDMI cable when yo recieve your new TV? That way you can safely set one as master and the other as slave before they even "see" each other for the first time.

Achievements:

Level
    Thanks
    I've returned the receiver to the original settings for now, and I don't think I'll be messing more with it...

Right now I'm trying to figure out which unit to use as a hub for the HDMI cables - the receiver or the TV. The receiver is handling all the inputs right now except analog cable, but its remote is only useful for switching between sources, not for flipping channels. Since the TV could remote control the receiver, I'm interested in seeing if it could remote control my internet-cable box (digital cable via ethernet, only kind the TV doesn't support on its own...) and my blu-ray player as well. In that case, I could more or less retire all the other remotes and just use the one for the TV, since the TV will pass the audio down to the receiver using HDMI-ARC...

cheers,