Results 1 to 9 of 9
  • Topic Tools
  • Display
  • Bookmark and Share
  1. #1
    Silver Member
    Points: 1,640, Level: 11
    Level completed: 30%, Points required for next Level: 210
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    1 year registered1 year registeredTagger Second Class1000 Experience PointsNew Achievement!

    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    59
    Points
    1,640
    Level
    11
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Rep Power
    4

    Bizarre lip sync problem with Philips 46PFL9705H/12

    Hi

    I have a new Philips 46PFL9705H/12 with firmware 0.140.034. I have a Humax Foxsat HDR feeding it via HDMI. I have noticed some very strange lip sync issues. For some, only some programs serious lip sync problems occur. It is Standard Definition programs that have the issue. And it doesn't occur on most of the programs I watch, and even stranger it gets worse in different scenes of the problem programs (and gets better in other scenes).

    After a lot of time and effort I am 99.9% sure it is the new Philips TV that is at fault (I tried the Humax via HDMI on a Sony TV and there was no problem (with the same programs - they're recorded on the Humax)

    After attempting to trouble shoot the issue I discovered switching the TV's picture mode to "Game" solves the lip sync issue but I don't want to use "Game" mode because the picture quality is inferior.

    Has any one else come across a similar issue? Thanks.

  2. #2
    Bronze Member
    Points: 1,404, Level: 10
    Level completed: 27%, Points required for next Level: 146
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    1 year registered1000 Experience PointsNew Achievement!

    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    12
    Points
    1,404
    Level
    10
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Rep Power
    0
    yes i have reported this issue on another thread with my 58PFL9955, it varies, sometimes worse than others, i also have foxsat HDR and it doesnt happen on another panel. - very frustrating indeed

  3. #3
    New Member
    Points: 1,347, Level: 9
    Level completed: 99%, Points required for next Level: 3
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    1 year registered1000 Experience PointsNew Achievement!

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Rochester - UK
    Posts
    6
    Points
    1,347
    Level
    9
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Rep Power
    0
    Hello

    I also have a 46PFL9705 too, and a Foxsat HDR.

    Are you using an AV amp? If so then see if your amp has an option to adjust delay time. 160ms should be sufficient.
    If you're not using an AV amp or can't change it's delay then I think there's also a delay setting on the Foxsat HDR. Try changing this instead.
    Also, is your Foxsat HDR set to output everything at 1080i? This will reduce the up-scaling the TV has to do on SD stuff, and possibly reduce delay.

    The delay on the TV is caused by the 400hz mode and the motion processing under the Pixel Plus menu. The reason game mode is okay is because these two modes are turned off in this preset to allow responsive gaming.
    This is normal for a lot of TVs, particularly those with hefty motion processing.

    I have had sync problems occasionally from the Foxsat but they also happened on my previous (Samsung) TV too. By doing the above it is minimised, I very rarely notice it, if at all.


    Hope this helps

  4. #4
    Bronze Member
    Points: 1,404, Level: 10
    Level completed: 27%, Points required for next Level: 146
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    1 year registered1000 Experience PointsNew Achievement!

    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    12
    Points
    1,404
    Level
    10
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Rep Power
    0
    just speaking for myself, i am using internal speakers only. and some of my sources dont have a built in audio sync adjustment - so nothing can be done.

    also turning all processing off or all on doesnt make a difference - same thing.

    its minimal on my foxsat, but very noticeable via xtreamer and philips BDP9600 either via hdmi audio or toslink

    i sure wish philips would care to pass comment on this thread.

  5. #5
    Bronze Member
    Points: 1,519, Level: 10
    Level completed: 85%, Points required for next Level: 31
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    1 year registered1000 Experience PointsNew Achievement!

    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    28
    Points
    1,519
    Level
    10
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Quaddy View Post
    just speaking for myself, i am using internal speakers only. and some of my sources dont have a built in audio sync adjustment - so nothing can be done.

    also turning all processing off or all on doesnt make a difference - same thing.

    its minimal on my foxsat, but very noticeable via xtreamer and philips BDP9600 either via hdmi audio or toslink

    i sure wish philips would care to pass comment on this thread.
    I have much older Philips Plasma and can't it use with external amp at all without turning the sound completely off the TV - the sound sync is wildly out

    You would think that with all the TV peripherals about nowadays that sound sync control should be essential setting for all modern TV's

  6. #6
    Silver Member
    Points: 1,640, Level: 11
    Level completed: 30%, Points required for next Level: 210
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    1 year registered1 year registeredTagger Second Class1000 Experience PointsNew Achievement!

    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    59
    Points
    1,640
    Level
    11
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Rep Power
    4
    Sorry for not replying sooner. I've been away for the past few weeks.

    Quote Originally Posted by Quaddy View Post
    yes i have reported this issue on another thread with my 58PFL9955, it varies, sometimes worse than others, i also have foxsat HDR and it doesnt happen on another panel. - very frustrating indeed
    Quaddy, thanks for confirming the issue. It's good to know that it's not just my TV.

    Quote Originally Posted by MrColobus View Post
    Hello

    I also have a 46PFL9705 too, and a Foxsat HDR.

    Are you using an AV amp? If so then see if your amp has an option to adjust delay time. 160ms should be sufficient.
    If you're not using an AV amp or can't change it's delay then I think there's also a delay setting on the Foxsat HDR. Try changing this instead.
    Also, is your Foxsat HDR set to output everything at 1080i? This will reduce the up-scaling the TV has to do on SD stuff, and possibly reduce delay.

    The delay on the TV is caused by the 400hz mode and the motion processing under the Pixel Plus menu. The reason game mode is okay is because these two modes are turned off in this preset to allow responsive gaming.
    This is normal for a lot of TVs, particularly those with hefty motion processing.

    I have had sync problems occasionally from the Foxsat but they also happened on my previous (Samsung) TV too. By doing the above it is minimised, I very rarely notice it, if at all.


    Hope this helps
    No I'm not using an external amp. And unfortunately I can't set a delay on the Humax because it only happens on certain channels and even then only on certain programs.
    You make a very interesting point about the 400Hz being the culprit. I'll check it out when I get home this evening.
    I'll also check that the Humax Foxsat HDR is set to output everything at 1080i. That could explain why I don't see the issue on HD channels, but only on certain SD channels.

    Thanks for the reply Mr Colobus, I appreciate it.
    Last edited by mike tv; 06-21-2011 at 08:23 PM. Reason: typo

  7. #7
    Silver Member
    Points: 1,640, Level: 11
    Level completed: 30%, Points required for next Level: 210
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    1 year registered1 year registeredTagger Second Class1000 Experience PointsNew Achievement!

    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    59
    Points
    1,640
    Level
    11
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Rep Power
    4
    I tried different V Format outputs from the Humax (520i, 520p, 720p and 1080i) but none of them made any difference. The issue was just as bad no matter what (It was already set to 1080i).

    I am pleased to say switching off the 400Hz fixes the issue (pleased that I have a work around- but not pleased that a function off my brand new TV has to be disabled)

    (I had the (weird) motion processing setting off anyway)

    Thanks again Mr Colobus
    Last edited by mike tv; 06-22-2011 at 01:53 PM.

  8. #8
    Silver Member
    Points: 1,640, Level: 11
    Level completed: 30%, Points required for next Level: 210
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    1 year registered1 year registeredTagger Second Class1000 Experience PointsNew Achievement!

    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    59
    Points
    1,640
    Level
    11
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Rep Power
    4

    Red face Issue Fixed

    The lip-sync issue seems to be fixed with firmware 140.40. I had been using the TV with the 400Hz off. It just came to mind to test it and it's fixed.

    There have been some other firmware updates prior to 140.40 and I'm not sure if the issue was fixed in those.

    The good thing about the Humax PVR was I have the exact same "problem" programs recorded to test with and in firmware 140.40 it's fixed. Thanks Philips
    Last edited by mike tv; 10-07-2011 at 03:03 PM. Reason: error

  9. #9
    Moderator
    Points: 20,566, Level: 43
    Level completed: 80%, Points required for next Level: 184
    Overall activity: 99.4%
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience PointsNew Achievement!10000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Philips - Thomas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    1,921
    Points
    20,566
    Level
    43
    Thanks
    8
    Thanked 48 Times in 43 Posts
    Rep Power
    10
    [closed, due to no activity]

Tags for this Topic

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •