Results 1 to 9 of 9
  • Topic Tools
  • Display
  • Bookmark and Share
  1. #1
    Points: 121, Level: 1
    Level completed: 72%, Points required for next Level: 29
    Overall activity: 16.0%
    Achievements:
    New Achievement!7 days registered100 Experience Points
    Hisham's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    10
    Points
    121
    Level
    1
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Rep Power
    0

    TV is no longer controllable - No response to any request

    Hi there,
    My Philips TV was bought late 2008 and has the following details:
    Philips Model No.: 42PFL7403D/79
    Serial No: VN1B0828001513.

    Since today, the TV is malfunctioning as follows:
    • When the TV is on, it is not controllable and therefore stuck on one channel.
    • TV is not controllable through Remote or side buttons. It is still receiving a signal.
    • TV cannot be switched off (Need to completely unplug power cord)


    The TV was disconnected from the power line and reconnected again to solve any possible issues, however without any success. All devices that were connected to the TV were also disconnected and the TV was restarted again, but also without any success.
    The TV seem to be constantly ON, unless power cable is disconnected, and stuck onto one channel, as it is uncontrollable.

    Appreciate any feedback or a hint that may help.

    Regards,
    Hisham

  2. #2
    New Member
    Points: 185, Level: 2
    Level completed: 35%, Points required for next Level: 65
    Overall activity: 24.0%
    Achievements:
    New Achievement!31 days registered100 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    8
    Points
    185
    Level
    2
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Hisham View Post
    Hi there,
    My Philips TV was bought late 2008 and has the following details:
    Philips Model No.: 42PFL7403D/79
    Serial No: VN1B0828001513.

    Since today, the TV is malfunctioning as follows:
    • When the TV is on, it is not controllable and therefore stuck on one channel.
    • TV is not controllable through Remote or side buttons. It is still receiving a signal.
    • TV cannot be switched off (Need to completely unplug power cord)


    The TV was disconnected from the power line and reconnected again to solve any possible issues, however without any success. All devices that were connected to the TV were also disconnected and the TV was restarted again, but also without any success.
    The TV seem to be constantly ON, unless power cable is disconnected, and stuck onto one channel, as it is uncontrollable.

    Appreciate any feedback or a hint that may help.

    Regards,
    Hisham
    Dear Hisham,

    Firstly have cross checked with troubleshooting tips available in your product manual or FAQ in the Philips website?

    If your RC is working fine, and if not controllable by both RC and side buttons, the issue could be deeper and you should call the authorised Philips service team.

    If your RC is working fine, and if controllable by side butttons but not with the RC, then possibly software or hardware (sensor) problem, but still call the philips authorised service team.


    I have a similar unresolved RC problem. Check my posting/link
    http://www.supportforum.philips.com/...o-32PFL7977-V7

    But my TV side buttons are working. And I also notice, that TV has this flaw in weekdays but after an hour or so, it starts working flawless. But on weekends the problem, is more pronounced. It doesn't work at all. In fact I disconnect the dish co-axial cable, removed any hdmi or ethernet cable with just the analog TV working. And still I face the problem.

    I am contact/seeking local phililps service team and they are advising/suggesting sensor/hardware replacement. I am just exhausting all options and lastly hardware replacement, which is will decide sooner.

    Good luck to you. Keep us posted.

    Regards.

  3. #3
    Points: 121, Level: 1
    Level completed: 72%, Points required for next Level: 29
    Overall activity: 16.0%
    Achievements:
    New Achievement!7 days registered100 Experience Points
    Hisham's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    10
    Points
    121
    Level
    1
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Rep Power
    0
    Hi Roger,
    thanks for your reply. Yes, the TV is not controllable via RC or side buttons. In fact, I suspect for whatever reason the control unit inside may have given up just after 4 years of operation. I am a little dishearten as when I spoke to one of the Philips service companies here, they mentioned that they will have to charge me $70 first to look at it and after diagnosis, they will quote of the repair costs including labour. Now I am wondering if it is worthwhile all that hassle and money, and just go and buy another TV that hopefully will last longer than 4 years. Any thoughts?

  4. #4
    Points: 121, Level: 1
    Level completed: 72%, Points required for next Level: 29
    Overall activity: 16.0%
    Achievements:
    New Achievement!7 days registered100 Experience Points
    Hisham's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    10
    Points
    121
    Level
    1
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Rep Power
    0
    Just as an add-on, I have discovered today that the parts needed to fix the TV is no longer available from Philips. This is really disappointing, now a $2500 investment 4-5 years ago rendered to be useless. I have been further advised that my best option is to buy a new one and totally recycle the Philips unit. I wouldn't have considered the set if I knew that the TV will be unrepairable after 5 years. Really disappointed!

  5. #5
    New Member
    Points: 185, Level: 2
    Level completed: 35%, Points required for next Level: 65
    Overall activity: 24.0%
    Achievements:
    New Achievement!31 days registered100 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    8
    Points
    185
    Level
    2
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Hisham View Post
    Just as an add-on, I have discovered today that the parts needed to fix the TV is no longer available from Philips. This is really disappointing, now a $2500 investment 4-5 years ago rendered to be useless. I have been further advised that my best option is to buy a new one and totally recycle the Philips unit. I wouldn't have considered the set if I knew that the TV will be unrepairable after 5 years. Really disappointed!
    Now that you were informed that spare parts are no more available, you have only option to buy a new one. Make sure you buy a different brand this time. Also, no product is manufactured with long term servicability, in mind. It is more like ball-point pen - Use & throw. Only the age/time gap is more than the pens. Sorry you have to go through this. Next will be my turn, down the line, hopefully not sooner.

  6. #6
    Points: 121, Level: 1
    Level completed: 72%, Points required for next Level: 29
    Overall activity: 16.0%
    Achievements:
    New Achievement!7 days registered100 Experience Points
    Hisham's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    10
    Points
    121
    Level
    1
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Rep Power
    0
    Thanks for your comment. I will keep your advice in mind. I have already shortlisted a couple and just waiting for Boxing Day to come Merry Xmas!

  7. #7
    New Member
    Points: 185, Level: 2
    Level completed: 35%, Points required for next Level: 65
    Overall activity: 24.0%
    Achievements:
    New Achievement!31 days registered100 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    8
    Points
    185
    Level
    2
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Rep Power
    0
    As you know my 32" TV is still under warranty, after considering all available options, last week I consented for replacing the hardware. The authorised servicemen visited and replaced the RC sensor on the TV. It is only one week and I didn't face the same problems. It is working perfect. Hope it continues the same way. For now it is resolved.

    It is a very small hardware and it is just a plug-in type solution. No soldering required. I suggest this will solve your problem too. I am pasting the image of the hardware. You have to remove the back of the TV and remove the old hardware and replace the new one. Ascertain the part for your tv and you can buy it/equivalent from the open market/ebay etc. Google for the hardware too.
    Attachment 2308
    If you notice it is a single hardware with 2 small circuit board connected by a wire. One circuit board has the sensor lamp and the other circuit board has the 5 manual control buttons. The wire end is connected to the mother board and the circuit boards are just placed in their right spots in the TV.

  8. #8
    Moderator
    Points: 22,602, Level: 46
    Level completed: 6%, Points required for next Level: 948
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    New Achievement!Overdrive10000 Experience Points1 year registered
    Philips - Ina's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    3,175
    Points
    22,602
    Level
    46
    Thanks
    44
    Thanked 105 Times in 88 Posts
    Rep Power
    10
    Quote Originally Posted by Roger Mclean View Post
    As you know my 32" TV is still under warranty, after considering all available options, last week I consented for replacing the hardware. The authorised servicemen visited and replaced the RC sensor on the TV. It is only one week and I didn't face the same problems. It is working perfect. Hope it continues the same way. For now it is resolved.

    It is a very small hardware and it is just a plug-in type solution. No soldering required. I suggest this will solve your problem too. I am pasting the image of the hardware. You have to remove the back of the TV and remove the old hardware and replace the new one. Ascertain the part for your tv and you can buy it/equivalent from the open market/ebay etc. Google for the hardware too.

    If you notice it is a single hardware with 2 small circuit board connected by a wire. One circuit board has the sensor lamp and the other circuit board has the 5 manual control buttons. The wire end is connected to the mother board and the circuit boards are just placed in their right spots in the TV.

    Hi Roger,

    I'm happy to hear you have a solution for your issue with a repair.

    We do not advise self repairs of our TVs for safety and warranty reasons. We advise all customers with hardware issues to contact a local authorised service centre for repair advise.

    All our TVs are made differently and your TV is from the Asian region, therefore it would also not be applicable to most of the users of this forum.

    The image you have attached has therefore been moderated.

    Best regards,
    Ina
    Forum Mod

  9. #9
    New Member
    Points: 185, Level: 2
    Level completed: 35%, Points required for next Level: 65
    Overall activity: 24.0%
    Achievements:
    New Achievement!31 days registered100 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    8
    Points
    185
    Level
    2
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Rep Power
    0
    Hello moderator Ina,

    I do acknowledge your viewpoint and I regret if having violated the spirit/rules of the forum.

    Regards

Similar Topics

  1. 40PFL3107H/12 response time in ms
    By Aster in forum TV Forum
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 01-23-2013, 03:13 PM
  2. no response from default gateway
    By Dana in forum Smart TV: Apps
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 10-11-2012, 06:14 PM
  3. Philips 47PFL6007T Pixel response time ?
    By michaelcleo in forum TV Forum
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 09-10-2012, 09:05 PM
  4. Error messages, no response to remote control
    By chnow in forum Blu-ray: BDP7000 Series
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 09-01-2012, 08:11 AM
  5. 42pfl7603d/10 Horrible delay/lag/ slow response
    By Jarheadp in forum TV: Software 2013 models and older
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 06-09-2012, 02:17 PM

Tags for this Topic

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •