• Bookmark and Share
    Bronze Member
    Level completed: 45%, Points required for next Level: 55
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Tagger Second ClassNew Achievement!3 months registered250 Experience Points

Level
    Thanks

High pitched sound from speakers when turning on (HDMI issue)

I have an issue that I have only experienced in a certain case;
    I get a high pitched sound (5-10 seconds) from the speakers when turning on the TV. I only get the issue when the TV was powered off while on HDMI, and when a computer is connected to that HDMI, where the computer has gone into standby/sleep/hibernation while the TV was powered off.
    The volume of the sound is the same volume as it was when the TV got powered off (as in; turned off by high volume = high volume pitched sound). The sound is so high pitched that it in a case or two almost hurt my ears, and there's no way to turn it off.
    My guess is that it could be a kind of feedback, probably from the TV sending a "hello"-signal to the computer, which has to wake up first.
    A solution could be to force-mute while powering up on an external source.

One other smaller issue I have is that I have to constantly change format, because my HDMI requires full resolution, and my TV channels does not. Could you please add a memory function, where the format is bound to the selected source?

TV: 39PFL4208T/12

Computer: Acer Veriton X270
    HDMI-connection (from computer): HDMI 1.3

Bronze Member
    Achievements:

Level
    Thanks
    Is there no one who has this issue, or anyone at Philips that can help me?

Level completed: 30%, Points required for next Level: 631
    Achievements:
    New Achievement!Overdrive10000 Experience Points1 year registered
    Level
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveSatori View Post
    I have an issue that I have only experienced in a certain case;
    I get a high pitched sound (5-10 seconds) from the speakers when turning on the TV. I only get the issue when the TV was powered off while on HDMI, and when a computer is connected to that HDMI, where the computer has gone into standby/sleep/hibernation while the TV was powered off.
    The volume of the sound is the same volume as it was when the TV got powered off (as in; turned off by high volume = high volume pitched sound). The sound is so high pitched that it in a case or two almost hurt my ears, and there's no way to turn it off.
    My guess is that it could be a kind of feedback, probably from the TV sending a "hello"-signal to the computer, which has to wake up first.
    A solution could be to force-mute while powering up on an external source.

One other smaller issue I have is that I have to constantly change format, because my HDMI requires full resolution, and my TV channels does not. Could you please add a memory function, where the format is bound to the selected source?

TV: 39PFL4208T/12

Computer: Acer Veriton X270
    HDMI-connection (from computer): HDMI 1.3

Hi Steve,

Could you also please confirm which software version is currently installed on your TV, please?

Best regards,
    Ina
    Forum Mod

Bronze Member
    Achievements:

Level
    Thanks
    TPM1013E_002.025.000.001
    PQ-Version: Flash PQV0.34 2013/07/08
    AQ-Version: Flash AQV1.08 130521

Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks
    TPM1013E_002.025.000.001
    PQ-Version: Flash PQV0.34 2013/07/08
    AQ-Version: Flash AQV1.08 130521

Hi Steve,

The latest software version for your TV is 3.0.1. I would advise to update to this version and see if problem persists.

Also, what are the audio out settings on the PC?

Best regards,
    Ina
    Forum Mod

Bronze Member
    Achievements:

Level
    Thanks
    Hi Ina.

Thanks for the reply. Celebrating xmas right now with my family, so I'll be home on Thursday, and test the new software then.
    I just don't understand why I can't update through internet on the Philips OS? It says that I'm already using the newest software. But I'll just try USB-update.

My audio out settings are like this; when listening to music (foobar) it's minijack out, but when watching videos (xbmc and vlc) it's HDMI-out. BUT the problem consists no matter if any software is running. I have an idea that it might be the powersaving function that turns off computer-monitors after x number of minutes.

Bronze Member
    Achievements:

Level
    Thanks
    OK. Now I've updated to 3.0.1 and pithed sound problem persists.

ALSO I installed a Kingston 16GB USB drive to use the record-function. I formatted it through the TV (where it could have been VERY helpful with an indicator on which step you're waiting for - like writing step 5/13 or something - that also goes for the steps in the channelsearch!). Then at the USB drive write-test i got the message that the USB-stick was too slow. I just let the drive stay in the TV.
    Then when powering up the TV, it changed changed to USB-drive browser some 10 seconds after powering up, instead of the HDMI-in that it was showing. So I can imagine that every time I turn on my TV with USB drive in the bay, I will be redirected to the USB-browser screen upon powering up - am I right about that?

Bronze Member
    Achievements:

Level
    Thanks
    I've now experienced that the TV makes the noise no matter if the TV had been on HDMI while turned off, or if the computer had gone to sleep mode. Yesterday it was impossible to turn on my TV, unless my computer was unplugged, because the TV did the sound EVERY time, as long as it was turned on while the computer was connected.

ALSO I have issues with the OSD disappearing - mainly the vol/mute symbols. This has only happened since I updated to 3.0.1

Bronze Member
    Achievements:

Level
    Thanks
    Is anything happening here?

Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks
    Hi Steve,

My apologies for getting back to you late.

OK. Now I've updated to 3.0.1 and pithed sound problem persists.

ALSO I installed a Kingston 16GB USB drive to use the record-function. I formatted it through the TV (where it could have been VERY helpful with an indicator on which step you're waiting for - like writing step 5/13 or something - that also goes for the steps in the channelsearch!). Then at the USB drive write-test i got the message that the USB-stick was too slow. I just let the drive stay in the TV.
    Then when powering up the TV, it changed changed to USB-drive browser some 10 seconds after powering up, instead of the HDMI-in that it was showing. So I can imagine that every time I turn on my TV with USB drive in the bay, I will be redirected to the USB-browser screen upon powering up - am I right about that?
    The reason teh TV starts up on the USB source is because the HDD has not been formatted for recording correctly. The TV recognises this as an ordinary USB source for playback and automatically starts up on this source. It's a feature of the TV.

If the TV says the HDD is too slow, this refers to the transfer speed of the HDD. This needs to be a minimum of 30 megabits per second. If the HDD does not support a transfer speed of 30 megabits or higher the TV will not accept it as a valid disk for recording.

I've now experienced that the TV makes the noise no matter if the TV had been on HDMI while turned off, or if the computer had gone to sleep mode. Yesterday it was impossible to turn on my TV, unless my computer was unplugged, because the TV did the sound EVERY time, as long as it was turned on while the computer was connected.

ALSO I have issues with the OSD disappearing - mainly the vol/mute symbols. This has only happened since I updated to 3.0.1
    I does seem to me like an audio issue originating from the computer. Have you tried connected other HDMI devices to the TV? How about a different computer?

Could you please check the audio out settings on the computer? If possible, please change the audio output to a standard audio such as Stereo. I'd like to see if there is some sort of compatibility issue happening.

Best regards,
    Ina
    Forum Mod

Bronze Member
    Achievements:

Level
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Philips - Ina View Post
    I does seem to me like an audio issue originating from the computer. Have you tried connected other HDMI devices to the TV? How about a different computer?

Could you please check the audio out settings on the computer? If possible, please change the audio output to a standard audio such as Stereo. I'd like to see if there is some sort of compatibility issue happening.
    Hi Ina.

Thanks for clearing up the USB-issue.

The HDMI-issue is really not caused by the PC's sound setup, but maybe by the power-savings setup. The sound comes when the PC is in any kind of power-saving mode (hibernation or sleep), so as I mentioned before, a quick fix would be to incorporate a mute on the HDMI channel until the connection is fully active.

Another user has mentioned same issue, so it shouldn't be hard to replicate in your end. Just set up a Win 7 PC with HDMI to the TV, and set the PC to the lowest sleep-setting possible (like going to sleep/screensaver/powersave within 5 minutes). Then turn off the TV. Then wait a minute and turn on the TV again - I bet you that the sound will appear.