Bronze Member
    Level completed: 76%, Points required for next Level: 24
    Overall activity: 17.0%
    Achievements:
    New Achievement!31 days registered100 Experience Points

Level
    Thanks

Computer not Recognizing GoGEAR Ariaz/Azure Sa5AZU16KF

I just received a Phillips GoGEAR Ariaz/Azure for my birthday (model SA5AZU16KF/37). It arrived in the mail on Thursday, 1/2. I let it charge overnight, put stuff on it, and the only oddity was having to play around to get my playlists working. So, I went to plug it back into my computer, and the computer didn't recognize it. Instead of the player booting to the normal charging screen (where you get the Transfer and Play options), it booted up to the normal main screen, as if I had just turn it on. In addition, it had lost all charge. That was on Friday, 1/3. Over the weekend, I've tried resetting it multiple times by pushing in the reset button (as well as trying the "hit Power and Vol + at the same time" trick that I saw for other players and have also chosen to reset it to factory settings through the Settings menu, and have left it plugged into the computer, and the only change is that it seems to have mostly recharged. When the player is plugged in, and goes to the main screen, I do get an animation on the battery indicator that looks like it is recharging, and if I turn it on without it being plugged in, the battery indicator is showing that it is fully charged (so at least the USB cord and connection are working somewhat). (Edit: right after posting this, the player gave me the fully charged screen, so that's definitely working - disconnecting and reconnecting it to the computer did not let it be detected, however.)

I did try to see if the Phillips Firmware Manager could repair it, but it didn't detect it (which makes sense, since Windows doesn't detect it). I've tried it on two different computers, one a Win7 x64 Pro computer (at work), and one a Win7 x64 Home Premium one (home). I have tried different USB ports. I didn't try a different USB cable, as I couldn't find one that fit my .mp3 player either place.

At times, after hitting the reset button, the backlight seemed to come on, and at that point plugging the player into the computer did nothing. Waiting for hours fixed that, at least. It had been connected for more than 20 hours while charging this time (from Sunday night to Monday evening - it was on my home computer until I came to work my second job Monday night).

At this point, would reformatting the player via the Settings menu be the next option? I did download the documentation and the Firmware Manager installer from the Phillips site, and everything else is backed up on my computer or my older .mp3 player. Or is this purely a hardware issue? I will also say that after a short while, the .mp3 player screen will go dark while plugged in, but if I jiggle the USB cord a little bit, it comes back on.
    Last edited by mindwarp; 01-07-2014 at 01:17 AM.

Level completed: 24%, Points required for next Level: 384
    Overall activity: 99.9%
    Achievements:
    New Achievement!5000 Experience Points1 year registered
    Level
    Thanks
    Dear mindwarp,

Can you please confirm the firmware version of your player? You can find it here:
    http://www.p4c.philips.com/cgi-bin/c...w_partial.html

The latest firmware is available here: http://www.p4c.philips.com/cgi-bin/c...scy=US&slg=AEN

If you have the latest version on your device, I would suggest you to reset or format the player as explained here:
    http://www.p4c.philips.com/cgi-bin/c...w_partial.html

Kind regards,
    Philips Moderation Team

Bronze Member
    Achievements:

Level
    Thanks
    The firmware version is 1.12. I actually had already downloaded the latest version of the Device Manager before, and it did say that I had the latest version of the firmware installed on the player already back when computers were recognizing my player.

I reformatted the player using the options in the Settings menu on the player, and then reset the player again via the Reset button. I then reinstalled the latest version of the Device Manager on the computer at work (I'm there now, and that's where I have internet access). The Device Manager nor the computer recognized my player - when I connected the player to the PC, it just powered on to the main screen. I did try to shut down the player while it was connected to the PC physically, and for a split second I got the "Change and Transfer"/"Charge and Play" options screen on the player, before it went back to the main screen. The computer still didn't detect it.

I disconnected my player again and did another reset. I downloaded Songbird (side note: Songbird and the Media Converter are not available for download for the SA5AZU16KF/37 - thankfully, I already have the Media Converter installed at home, but I did download the Songbird version for the SA4ARA16KF to do this, since I never thought to copy off the installers before this problem happened) and installed it at work. Songbird didn't detect the player.

I'm fairly sure that it's something with the USB connection, as I finally got the charging selection screen back after wiggling the USB cord again. Right now, I have it balanced on top of the handheld scanner attached to the work computer that I'm on, so that I don't disturb it. That said, the computer still doesn't recognize that the player is connected. The computer I'm on at work did detect the player before (back last Friday, 1/3), so I do know that it can work here. The USB port that it is in is the one that did detect it before (and does work with other devices), and the rest of the accessible USB ports are functioning properly as well with other devices, so I'm fairly sure it's something either with the specific USB cable or the connection on the player at this point. Unfortunately, I couldn't find any other USB cables with the right connector to test with my player to try to rule a specific cable problem out. What type of connector is that on the end that goes into the player?

Anything else you can think of?

Bronze Member
    Achievements:

Level
    Thanks
    Addendum: let's make that it is definitely the USB connection that's the problem now, since the computer at work just recognized the player after a reboot and more wiggling of the USB cable on the player's end.

I did try running the Device Manager again, and it confirmed that I have the latest firmware version (1.12). When I tried to do a repair through Device Manager, however, I couldn't get the computer to rerecognize my player when I reconnected it.

I can't rule out the cable itself, so this goes back to the question of what type of connector is that on the player side to see if I can find someone who has a spare cable and see if the hardware issue is on the cable or the player's end.

Also, are there any links to download Songbird and Media Converter for the SA5AZU16KF/37, or will copies of those for previous versions of the Ariaz or other GoGEAR players work in case I have to install/reinstall those programs, since I've now lost the original installers when I formatted the player?
    Last edited by mindwarp; 01-08-2014 at 04:41 AM.

Level completed: 24%, Points required for next Level: 384
    Achievements:
    New Achievement!5000 Experience Points1 year registered
    Level
    Thanks
    Dear mindwarp,

As you mentioned above, it would be good to check the PC connection with different cable. You will need USB 2.0.

Kind regards,
    Sarka

Bronze Member
    Achievements:

Level
    Thanks
    But what type of USB 2.0 cable? Is that a micro or a mini or something else? I'm tempted to bring my player into CVS tonight when I have to pick up something else to size it on a Phillips charging kit they sell...

Level completed: 40%, Points required for next Level: 304
    Achievements:
    New Achievement!3 months registeredOverdrive5000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thanks
    Dear Users,

There is no active discussion in the past 14 days in this topic. For that reason, the topic has been closed now.

In case you want to continue the discussion, you can start a new topic or send me a PM to re-open the topic.

Kind regards,
    Philips Moderation Team