Achievements:
    Tagger Second ClassNew Achievement!1 year registered5000 Experience Points
    Awards:
    Downloads

Level
    Thanks

Exclamation HDNM/PNM just doesn't work

HDNM is said to create artifacts.

Well I don't care about the artifacts, like many people.

The thing is - HDNM/PNM sometimes don't work at all, especially with HD video.

To test HDNM (or PNM) in a reliable fashion, you can do the following:

1) Play a HD video with a complex picture in it. HD video is mandatory and is the standard on most TV channels nowadays anyway. Typical examples of complex pictures: a picture with lots, LOTS of tiny details everywhere on the screen, like in a forest during fall, in the jungle (marchlands), tall grass, complex image with lots of trees, debris, etc. Ideally, the video should be shot in 24/25/30 fps, eg. movie footage, so that HDNM being enabled or disabled really looks and feels very different.

2) Oberve the picture carefully. HDNM/PNM will have a hard time with all the details : it will be enabled/disabled many times. Sometimes, it will remain disabled for a long time. In other words, it won't work at all.

This seems worse with firmware 150.89 than it was with 150.83. PNM is set to 'Maximum' on my 42PFL6067 in both cases.

Haven't tried yet with 150.92.

I have tried the same video with a 2012 Sony TV, and the video plays smoothly.

This looks like a bug to me, as PNM set to 'Maximum' tells the TV I want maximum smoothness, just like this is the case for other brands (eg. 'Smooth' setting with Samsung or Sony TVs)

Bug.

Level completed: 6%, Points required for next Level: 948
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    New Achievement!Overdrive10000 Experience Points1 year registered
    Level
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by martytv View Post
    HDNM is said to create artifacts.

Well I don't care about the artifacts, like many people.

The thing is - HDNM/PNM sometimes don't work at all, especially with HD video.

To test HDNM (or PNM) in a reliable fashion, you can do the following:

1) Play a HD video with a complex picture in it. HD video is mandatory and is the standard on most TV channels nowadays anyway. Typical examples of complex pictures: a picture with lots, LOTS of tiny details everywhere on the screen, like in a forest during fall, in the jungle (marchlands), tall grass, complex image with lots of trees, debris, etc. Ideally, the video should be shot in 24/25/30 fps, eg. movie footage, so that HDNM being enabled or disabled really looks and feels very different.

2) Oberve the picture carefully. HDNM/PNM will have a hard time with all the details : it will be enabled/disabled many times. Sometimes, it will remain disabled for a long time. In other words, it won't work at all.

This seems worse with firmware 150.89 than it was with 150.83. PNM is set to 'Maximum' on my 42PFL6067 in both cases.

Haven't tried yet with 150.92.

I have tried the same video with a 2012 Sony TV, and the video plays smoothly.

This looks like a bug to me, as PNM set to 'Maximum' tells the TV I want maximum smoothness, just like this is the case for other brands (eg. 'Smooth' setting with Samsung or Sony TVs)

Bug.

Hi martytv,

If you do get a chance to test this with software version 150.92, feel free to report it in the software threads.

Thank you!

Ina
    Forum Mod