Bronze Member
    Level completed: 76%, Points required for next Level: 24
    Overall activity: 17.0%
    Achievements:
    New Achievement!31 days registered100 Experience Points

Level
    Thanks

Multiple Questions/Problems with GoGEAR Ariaz/Azure SA5AZU16KF Player

Multiple questions, some of which I asked in my other thread about my computer not recognizing my GoGEAR Ariaz/Azure SA5AZU16KF player:

1. What type of USB connector is on the player itself? I've narrowed down my connection issues to being with either a bad cable of the connector on the player, as it does eventually connect properly if I wiggle the cord. I don't have any matching cables at home, so I was wondering what to look for to try to borrow or buy another cable to confirm where the issue lies.

2. I reformatted my player as part of troubleshooting that problem, and I didn't have the installers for Songbird or the Media Converter backed up. I could download the correct versions of the manuals and the Device Manager from the page for the SA5AZU16KF, but the rest of the software that was included wasn't listed. I did find what looked like the latest versions of both other programs on other players' pages - will those be okay should I ever need to reinstall the software?

3. The SA5AZU16KF does support .m3u playlists, so I copied the contents of my old RCA .mp3 player over to my hard drive and used Winamp to resync them to the SA5AZU16KF. Unfortunately, even though the playlists appear fine if I actually look at the files in Notepad, and work fine and pull the correct .mp3 files from the right locations on the SA5AZU16KF if I open them in Winamp or WMP, the SA5AZU16KF does not open the playlists correctly in Playlist view. Either it lists incorrect tracks, or it will list blank space for some tracks at the beginning of the playlist and then start listing later contents correctly. If I try playing one of those later files, the first track whose name is shown is considered the first track of the playlist, and tracks that aren't in that playlist are added to the end (and which do not show up in Playlist view when looking at the list). Oddly, some playlists work fine, but I haven't been able to pinpoint exactly why.

Files that show up as blank spaces don't play if I choose a black space. Instead I get an unsupported file format message. If I browse through Album or Artist view for the file, it shows up, and plays fine.

Since my RCA did have a limit as to the length of the full path and filename of a file, I had everything syncing to Music\<insert Genre here>\<insert filename here>.mp3 when I synced stuff to the SA5AZU16KF, since I figured that if there was a similar limit that I wouldn't trip it (all playlists did work on the RCA player). The playlists all synced to the Playlist folder on the SA5AZU16KF, and all playlists are at least detected as being there and do open, even if the contents display incorrectly. All files are .mp3 files. No filenames have any odd characters that would cause any problems with .m3u files (some of the song titles and artists do, but some of the files that work have odd characters in them (Japanese characters, mostly), so I wouldn't think that's a problem).

Because of the length and odd characters in some of my album and artist names, I didn't want to use WMP to sync my playlists. I did try it, however, and that didn't work either. In addition, I tried to import my playlists into Songbird, and some of them weren't imported. I did notice that ones that didn't import into Songbird had longer titles.

I have repeatedly tried reformatting and resetting my SA5AZU16KF, but that hasn't helped. I do have the latest firmware version (1.12). After fighting with this for a week, and not seeing any common reasons as to what some work and some don't work, I figured I would ask. Are there any limitations on playlist names/contents that I'm missing? Is there any other reason this wouldn't consistently work?

Silver Member
    Level completed: 22%, Points required for next Level: 156
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:
    New Achievement!1000 Experience Points1 year registered

Level
    Thanks
    Hello mindwarp,

On the following link you can find instructions for the transferring the music from the PC to the player:
    http://www.p4c.philips.com/cgi-bin/c...w_partial.html

I don't think you can use Winamp for that. You can create playlists through the Winamp too though.

By the way, I am not sure if this applies to you but it might be worth to try in case your PC does not recognize the device:
    http://www.p4c.philips.com/cgi-bin/c...w_partial.html

Cheers,
    V.

Bronze Member
    Level completed: 76%, Points required for next Level: 24
    Overall activity: 17.0%
    Achievements:
    New Achievement!31 days registered100 Experience Points

Level
    Thanks
    Winamp actually transfers the music just fine along with the playlists. All music files are there and do work if I go through different views under Music. The player, however, isn't reading the playlist contents correctly. If I try to resend a playlist by itself (delete it and let the sync recreate with the files already on the player), I can get a different result than before (sometimes one that did work doesn't, and vice versa). If I actually look at the playlists in Notepad, the contents are correct (I'm familiar with manually editing .m3u files - heck, before I tried using Winamp, I just tried copying the music and playlists over from the RCA player, since the folder structure was almost the same except that folder names were in uppercase, and then manually fixing the paths in the .m3u files, and had the same problems), and if I open up the playlist with the player connected to my PC in any media player software (like WMP), the playlist works correctly, playing the correct files on the player. That's why I'm wondering if there's any odd syntax issues, or maybe even more stringent filename character limit issues, or something even weirder.

As for my PC not connecting consistently to the player, that solution is for Macs only. It's definitely either a bad USB cable or a problem connector on the player itself, as wiggling the cable lets it eventually work.

Thanks for trying to help, though!

Level completed: 35%, Points required for next Level: 328
    Overall activity: 99.9%
    Achievements:
    New Achievement!3 months registeredOverdrive5000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thanks
    Dear Users,

There is no active discussion in the past 14 days in this topic. For that reason, the topic has been closed now.

In case you want to continue the discussion, you can start a new topic or send me a PM to re-open the topic.

Kind regards,
    Philips Moderation Team