Level completed: 96%, Points required for next Level: 2
    Overall activity: 36.0%
    Achievements:
    New Achievement!

Level
    Thanks

39PFL3208H/12 multiple issues

Dear all,

Since a few months I own a Philips 39PFL3208H/12 Smart LED TV, and have had a few minor issues with it, but nothing really bad. However, since today I'm having some real serious problems with the television.

I get the TV signal through a coax wire, the signal is analog. For internet functionality I use a LAN cable.

Firmware version of the TV:
    - Version: TPM1013E_003.000.000.001
    - PQ version: Flash PQV0.34 2013/07/08
    - AQ version: Flash AQV1.08 130521

The minor problems I encounter:

- I can't set the internal clock (tried following the manual, the menu options it tells me to select aren't in my TV's menu)
    - I can't order my TV channel list (same as above, menu options as suggested by the manual aren't there in my TV's menu)
    - I can't name the TV channels (again, same as above)

The major problems I encounter (since today):
    - When the internet cable is connected to the TV, the moment I try to use a function which requires a working internet connection (e.g. Smart TV or check for updates), the TV freezes. The channel I was watching won't freeze, sound will still play, but the TV isn't responding to the remote anymore. Sometimes it will unfreeze after about 5 - 10 minutes, sometimes it won't and I have to pull the plug to turn the TV off. Also with some non-internet needy things the TV freezes if the LAN cable is connected, for example when trying to change a few image settings. This is very, very annoying, basically makes the TV's Smart functionality useless.
    - The TV doesn't recognize HDMI signals. I've got my PC wired to the TV with a HDMI cable. The PC 'sees' the TV, but the TV doesn't recognize the signal my PC sends. I've had it working since I bought the TV, but now suddenly it stopped working. Really weird, and again extremely annoying.

Does anyone know what to do? I'm starting to think a few components of the TV are failing and I should return it for warranty. Also I find it very weird that since day one, a few menu options, which are mentioned in the TV's manual, just aren't there in the actual TV's menu.

I hope someone can help me.

Thanks in advance!

Yours sincerely,

Koekemoeroetoe

--- EDIT ---

Forgot to add:
    I already tested the LAN cable (it's working, so that's not the problem) and already have reset the TV, but problems persist.
    Last edited by Koekemoeroetoe; 01-24-2014 at 08:11 PM.

Level completed: 41%, Points required for next Level: 29
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    New Achievement!

Level
    Thanks
    The same problem today. I tested LAN, Wi-Fi, restart, factory settings, but nothing changed. Really, really annoying. Maybe is something wrong with Philips servers...please, do something with it!

--- EDIT ---

Forgot to say, i have Philips 32PFL4508K.
    Last edited by Ondřej Klézl; 01-24-2014 at 09:15 PM.

Achievements:
    New Achievement!

Level
    Thanks
    Ond™ej Klézl, thanks for your reply! I'm glad I'm not the only one with that problem.

I've managed to resolve the HDMI issue by, again, plugging in and out the HDMI cable and trying to detect a new screen on my PC.

The Smart TV issue persists though, it still 'freezes' my TV, in a way that I still see what the channel is broadcasting and hear the sound, but I can;t do anything with the remote. Eventually the Smart TV app will load, this takes about 5 minutes (always used to be 10 seconds). When Smart TV is loaded, the remote functions again. If I then close Smart TV, and try to start it again, I need to wait another 5 minutes.

Does the TV connect to a Philips server? If so, would that explain why it suddenly takes ages to get into Smart TV mode?

Achievements:
    New Achievement!

Level
    Thanks
    I'm also glad, that I'm not the only one, because i know, that it's probably not problem in my TV. As you said, the TV is freezing only if the network is connected and if you want to check for software updates or if you want to access Smart TV functions. When you are doing this, the TV must communicate with some servers (probably Philips servers), because the updates and apps is somewhere saved. This servers can be overloaded or has some other problems, so i think that we must wait for some steps from Philips.

Achievements:
    New Achievement!

Level
    Thanks
    So, the problem seems to be solved for me. I hope for you too.

Achievements:
    New Achievement!

Level
    Thanks
    Haven't tried it again yet, will do that today

Achievements:
    New Achievement!

Level
    Thanks
    I tested it today again and for me is everything ok.

Achievements:
    New Achievement!

Level
    Thanks
    Tested it and indeed it is working again!

Still I find it weird that a downed Philips server can freeze my whole TV. I've studied Information Sciences for 1,5 years, and one of the first things they taught me is that you DO NOT make a 'process' dependent on another process, unless absolutely necessary. In the TV this would translate to that you program the TV in a way, that if the internet/server connection fails, it will NOT, under any circumstances, freeze the whole TV.
    There should be a time-out function, that if the Philips server would take more than 30 seconds to respond to the TV, the TV gives a notification and continues with normal operation.

Let's hope the Philips server stays up from now on... Atleast I now know that it's not a faulty TV when Smart TV stops working properly.

Level completed: 9%, Points required for next Level: 91
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    New Achievement!31 days registered100 Experience Points

Level
    Thanks
    Hi all,

A week ago I bought 46PFL4908H/12 and immediatly ran into problems with tv conneted to the internet. Same problems with freezing as in OP. I had to unplug the cord countless times before I realised it had something to do with the internet connection. Because of all these problems with my not even one day old tv I already contacted my dealer and negotiated a return of a defective product. Lucky for philips, after a day things started to work and I blamed everything on the cables of my years old dvd player and decided to test the tv for a few more days. But it's funny as I realize it's actually philips' half baked smart tv ecosystem the cause of all these problems. It's incomprehensible to me as a software engineer that a bug on the server can actually affect the tv in such way...

Oh, and this wasn't the only problem with smart tv functionality in one week owning this tv. There was also two day long shortage because of "maintenance". Sorry philips, your quality of service sucks big time.
    Last edited by frgo; 01-31-2014 at 09:21 AM.