• Bookmark and Share
    Level completed: 72%, Points required for next Level: 29
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    New Achievement!31 days registered100 Experience Points

Level
    Thanks

Unhappy SA5AZU04KF/12 proposed firmware improvements

Hello, I have just bought the GoGEAR Azure MP4 Player and I would like to propose several firmware improvements.
    In fact, I think that there are margins for improvement.

a) Folder view:
    1. In the main menu, select "Folder view"
    2. Select subfolder "Music"
    3. Play a song
    4. Press "Back one level" until you go back to the main menu
    5. Select "Now playing"
    6. PROBLEM: While in "Now Playing", select "Back one level" --> it goes back to the main menu instead of going to the folder of "Folder view" where the song that you are playing is contained

PROPOSAL: at point 6. when you select "Back one level" you go back to the folder where the song currently being played is contained

b) View songs by Album:
    1. The album cover is displayed to the left of each line
    2. PROBLEM: when you move the navigation buttons up/down the screen flashes, the selection becomes very slow and there is a lag between when you press the navigation buttons and the moment in which you go actually down/up along the album list.

PROPOSAL: remove the cover in the section in which you select the album

c) Albums/Songs:
    1. When you choose songs by album or song name, there are only 4 songs on the screen because each song is made of two lines

PROPOSAL: keep only 1 line with the name of the album or the title of the song (without the artist in the second line)

d) Music:
    1. From the main menu, select "Music"
    2. If you move up/down you scroll up/down albums or artists or songs
    3. If you move left/right you move from songs by album to songs by artist and so on

PROPOSAL: After you select music, there is an intermediate level where you select artist, album and so on. once you enter into a section (e.g. album) you have more albums in the screen because you will have more space at the top of the screen and you can use the left/right buttons to move to the next 4/5 albums (instead of going one by one using up/down)

e) Folder view:
    1. Select Folder view from the main menu
    2. PROBLEM: If you press left/right navigation buttons, nothing happens

PROPOSAL: use left/right buttons to move to the next group of items (instead of scrolling down/up one at the time)

f) Go back one level during now playing:
    1. Play a song and keep the player in "now playing"
    2. Listen to the music and, several songs later, go back one level
    3. PROBLEM: the song highlighted is the original one and not the current one

PROPOSAL: when you go up one level, the highlighted song is the one currently being played

Can you tell me how to implement some of this proposal myself, if possible? Or can you include them in the next firmware release. The product itself will benefit greatly from them.
    Points b and c seem pretty straightforward for an expert person to implement.

Thanks
    Last edited by __marco__; 02-02-2014 at 01:35 PM.

Achievements:

Level
    Thanks
    Hello,
    On the top of what I have already written:

g) Track number of the album
    1. You load onto the player songs from an album, with all the details in good order for each song (name of the album, track number, etc)
    2. PROBLEM: When you select the album (either in "play by album" or "folder view") the track number is ignored and songs are displayed in alphabetic order (this is a very serious one)

h) Folder view
    1. PROBLEM: when the name of the song or the album doesnít fit the screen, it doesn't move and you cannot see the final part of the name

i) Songs by Artist
    1. Keep down button pressed
    2. A, B, C...
    3. PROBLEM: when you release the button you are left in the middle of the letter, not at the beginning

Is there any intention by Philips to improve this product? I am not very happy with my purchase

Thanks
    Best Regards,

Marco

Level completed: 40%, Points required for next Level: 304
    Overall activity: 99.9%
    Achievements:
    New Achievement!3 months registeredOverdrive5000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thanks
    Dear Marco,

Thank you for your constructive input. Philips are constantly working on improving our products and the voice of our consumers is extremely important to us.

Your proposed firmware improvements will be forwarded to our Development Team for their consideration in the future software/hardware releases.

Kind regards,
    Philips Moderation Team

Achievements:

Level
    Thanks
    Hi,
    Thanks for your reply.
    I hope there is really something going on to improve the product because at present this mp3 player is not worth its price.

Best Regards,

Marco

Bronze Member
    Level completed: 76%, Points required for next Level: 24
    Overall activity: 17.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by __marco__ View Post
    Hello,
    On the top of what I have already written:

g) Track number of the album
    1. You load onto the player songs from an album, with all the details in good order for each song (name of the album, track number, etc)
    2. PROBLEM: When you select the album (either in "play by album" or "folder view") the track number is ignored and songs are displayed in alphabetic order (this is a very serious one)
    In Folder View, I think it's displaying it in the order the .mp3s were transferred to the device, not alphanumerically, if your model is acting similarly to my SA5AZU16KF (which it most likely is, since they're the same generation of Ariaz players). I made folders for each of my playlists, transferred the .mp3s for each playlist to them, and then renamed each one so that the filename starts with the number it's at in the playlist, with leading zeroes. If it was doing it alphanumerically, then my playlists would show up in the right order that way. I'm going to try copying those files off and then back so that they copy in the right order - if that works, that may be a PITA workaround for this problem for you.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to mindwarp For This Useful Post:

__marco__ (03-18-2014)

Bronze Member
    Level completed: 76%, Points required for next Level: 24
    Overall activity: 17.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thanks
    Sorry to double post - I couldn't edit my last post. Anyway, if it is working the same as my player, than Folder View is showing the files (and subfolders, actually) in the order they were added. To get them in the order you want, rename the tracks so that the track number is at the beginning of the filenames (with trailing zeros as needed). After that, Google "FAT32 file sorter" for tools to reset up the FAT table so that the files are listed in it in alphabetical order. There's a number of tools - I ended up using mp3DirSorterE - so pick whichever one works best for you. This, so far, is the only way I could have a working workaround for the inconsistent .m3u support.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to mindwarp For This Useful Post:

__marco__ (03-18-2014)

Achievements:

Level
    Thanks
    Hi mindwarp, thank you very much for your suggestions!
    I can confirm that my player works the same way as yours - files and folders in folderview are displayed according to the sequence they were added to the device LOL

To me this is simply not acceptable nowadays because we are talking about a very basic requirement for an mp3 player.
    What I would expect from an mp3 player is to be a good mp3 player and not just a trade-off between an average (or possibly below) mp3 player, ebook reader, picture (that you cannot view while listening to music), videos etc... Unfortunately the GOGEAR falls in the second category (just a personal opinion).

Your troubleshooting method is very good Thanks for sharing!
    For now I will not spend any time renaming all my songs and using your clever trick to make the player work because I'm convinced that the player should be capable of working properly without all this hassle to the end user.
    If in the future I'm desperate for listening songs according to their album sequence I will definitely follow your advice, or I will get rid of the GOGEAR and just get a player that works as it should (there is also the case that this bug is fixed by Philips, we will see...)

Thanks again for your suggestion!