Bronze Member
    Level completed: 13%, Points required for next Level: 174
    Overall activity: 10.0%
    Achievements:
    New Achievement!3 months registered500 Experience Points

Level
    Thanks
    Hi
    Please give me the ability to downgrade to 045. Its not real that my ambilight on the 8708 flickering for 1 month and you dont give me the ability to downgrade.

Bronze Member
    Level completed: 31%, Points required for next Level: 139
    Overall activity: 26.0%
    Achievements:
    New Achievement!3 months registered1000 Experience Points

Level
    Thanks

Sound comes with lag from TV speakers. (HDMI / PS4)

Hi,

Last night when playing Tomb Raider Definitive Edition with PS4. I noticed that the sound from the game comes with noticeable lag from the TV's speakers. And almost a half second of lag, I must add.

PS4 is connected directly to 55PFL8008S (fw: 173.46) with HDMI cable (HDMI1-slot) and I'm using TV's built-in speakers. So there should be nothing special which could cause a lag.

I've had my suspicions about there being a audio lag for a while now, but it's a bit hard to tell when you're playing a video game whether it's just bad animation work with the lip-sync.

The way I noticed and confirmed the lag, is that PS4 Dualshock 4 controller has a built-in speaker as you might know.

In Tomb Raider, there are these collectible audio-logs and when you play them, they play out from both; controller and the TV. If the setup works properly, the sound should play synchronized from TV and controller.

Now with PFL8008S this makes a echoing horrible mess of this, because the TV sound comes so far behind behind from the controller sound and they both play the same audio. First the controller starts playing the sound, and a half seconds later TV joins in too. Hence, the audio lag.

Any of the TV-settings won't change this, cause there's only a way to further postpone audio (IE. adding lag, not reducing it) this via the settings of the TV. I also tried disabling Game mode etc. Nothing helped.

I also tried connecting PS4 to my other TV's and surprisingly enough, the controller and tv-speakers were totally in sync with the sound. Still puzzles me why this over 2000€ TV is still filled with all sorts of strange bugs and issues, a year after release too I might add.

If you have further questions of this issue, please ask. And if you know a way to fix this, please answer.

I hope that you guys in Philips dig in to this critical issue, as soon as possible.

Bronze Member
    Level completed: 26%, Points required for next Level: 148
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    New Achievement!1 year registered1000 Experience Points

Level
    Thanks
    @antti-la: you're not the only one with audio sync issues when using a HDMI input.

My 40PFL8008K has the same issue when I watch TV through my external Humax 5050C decoder.

In the previous firmware version there were also audio sync issues when watching TV through the internal decoder using CI+, but that was fixed.

For me, the issue only occurs with Dolby Digital 2.0 or 5.1 streams. Switching to PCM stereo fixes the issue.

Can you see what happens if you switch your PS4 to PCM stereo output (if possible)?

Level completed: 93%, Points required for next Level: 61
    Overall activity: 99.9%
    Achievements:
    New Achievement!Overdrive10000 Experience Points1 year registered
    Level
    Thanks
    Hi all.

I'm interested in additional information in regards to both audio delay (audio sync) and audio drop out.

Please let me know the following:

DELAY ISSUE:

What comes first: Video or audio?

Does adjusting the Audio delay setting on the TV reduce the delay or increase it?

Is the issue present on both TV speakers and audio output or just one? If just one, which one?

What is the estimated time of the delay?

Is the delay continuous (about 200 ms) or is it fluctuating (going over 1 second)

Is it solved when changing the source of the TV ( going to TV mode, preset change of a setup box is not enough)

DELAY + DROP ISSUE:

If only present via audio out and not TV speakers, what output is used?

What sources are affected? All or specific sources?

Does changing the audio from multichannel/advanced/5.1 to stereo/PCM/standard change anything? Does it improve or "resolve" the delay?
    (NB! Depending on where the issue presents itself, you may need to change settings on both external device and/or TV).

Thank you!

Best regards,
    Ina
    Forum Mod

Bronze Member
    Level completed: 31%, Points required for next Level: 139
    Overall activity: 26.0%
    Achievements:
    New Achievement!3 months registered1000 Experience Points

Level
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MauriceW View Post

Can you see what happens if you switch your PS4 to PCM stereo output (if possible)?
    Thanks for the answer. It actually was defaulted to PCM Linear, so no change there. I also tried DTS and it had the same, if not worse behavior.

@Ina

DELAY ISSUE:

Video comes first.

Does adjusting the Audio delay setting on the TV reduce the delay or increase it?

No, as described the video comes first. So the Audio delay only makes it worse by increasing it.

Is the issue present on both TV speakers and audio output or just one? If just one, which one?

TV speakers. I tried connecting headphones directly to TV and they also have a lag on audio. Don't have a separate set of speakers so can't confirm.

I'm not good estimating, but it could be 200-400ms

Is the delay continuous (about 200 ms) or is it fluctuating (going over 1 second)

I think it stays the same. So continuous.

Is it solved when changing the source of the TV ( going to TV mode, preset change of a setup box is not enough)

No.

DELAY + DROP ISSUE:

At least Sony Playstation 3 and Playstation 4 both have the same lag.

Does changing the audio from multichannel/advanced/5.1 to stereo/PCM/standard change anything? Does it improve or "resolve" the delay?
    (NB! Depending on where the issue presents itself, you may need to change settings on both external device and/or TV).

I tried every setting and combination available. Both on the devices and on the TV. But the problem persist.

Here's a small video demonstrating the problem

philips audio lag issue ps4

The first voice (which comes from the controller) is in sync with the video and plays correctly. The voice which comes from TV speakers comes shortly after creating this irritating echo.
    Last edited by antti-la; 03-12-2014 at 04:27 PM.

Bronze Member
    Achievements:

Level
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Philips - Ina View Post
    Hi all.

I'm interested in additional information in regards to both audio delay (audio sync) and audio drop out.

Please let me know the following:

DELAY ISSUE:

Video comes first.

It increases delay, since the video already comes first.

For me it's present on TV speakers. If I use HDMI ARC and let the sound come through my receiver there is no delay.

I would say about 200 ms.

It's continuous.

No.

DELAY + DROP ISSUE:

N/A

I only tested with my Humax 5050C decoder connected to HDMI 1.

For me there is a difference yes. My TV provider gives me multiple audio streams in the same TV channel. When I use the PCM stereo channel there is no delay. When I use the DD 2.0 or 5.1 channel there is a delay.
    Additional info:

1. The delay issue seems to have been introduced with the firmware that fixed the 24p ambilight flickering.

2. My parents have the same decoder (Humax 5050C) connected to a Philips 40PFL9704H and they don't have the issue.

Level completed: 20%, Points required for next Level: 160
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thanks
    Sound Switch between TV speakers and Amplifier(HDMI ARC)

Setup :
    TV 46PFL8008K v000.173.046.000
    Amplifier Denon AVR-3313

Hello,

I've connected my TV with my amp by HDMI and can ARC not working anymore. In the past it worked excelent and with the new firmware not anymore. I tryed everything... if I select speakers in the sound menu the tv gives "Switching to Amplifier", and then "failed".. The Amp does not have many options and worked ok with previous firmware.

Now i've installed a optic cable to resolve the issue but this sould not be the solution.

chirs

Bronze Member
    Level completed: 50%, Points required for next Level: 100
    Achievements:
    Tagger Second ClassNew Achievement!100 Experience Points3 months registered

Level
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by kinycobain View Post
    after upgrading to the latest firmware version 173 046:
    when in stanby, pressing the button to turn on the remote control does not respond,
    I have to press the back button to turn it on.

tried disconnecting power of television, but still the same.
    Hello Philips,

I have the same issue described by kinycobain, when I switch the TV on Standby, and I want to switch it back to action, the remote control buttons do not switch the TV on. I need to go to the back buttons of the TV and switch it completely off, wait few seconds and switch it on again with the Back button.
    Quickstart is NOT active on my TV, as I have a USB drive connected to it and when Quickstart is active and the TV is on standby it does not switch off the USB HDD drive.
    I have the last FW on my 46PFL8008K/12 NL.

Thanks for support,
    J.Belm

Bronze Member
    Level completed: 3%, Points required for next Level: 195
    Achievements:

Level
    Thanks
    I can only repeat what I already posted in the thread for the .044 firmware:

PLEASE FIX THE DYNAMIC BACKLIGHT.
    With the standard mode now being the same as the best picture mode it is completely useless as it dims dark scenes far too aggressively.
    Also limit the stretching/pushing of contrast of the dynamic backlight as it blows out highlight details. This causes white highlights to get a blue-greenish or reddish tint sometimes and especially makes watching black and white movies with the dynamic backlight engaged very annoying.

Bronze Member
    Achievements:

Level
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by DannyN View Post
    I can only repeat what I already posted in the thread for the .044 firmware:

PLEASE FIX THE DYNAMIC BACKLIGHT.
    With the standard mode now being the same as the best picture mode it is completely useless as it dims dark scenes far too aggressively.
    Also limit the stretching/pushing of contrast of the dynamic backlight as it blows out highlight details. This causes white highlights to get a blue-greenish or reddish tint sometimes and especially makes watching black and white movies with the dynamic backlight engaged very annoying.
    Hello DannyN,

Concerning your questions, I found a recommended settings for this TV by a 3rd party expert reviewer, and I followed these instructions and I really like how my TV looks like with this settings.
    I suggest you try these settings and you see if it fits what you like.
    http://www.avforums.com/threads/phil...tings.1769388/
    Best regards,
    J.Belm

Bronze Member
    Achievements:

Level
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by J.Belm View Post
    Hello DannyN,

Concerning your questions, I found a recommended settings for this TV by a 3rd party expert reviewer, and I followed these instructions and I really like how my TV looks like with this settings.
    I suggest you try these settings and you see if it fits what you like.
    http://www.avforums.com/threads/phil...tings.1769388/
    Best regards,
    J.Belm
    Hi J.Belm,

My post was not a question but an observation/complaint. The dynamic backlight feature could be much better and actually useable if only the engineers at Philips knew what they were doing and would adhere to standards. At the moment the feature is completely unusable (and I have it turned off) if you don't want to be confronted with scenes that go too dark when they shouldn't or highlight details which are blown out/discoloured because the contrast is pushed too far.

I'm aware of the settings posted by the reviewer of avforums. However, I own a meter and software myself with which I can calibrate my tv to ISF standards so I have no use for them.

Regards,
    Danny

Bronze Member
    Achievements:

Level
    Thanks
    @DannyN: Could you post your current settings in the recommend settings thread on this forum?

Bronze Member
    Achievements:

Level
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MauriceW View Post
    @DannyN: Could you post your current settings in the recommend settings thread on this forum?
    No problem. Just keep in mind that every tv (even of the same model) is different and copying settings from others will only get you an approximation of what is possible if you (or a professional) calibrated your own tv with a meter and software.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to DannyN For This Useful Post:

J.Belm (03-27-2014)

Bronze Member
    Achievements:

Level
    Thanks
    Thanks. I know that not every TV is the same, but it's nice to have something to start with and to compare my settings with those from other people

Bronze Member
    Achievements:

Level
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by DannyN View Post
    Hi J.Belm,

My post was not a question but an observation/complaint. The dynamic backlight feature could be much better and actually useable if only the engineers at Philips knew what they were doing and would adhere to standards. At the moment the feature is completely unusable (and I have it turned off) if you don't want to be confronted with scenes that go too dark when they shouldn't or highlight details which are blown out/discoloured because the contrast is pushed too far.

I'm aware of the settings posted by the reviewer of avforums. However, I own a meter and software myself with which I can calibrate my tv to ISF standards so I have no use for them.

Regards,
    Danny
    Hi DannyN,

After your post, I have been playing around with the settings & the dynamic backlight... Now that I understand better the setting & what it should do, I see your point, and I agree with you.
    I have the setting OFF, but on dark scenes I can see an area of the TV that has too much light creating a grey area that should be black. When activating the dynamic backlight to any setting, then the image gets darker with a delay of 1 second aproximatelly delivering a very strange effect.
    I hope that people in phillips works on this setting to make it smoother.
    I also agree that the names of the different options are not easy to understand how it is supose to work.
    Thanks for your feedback and best regards,
    J.Belm

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast