Level completed: 58%, Points required for next Level: 85
    Overall activity: 50.0%
    Achievements:
    New Achievement!3 months registeredTagger Second Class500 Experience Points

Level
    Thanks

Exclamation Sound micro cuts via SPDIF

Hi guys,

End of november 2013 i bought a 55PFL7108 Tv.
    Since the first day i got issues with the spdif (optical) audio output.
    No problem in stereo mode but i get persistant micro cuts when the optical output is configured in Multichannel mode.
    This prevent me from enjoying 5.1 movies on my sound system.

If you also have the issue, please reply with your tv model, your firmware version and since when you have to face this issue.
    By doing that I hope that philips engineers will realise that this is not an isolated issue but a long lasting one ( some users suffer from this issue since years, even on earlier models).

Thanks guys.
    Last edited by ecazin; 02-14-2014 at 07:34 AM.

Level completed: 30%, Points required for next Level: 631
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    New Achievement!Overdrive10000 Experience Points1 year registered
    Level
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ecazin View Post
    Hi guys,

End of november 2013 i bought a 55PFL7108 Tv.
    Since the first day i got issues with the spdif (optical) audio output.
    No problem in stereo mode but i get persistant micro cuts when the optical output is configured in Multichannel mode.
    This prevent me from enjoying 5.1 movies on my sound system.

If you also have the issue, please reply with your tv model, your firmware version and since when you have to face this issue.
    By doing that I hope that philips engineers will realise that this is not an isolated issue but a long lasting one ( some users suffer from this issue since years, even on earlier models).

Thanks guys.

Hi ecazin.

We are already aware that this is not an isolated issue, but we have had only few reports.

I have moved your thread to the overall Software 2013 models, as this could potentially affect other series from 6xx8 - 9xx8 as well.

I would request that users also list the connected device brand and model.

Please ensure that the connected device is also up to date with the latest software.

Thanks
    Ina
    Forum Mod

Level completed: 81%, Points required for next Level: 39
    Overall activity: 16.0%
    Achievements:
    New Achievement!3 months registered500 Experience Points

Level
    Thanks
    Hello everyone,

I've got exactly the same issue as Ecazin mentions on my 47PFL7008K/12.

My TV is connected via SPDIF to a Samsung HT-TX35 Home Cinema, which works perfectly when the input is another device than the TV.

I noticed that the higher the bitrate is, the higher is the number of micro-cuts.

Level completed: 19%, Points required for next Level: 40
    Overall activity: 0%

Level
    Thanks
    Everyone,

I also experience these micro-cuts in multichannel audio mode when the audio stream format is Dolby-Digital. The sound gets like muted for a second or two, the frequency how of this happens varies from a lot (from after every 10 or so seconds to once a minute). It does not seem to correlate any audible things happening in the movie. It does not matter if it is tv broadcast or content from an usb-stick. It does not seem to correlate to the bit rate of the audio stream either.

I have been contact with customer care and they told it is about my stereo system (Bose Cinemate II) not properly handling VBR (variable bit rate) decoding. But if I put Dolby Digital sample [1] on an USB-stick which for sure has CBR (constant bit rate) Dolby Digital audio stream these micro cuts are still happening. Using other CBR DD samples with e.g. higher bit rates (e.g. 448 kbps, 5.1, 48.0 kHz) the these micro cuts is still the there with similar frequency and pattern.

So either the TV set must first decode my CBR audio and then re-encode it as VBR before putting it out through the SPDIF to my Bose system. Or there must be something else broken in the TV set audio stream handling which has nothing to do with Bose (or any other) handling of VBR audio stream as claimed by the customer care.

My Bose system plays the same content (using the same optical audio cable) from PS3 or Samsung TV set just fine without any micro-cuts.

Still waiting the answer from the customer care for my reply to their first comment.

My TV is 55PFL6678S, running (now) 173.46 but this has been the issue from the beginning.

[1] http://download.dolby.com/Content_Do...vils-large.mp4 (224 kbps, 5.1 CBR, 48.0 kHz)

Silver Member
    Level completed: 58%, Points required for next Level: 85
    Overall activity: 50.0%
    Achievements:
    New Achievement!3 months registeredTagger Second Class500 Experience Points

Level
    Thanks

Exclamation

Quote Originally Posted by tajuma View Post
    Everyone,

I also experience these micro-cuts in multichannel audio mode when the audio stream format is Dolby-Digital. The sound gets like muted for a second or two, the frequency how of this happens varies from a lot (from after every 10 or so seconds to once a minute). It does not seem to correlate any audible things happening in the movie. It does not matter if it is tv broadcast or content from an usb-stick. It does not seem to correlate to the bit rate of the audio stream either.

I have been contact with customer care and they told it is about my stereo system (Bose Cinemate II) not properly handling VBR (variable bit rate) decoding. But if I put Dolby Digital sample [1] on an USB-stick which for sure has CBR (constant bit rate) Dolby Digital audio stream these micro cuts are still happening. Using other CBR DD samples with e.g. higher bit rates (e.g. 448 kbps, 5.1, 48.0 kHz) the these micro cuts is still the there with similar frequency and pattern.

So either the TV set must first decode my CBR audio and then re-encode it as VBR before putting it out through the SPDIF to my Bose system. Or there must be something else broken in the TV set audio stream handling which has nothing to do with Bose (or any other) handling of VBR audio stream as claimed by the customer care.

My Bose system plays the same content (using the same optical audio cable) from PS3 or Samsung TV set just fine without any micro-cuts.

Still waiting the answer from the customer care for my reply to their first comment.

My TV is 55PFL6678S, running (now) 173.46 but this has been the issue from the beginning.

[1] http://download.dolby.com/Content_Do...vils-large.mp4 (224 kbps, 5.1 CBR, 48.0 kHz)
    Hi All,

I've opened a ticket since weeks and weeks. I never got any feedback from Philips support.

What I can say is that :

1- when I connect my TV SPDIF to my on Onkyo 5.1 Amplifier the micro cuts issue is the same as with my brand new Bose SR1 sound system. Would Philips dare to say that Bose does not know how to deal with sound ???? lol
    2- When I connect my previous Panasonic Plasma TV SPDIF to the same equipments I've got no problem at all.

It is the same thing whatever is the signal source : DVD-T, BluRay reader, Multimedia System (TVIX) or PS3.
    Connecting these source devices directly to the sound systems make the problem just vanish. I really don't know how Philips can say their TV is not involved.

To Philips engineers : Please listen to your customers before considering that you have the knowledge and you are right in any case !!!! What about calling back your customers or keeping them updated about the progress you make on problem resolution ?

ecazin
    Last edited by ecazin; 03-10-2014 at 03:44 PM. Reason: clarification