• Bookmark and Share
    Level completed: 56%, Points required for next Level: 44
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    New Achievement!31 days registered100 Experience Points

Level
    Thanks

Various questions about 46PFL3108T/12

I recently purchased this TV ( 46PFL3108T/12 ), and have a few questions for it.

A) What is the RJ45/ethernet port for?
    It lights up when connected to my router, it also obtain an IP according to the router, but i can not find anything that can actually utilize a network connection, not even firmware updats or lan streaming, both works on USB. What is the point?

B) Firmware version
    I upgraded to Version: 002.011.000.001, Zip file, 66.51 MB, Date published: 2014-02-11
    However in release notes it asays published 2013-09-27 , the actual autorun.upg are dated 28-08-2013
    Are there no newer firmwares for this tv (maybe some that could answer my first question)

C) I see some vague vertical lines/boxes, approx 8 evenly spaced accros the screen, i cant adjust the picture to make them go away, i believe this is called "uniformity" in LED terms. ( i tried taking a picture but was hard to catch on camera)
    Is this a common flaw with this panel (it was quite cheap after all).

Thanks in advance

Achievements:

Level
    Thanks
    Nobody with a guess or comment?

Level completed: 30%, Points required for next Level: 631
    Achievements:
    New Achievement!Overdrive10000 Experience Points1 year registered
    Level
    Thanks
    Hi sunespeg,

Quote Originally Posted by sunespeg View Post
    I recently purchased this TV ( 46PFL3108T/12 ), and have a few questions for it.

A) What is the RJ45/ethernet port for?
    It lights up when connected to my router, it also obtain an IP according to the router, but i can not find anything that can actually utilize a network connection, not even firmware updats or lan streaming, both works on USB. What is the point?
    You can use the connection for streaming files over network from a media server. If you are unable to make this work, please supply more information about the type of media server you are using and the type of files you are trying to share.

The internet connection can also be used to update the firmware, if the firmware has been released for distribution via our upgrade servers.

B) Firmware version
    I upgraded to Version: 002.011.000.001, Zip file, 66.51 MB, Date published: 2014-02-11
    However in release notes it asays published 2013-09-27 , the actual autorun.upg are dated 28-08-2013
    Are there no newer firmwares for this tv (maybe some that could answer my first question)
    The newest firmware version for this TV is 002.011.000.001. The .upg file generation date and the release date will not be the same. The .upg file may have been created long before the software was ready for general release. It is of no consequence or importance.

C) I see some vague vertical lines/boxes, approx 8 evenly spaced accros the screen, i cant adjust the picture to make them go away, i believe this is called "uniformity" in LED terms. ( i tried taking a picture but was hard to catch on camera)
    Is this a common flaw with this panel (it was quite cheap after all).

Thanks in advance
    As far as my experience goes this is not a common issue.

If you are in any way concerned about any uniformity issues, you are advised to contact your local customer service team:

http://www.support.philips.com/suppo..._selector.jsp?
    Select your country and preferred language, then Contact.

Best regards,
    Ina
    Forum Mod

Achievements:

Level
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Philips - Ina View Post
    Hi sunespeg,
    ou can use the connection for streaming files over network from a media server. If you are unable to make this work, please supply more information about the type of media server you are using and the type of files you are trying to share.

The internet connection can also be used to update the firmware, if the firmware has been released for distribution via our upgrade servers.
    I cant find any functions in menus that takes advantage of it , on main menu i got the following (translated to english,exact names may differ)
    Help, Settings, Tv, Source, Guide, Records
    Help brings up a more or less usefull help page.
    Setings allows me to setup picture, setup network ,update software,demo.
    The update software page under settings only accepts a firmware thru the USB port, no mention of live update.
    (there is a bug in the usb update page, it gives an option to prepare a usb ,with a link to a download page, where you can get the firmware, which are meant to be put back on usb, but the html file it generates are broken , it just says "test")
    Source allows me to chose input (hdmi,scart etc), and USB, but not network of any kind.
    Guide shows tv channels epg guide
    Records shows things recorded on usb stick (no network otions either).

So i ask again, what can the network be used for ?

Quote Originally Posted by Philips - Ina View Post
    The newest firmware version for this TV is 002.011.000.001. The .upg file generation date and the release date will not be the same. The .upg file may have been created long before the software was ready for general release. It is of no consequence or importance.
    Ok i understand dates differ, just wondered why there were 3 differnt dates, i hope a new firmware will arrive that could bring the network to some use. Other TV's seems to have much newer firmwares.

Regarding picture quality:
    I consulted a tv dealer that said it was a normal thing, the display will rarely be perfect and will also have some dark corners, some are worse than others. My TV has both, but since it was cheap i dont expect it to be perfect.

Level completed: 30%, Points required for next Level: 631
    Achievements:
    New Achievement!Overdrive10000 Experience Points1 year registered
    Level
    Thanks
    Hi sunespeg,

Quote Originally Posted by sunespeg View Post
    I cant find any functions in menus that takes advantage of it , on main menu i got the following (translated to english,exact names may differ)
    Help, Settings, Tv, Source, Guide, Records
    Help brings up a more or less usefull help page.
    Setings allows me to setup picture, setup network ,update software,demo.
    The TV is a media renderer and requires that files are played from a media server to the TV. Therefore you will not find a "Browse Network" option within the TV. Have you tried using a media server for this purpose?

The update software page under settings only accepts a firmware thru the USB port, no mention of live update.
    (there is a bug in the usb update page, it gives an option to prepare a usb ,with a link to a download page, where you can get the firmware, which are meant to be put back on usb, but the html file it generates are broken , it just says "test")
    Source allows me to chose input (hdmi,scart etc), and USB, but not network of any kind.
    Guide shows tv channels epg guide
    Records shows things recorded on usb stick (no network otions either).

So i ask again, what can the network be used for ?
    I have double checked this and you are correct and I was wrong. This specific model cannot accept software updates via network. My apologies.

Ok i understand dates differ, just wondered why there were 3 differnt dates, i hope a new firmware will arrive that could bring the network to some use. Other TV's seems to have much newer firmwares.

Regarding picture quality:
    I consulted a tv dealer that said it was a normal thing, the display will rarely be perfect and will also have some dark corners, some are worse than others. My TV has both, but since it was cheap i dont expect it to be perfect.
    Firmware are released for different TV platforms at different times, for different reasons. I can't comment on the frequency of software releases.

Best regards,
    Ina
    Forum Mod