• Bookmark and Share
    Level completed: 28%, Points required for next Level: 72
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    New Achievement!7 days registered

Level
    Thanks

Lost Wifi/Ethernet

I have a 40PFL7008 since half a year. Since the beginning I have problems streaming data from MyTwonky interface to TV. Twonky runs on a WD 2TB hard-disk and is wired to a Ziggo router. TV was first Wifi connected, now it is wired to Ziggo Cisco router.

When I start searching for internet, TV finds all PC's and MyTwonky. When searching MyTwonky often search is very slow, but when finally found videos, it shows folder content, but doesn't play it. Sometimes TV is shut down automatically.

I tried several things, mostly unplugging router and TV (to do this I both plugged them in a switchable plug!). In most cases TV / wifi works. Ocasionally I have to unplug again. Recently I found out that unplugging of TV only will work.

My fear is that my TV has a bad network card as both wifi and wired ethernet have similar problem.

Is here anybody else who has seen these problems ? And maybe somnebody from Philips is reading this and gives me advise what to do.

Dennis

Level completed: 85%, Points required for next Level: 123
    Overall activity: 99.9%
    Achievements:
    New Achievement!Overdrive10000 Experience Points1 year registered
    Level
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Dennis2366 View Post
    I have a 40PFL7008 since half a year. Since the beginning I have problems streaming data from MyTwonky interface to TV. Twonky runs on a WD 2TB hard-disk and is wired to a Ziggo router. TV was first Wifi connected, now it is wired to Ziggo Cisco router.

When I start searching for internet, TV finds all PC's and MyTwonky. When searching MyTwonky often search is very slow, but when finally found videos, it shows folder content, but doesn't play it. Sometimes TV is shut down automatically.

I tried several things, mostly unplugging router and TV (to do this I both plugged them in a switchable plug!). In most cases TV / wifi works. Ocasionally I have to unplug again. Recently I found out that unplugging of TV only will work.

My fear is that my TV has a bad network card as both wifi and wired ethernet have similar problem.

Is here anybody else who has seen these problems ? And maybe somnebody from Philips is reading this and gives me advise what to do.

Dennis

Hi Dennis,

I'm not entirely sure of the specifics of your issue. You are saying a few different things.

Could you please confirm if you are only occasionally able to stream media over Wifi, or you are never able to stream?

What happens on screen when you attempt to play a found file?

Do you have any problems with SmartTV? Such as YouTube or any other streaming service.

Could you please confirm the current software version installed?

Best regards,
    Ina
    Forum Mod

Achievements:

Level
    Thanks
    Hello Ina,

Thanks for first reply. Current software comes from a download called '42pfl7008k_12_fus_nld' and is dated 30-01-2014. As far as I know this is the latest version. TV confirms this.

First my answers to your questions:

I am able to stream. But in 50% of all occasions I have problems.

If I want to operate from 'Network' , after pressing selection key, and if I don't see button 'Network' on second position, I know that problems will occur. Button 'Network' may be at 4th or 5th position and will indicate something will go wrong.

I hardly ever use Smart TV, apart from TomTom and Buienradar. In few occasions YouTube. Starting Smart TV may be slow and very slow. Slow means it takes a couple of seconds to start loading. Very slow means that blue slider at the bottom slides left - right - left and takes 20 seconds. Presented apps do work.

However, I had a few times that Smart TV didn't work and asked for network search. If this happens I switch off TV and leave.

If I succeed in starting network, I immediately find a couple of PC's hanging in the network. Sometimes MyTwonkly is present same time but in 50% of occasions MyTwonky is found later.

If MyTwonky is selected, two things may happen. First, all folders and sub folders are found quickly. Any video found will load within 10 seconds. Second, main folders may load quickly, but subfolders load slowly, and even dead slow when files should be presented. If files are found and selected, sometimes file is loaded, after 1-2 minutes, but file will crash often.

If I work from my PC's, I can connect to MyTwonky in just seconds without any problem. Note: WD HD is wired to my Ziggo router.

As a test I connected WD disc directly to TV through network cable. In a week I never experienced problems and connection was as quick as with my PC's. So I concluded that problems are related to Wifi.

Now comes the issue. Are my problems related to Philips TV or Ziggo router ? Or a combination of both ?

I can do 2 final tests. I could hard-wire TV with router with 10m network cable. And I could bring network to TV through a network homeplug. But then I first have to invest €80 in 2 plugs.

So I like to have your opinion.

Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks
    Hi Dennis2366,

Hello Ina,

Thanks for first reply. Current software comes from a download called '42pfl7008k_12_fus_nld' and is dated 30-01-2014. As far as I know this is the latest version. TV confirms this.
    OK, I assume this is software version 173.46, but you still need to check the version for me please:

HOME > [Setup] > [Software settings] > [Current software info] > Version....

First my answers to your questions:

I am able to stream. But in 50% of all occasions I have problems.

If I want to operate from 'Network' , after pressing selection key, and if I don't see button 'Network' on second position, I know that problems will occur. Button 'Network' may be at 4th or 5th position and will indicate something will go wrong.
    Could you take a picture of what you mean? I'm not entirely sure what you mean. A picture would help

I hardly ever use Smart TV, apart from TomTom and Buienradar. In few occasions YouTube. Starting Smart TV may be slow and very slow. Slow means it takes a couple of seconds to start loading. Very slow means that blue slider at the bottom slides left - right - left and takes 20 seconds. Presented apps do work.

However, I had a few times that Smart TV didn't work and asked for network search. If this happens I switch off TV and leave.

If I succeed in starting network, I immediately find a couple of PC's hanging in the network. Sometimes MyTwonkly is present same time but in 50% of occasions MyTwonky is found later.

If MyTwonky is selected, two things may happen. First, all folders and sub folders are found quickly. Any video found will load within 10 seconds. Second, main folders may load quickly, but subfolders load slowly, and even dead slow when files should be presented. If files are found and selected, sometimes file is loaded, after 1-2 minutes, but file will crash often.

If I work from my PC's, I can connect to MyTwonky in just seconds without any problem. Note: WD HD is wired to my Ziggo router.

As a test I connected WD disc directly to TV through network cable. In a week I never experienced problems and connection was as quick as with my PC's. So I concluded that problems are related to Wifi.

Now comes the issue. Are my problems related to Philips TV or Ziggo router ? Or a combination of both ?
    Your guess is as good as mine! Have you tried connecting the TV to your network with a cabled connection as well? This would give you an indicator of where the issue might be at.

I can do 2 final tests. I could hard-wire TV with router with 10m network cable. And I could bring network to TV through a network homeplug. But then I first have to invest €80 in 2 plugs.

So I like to have your opinion.
    What do you mean by a "network homeplug"? If it's a bridge, it is unlikely to work.

Best regards,
    Ina
    Forum Mod

Achievements:

Level
    Thanks
    Hello Ina,

Software is indeed 173.46. I installed it few weeks ago. Two weeks ago I completely reconfigured tv wifi and since then wifi runs much better.

When starting wifi connection, through 'Source', tv screen should show a sequence of buttons as 'TV kijken' - 'Netwerk' - 'Philips BDP' - 'Satelliet'. If wifi is not working properly, 'Netwerk' will not show up on second position, but as third or fourth.

However yesterday I discovered that heavy streams still crash. Compressed data of 6-10 Mb/min run well now, but movies at 25-40 Mb/min crash within few minutes.

I have few alternatives now. I can hard-wire tv to Ziggo Cisco router. Second I can buy home-plug for internet (internet signal through electrical wires) or I can buy a signal repeater. In any case I have to make unexpected investments.

Achievements:

Level
    Thanks
    We're advancing step by step.

Connecting 10 meters UTP cable was a temporarily test to monitor MyTwonky quality. Which is allright.

Few days ago I installed an additional ASUS Access Point. Wireless power is now sufficient to serve my (large) house. Movies can now be run by TV, for the time being.

So I guess problem is solved now.

Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks
    We're advancing step by step.

Connecting 10 meters UTP cable was a temporarily test to monitor MyTwonky quality. Which is allright.

Few days ago I installed an additional ASUS Access Point. Wireless power is now sufficient to serve my (large) house. Movies can now be run by TV, for the time being.

So I guess problem is solved now.

Hi Dennis2366,

Thanks for the update!

In a large house additional access points or boosters are always a good idea to ensure a better WiFi coverage.

Best regards,
    Ina
    Forum Mod