Level completed: 76%, Points required for next Level: 24
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    New Achievement!31 days registered100 Experience Points

Level
    Thanks

Question file types/codecs question

hello
    hoping for some input on likely a layman question.
    i just recently purchased a philips smart tv (Philips 39" 1080p 60Hz LED Smart TV (39PFL2908))
    and i'm having troubles finding the right filetype that will play from its USB.. it plays mp4 fine, but no avi or mkv.

i'm curious; i've yet to hook it up to the net (it didn't like my long router password, but that's another question/problem)
    if i go online and do any available updating, are there possibly any codecs it will also update/download to make it more usable with more filetypes? -avi and mkv namely ;-)
    i highly doubt it, but it's worth asking.

or maybe someone can tell me what other file extensions this tv will play. cause mp4 is pretty limiting, and i feel pretty cheated by that salesman who said it plays video's.

pretty disappointing thinking i can watch video's, and find i'm basically limited to 1 type.

Level completed: 25%, Points required for next Level: 603
    Overall activity: 99.9%
    Achievements:
    New Achievement!Overdrive10000 Experience Points1 year registered
    Level
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by thedude View Post
    hello
    hoping for some input on likely a layman question.
    i just recently purchased a philips smart tv (Philips 39" 1080p 60Hz LED Smart TV (39PFL2908))
    and i'm having troubles finding the right filetype that will play from its USB.. it plays mp4 fine, but no avi or mkv.

i'm curious; i've yet to hook it up to the net (it didn't like my long router password, but that's another question/problem)
    if i go online and do any available updating, are there possibly any codecs it will also update/download to make it more usable with more filetypes? -avi and mkv namely ;-)
    i highly doubt it, but it's worth asking.

or maybe someone can tell me what other file extensions this tv will play. cause mp4 is pretty limiting, and i feel pretty cheated by that salesman who said it plays video's.

pretty disappointing thinking i can watch video's, and find i'm basically limited to 1 type.

Hi thedude.

Connection to the internet does not neccesarily update the codec support on your TV. The best things to start with is to check that your TV is up to date with the latest software.

Also check the file support in the user manual on page 24:
    http://philips.to/1mM3kJp

If you are still experiencing issues with file playback or you require help with updating your TV, please contact your local customer service team for more in-depth information about codec, file support and software:

http://www.support.philips.com/suppo..._selector.jsp?
    Select your country and preferred language, then Contact.

Best regards,
    Ina
    Forum Mod

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Philips - Ina For This Useful Post:

thedude (03-03-2014)

Achievements:

Level
    Thanks

Unhappy

hey thanks for the reply.
    i just can't understand it though

see, it says (on the user manual you linked me)
    supported AVI:
    mpeg4 sp, mpeg4 asp

now i'll admit i don';t ufully understand the different containers, codecs, filetypes, and such.. but reading, sites are telling me;
    Methods described in MPEG-4 part 2 (MPEG-4 SP/ASP) are used by codecs such as DivX, Xvid, Nero Digital, 3ivx and by Quicktime 6
    Several popular codecs including DivX, Xvid and Nero Digital implement this standard

i'm basically reading at many places.. xvid uses mpeg4 ..so why are they not working?

am i reading it wrong? am i doing something wrong? (why i thought maybe hooking to the net and letting it do any needed updates might help)
    what i read xvid uses mpeg4-asp.. my tv supports avi mpeg4 asp.. so??

i just want to watch movies on my tv instead of going through my loud xbox anymore.

it's great i can watch mp4 tv shows on it.. but everything i read is telling me the xvid movies should work fine too.

i hope someone can help set me straight.. i'm so confused

Level completed: 25%, Points required for next Level: 603
    Overall activity: 99.9%
    Achievements:
    New Achievement!Overdrive10000 Experience Points1 year registered
    Level
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by thedude View Post
    hey thanks for the reply.
    i just can't understand it though

see, it says (on the user manual you linked me)
    supported AVI:
    mpeg4 sp, mpeg4 asp

now i'll admit i don';t ufully understand the different containers, codecs, filetypes, and such.. but reading, sites are telling me;
    Methods described in MPEG-4 part 2 (MPEG-4 SP/ASP) are used by codecs such as DivX, Xvid, Nero Digital, 3ivx and by Quicktime 6
    Several popular codecs including DivX, Xvid and Nero Digital implement this standard

i'm basically reading at many places.. xvid uses mpeg4 ..so why are they not working?

am i reading it wrong? am i doing something wrong? (why i thought maybe hooking to the net and letting it do any needed updates might help)
    what i read xvid uses mpeg4-asp.. my tv supports avi mpeg4 asp.. so??

i just want to watch movies on my tv instead of going through my loud xbox anymore.

it's great i can watch mp4 tv shows on it.. but everything i read is telling me the xvid movies should work fine too.

i hope someone can help set me straight.. i'm so confused

Hi thedude,

Codec and file containers/extensions is a rabbit warren to untangle, I agree. It is not always as straight forward as it may seem.

I will try to explain the basics of it here:

There are different file formats (codecs) for video, MPEG4 being one of them. However, for a video file to also have sound, an audio file need to be included too. To do this, both video file and audio file are placed in a container.

So for your .mp4 files (container) to play, not only do they need to be supported, but also the video file (codec) inside this container. In the user manual the containers are referred to as Extension.

The supported containers/extensions are: mpg/.mpeg, .vob, .avi, and .mp4

Your .mp4 files should work if the video codec inside your .mp4 files are H.264 or MPEG4.

Then there is the combination you see in the matrix in the user manual to consider:
    MPEG4 video + AAC-LC is the only supported combination inside a .mp4 extension/container.

.mkv extensions are not supported in your TV. As for .avi these need to have video codecs of MPEG4 SP orMPEG4 ASP and the audio codec is Dolby Digital, or MPEG1 audio layer3/2.

Again, I would advise you to contact your local support in regards to the issue you are experiencing. They will be equipped to troubleshoot this issue more in-depth with you.

Best regards,
    Ina
    Last edited by Philips - Ina; 03-11-2014 at 03:14 PM. Reason: Adding additional info
    Forum Mod

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Philips - Ina For This Useful Post:

thedude (03-12-2014)

Achievements:

Level
    Thanks
    actually, you've been -by far- the biggest help Ina.
    my local customer rep i think knew less than me (if that's possible)

so thanks for your time.
    i've come to the conclusion i can't play them.. though admittedly don't fully understand why lol