• Bookmark and Share
    Level completed: 70%, Points required for next Level: 15
    Overall activity: 17.0%
    Achievements:
    New Achievement!

Level
    Thanks

AW3000 won't play from my PC - but it used to

I have a Philips AW3000 mobile speaker which uses Twonky Manager. It usually works OK when playing from my PC. I've not used it for about a month and when I tried to use it today I could get no sound. I have (today) downloaded the latest Twonky Manager and Twonky Server, but still get no sound. I ran through the procedure for connecting to my wireless network (twice) but still no sound. I did a factory reset (my last resort option in the setting available in Air Studio+) on the AW3000 and reconnected to the wireless network but still no sound. It will play direct from an mp3 player connected by wire - sound as usual. Twonky will play on my computer's speakers when I select that option rather than the AW3000. The AW3000 flashes a white light on and off when I am asking it to play and there is no sound. The AW3000 manual says that this means that it is muted - but pressing the volume button does not generate any sound, and as I said earlier, even a factory reset made no difference. Twonky Manager sees all my playlists on the PC.
    Twonky Manager recognises the presence of the AW3000, but when I choose a song or playlist and press play, it never starts playing - meaning that the counter which tells you how many seconds that the song has been playing does not move from zero.

I can also get internet radio to play on the AW3000, controlled by myiPad. But it won't play music from my playlists on my PC - as said above, it sets the white light flashing on the AW3000 as though it is somehow muted.

Please help!

Level completed: 97%, Points required for next Level: 17
    Overall activity: 99.9%
    Achievements:
    New Achievement!3 months registeredOverdrive5000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thanks
    Dear Steve,

1. Are you able to play a song stored on your ipad on the AW3000? If you can then the AW3000 looks fine. It is a problem with Twonky server or your PC setting. You need not do restore factory settings of AW or do a network connection again.
    2. Can you check whether you have changed any firewall setting on your PC?
    3. Can you try another DLNA server from your PC?

Kind regards,
    Philips Moderation Team

Achievements:
    New Achievement!

Level
    Thanks
    I don't have any songs on my iPad, they are all on the PC. I tried iTunes home sharing, (which has worked in the past) but like several ,other people the iPad attempts to load my library, stops halfway and then says "unable to open home sharing". So I can't easily get music on the iPad to test the AW3000. I guess that's another problem for another forum!
    I have not knowingly changed any firewall settings - I am using McAfee Internet Security.
    I'm not sure what trying another DLNA server from my PC means. The manual for the AW3000 refers to needing a DLNA certified media sharing software such as Media Manager or Windows Media Player 11+ to allow the PC to act as a media sharing server that streams music to the wireless speaker. I've got WMP "file version 12.0.9600 16384". I can't find anything in WMP settings to make it work like Media Manager is supposed to do - recognise the AW3000 and play music through the AW3000.

Something which might be of importance - or not - when running AirStudio on the iPad, there is never an icon for the computer (the manual refers to a laptop icon) to draw a line with a finger to link it to the AW3000. The only icons are iPad and AW3000. When running AirStudio+ (downloaded a few days ago) then when I go to "My home network" then I get "no devices found".

As I mentioned in the original post, I have downloaded Media Manager several times, and have run the AirStudio+ wireless hifi setup several time, but have still not managed to get the AW3000 to play music from the PC.

Silver Member
    Level completed: 59%, Points required for next Level: 123
    Overall activity: 10.0%
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience PointsNew Achievement!Veteran

Level
    Thanks
    Hi Steve, may try the simple setup first, you can uninstall the AirStudio and AirStudio+ on your iPad, then install AirStudio+ again. Can you find the AW3000 ? Then can you find the PC to share the music ?

Achievements:
    New Achievement!

Level
    Thanks
    I've deleted AirStudio and AirStudio+, then downloaded AirStudio+ again. There was no change, it found no devices on my home network. It does see the AW 3000 and not the PC.

Silver Member
    Level completed: 74%, Points required for next Level: 80
    Overall activity: 19.0%
    Achievements:
    1 year registered1000 Experience PointsNew Achievement!

Level
    Thanks
    Well, I don't think a restore settings of the AW3000 would solve issues at the PC side, neither a deletion of the Airstudio APP.

WMP12 is known to be a bit buggy (I had similar issue you describe at my end. The only way was to remove all my music on the PC and with remove the library of WMP12 and then copy again the music back). As I had in the past year twice, I gave up to use WMP12.

Instead I use the free Server provided by Philips (so called Twonky Media Manager / Server), which you seem to have installed already.
    Just uninstall it and then ...

Go to www.philips.com/support, then search for AW3000/10 and then go for "Software and drivers" you'll find this "MediaManager + Server (Windows)" for download. Alternatively you could go to www.twonky.com/downloads (and get just the latest Twonky Server - the Manager has a small, but ugly bug).

Then you just install this SW (kindly be reminded that you'll need the original quick start guide, as there is a sticker with the needed license key for installation). After that, you'll find your PC (assuming a moment located in the same network) in the Airstudio+ APP.

A small comment ...
    At the first time usage of Twonky, you might get a firewall warning. Just allow the firewall to connect for a private, domestic, ... etc. network (I clicked on all).
    Last edited by Blechtrottel; 02-25-2014 at 02:18 PM.

Achievements:
    New Achievement!

Level
    Thanks
    I didn't approach this with much hope and with justification! I had already downloaded and installed Twonky Manager 3 times in the last few days, without successfully getting the AW3000 to play from my PC. I deleted all versions of Media Manager and Twonky Manager, then downloaded Media Manager from the Philips website as suggested. There was no firewall message when I opened Media Manager. I tried to play a song from the PC but just got the same old fault - the white light on the AW3000 flashes but no sound is heard. And the time counter for the song never moves off zero.
    When I went to AirStudio+, the situation was just as before with no devices being detected when I went to "my home network". The AW3000 is detected in AirStudio+.

The combination of Media Manager/AW3000 and AirStudio used to work until recently -why should it not work now?

Thanks to Rafal, volume and Blechtrottel for trying!
    Last edited by Steve Partington; 02-25-2014 at 05:14 PM.

Achievements:
    New Achievement!

Level
    Thanks
    I have managed to set up Windows Media Player for streaming - and this has made the AW3000 work! And Media Manager was also on the list of things being enabled, and now Media Manager works too! I had no idea about this before.
    Looks like Rafal's suggestion 3 was the one that worked. Thanks

Silver Member
    Level completed: 74%, Points required for next Level: 80
    Overall activity: 19.0%
    Achievements:
    1 year registered1000 Experience PointsNew Achievement!

Level
    Thanks
    Good to hear.

I still can't believe Twonky doesn't work.

1) As you re-installed the Twonky, I would assume it's also started (the server).
    Can be checked in the status window / box (where you e.g. can eject a drive). Twonky shall be set
    to autostart.

2) (I use WIN-7 so my comments are based on that).
    Open Control panel, then click on Windows Firewall.
    Then click on "Allow programs to communicate through Windows firewall".
    In the list of allowed programs, you shall find ...
    TwonkyServer / TwonkyManager / TwonkyPlayer
    It would be best if you see a tick mark for "Domain / Home/Work ... / Public".
    Required are the last two ...

Achievements:
    New Achievement!

Level
    Thanks
    In reply to Blechtrottel,

Not sure where the status window is. I'm using McAfee as my firewall rather than Windows Firewall.
    But the good news is that having set up Windows Media Player, it also makes Media Manager/Twonky Manager work as well. So I can now go to Media Manager without opening WMP, and it still works. So I'm happy!

Level completed: 97%, Points required for next Level: 17
    Overall activity: 99.9%
    Achievements:
    New Achievement!3 months registeredOverdrive5000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thanks
    Dear Users,

There is no active discussion on this topic for quite some time. Therefore, we may close the topic for the moment. In case you want to discuss further, you may start a new topic or send me a PM to re-open the topic.

Thanks for your understanding in advance!

Kind regards,
    Philips Moderation Team