Bronze Member
    Level completed: 96%, Points required for next Level: 9
    Overall activity: 10.0%
    Achievements:
    New Achievement!1 year registered1000 Experience Points

Level
    Thanks

Netflix in 4K on my 65pfl9708?

I would like to know how i can get the new Netflix service in 4K on my Ultra HD tv?
    Even how to get the 4K video`s from example You Tube on my tv in real 4K??

Because i see that the tv is having the H.264 MPEG video compressing, and not possible to serve the new H.265 HVEC which will be needed for streaming the Ultra HD (4K)???

Will there be some new software to make this possible, of mayby a special 4K App by Netflix??
    Of is this only with new hardware possible?

So Yes, i think Philips should arange this for the early buyers from those expensive TV??
    HDMI 5 will alowe the 4K (3480x2160) but how i provide this?

Would it be possible by using the new Pluggy HDMI stick which will be able for the H.265 compression technic?

I`m afraid i bought my new Ultra HD tv again to early, because it isn`t useble to get any 4K signals in??

Thanks,

Regards,

Dinand

Level completed: 99%, Points required for next Level: 3
    Overall activity: 94.0%
    Achievements:
    New Achievement!Overdrive10000 Experience Points1 year registered
    Level
    Thanks
    Hi Dinand.

I'm currently looking onto this. Thank you for your patience while I find out more information.

Best regards,
    Ina
    Forum Mod

Bronze Member
    Achievements:

Level
    Thanks
    Hello Ina,

Thanks for your reply.
    Ofcourse i`m patient for this.
    I hope we get some positive news.

Tonight i saw the new update software (.50) was ready and already on my tv.

Regards,

Dinand

Level completed: 99%, Points required for next Level: 3
    Overall activity: 94.0%
    Achievements:
    New Achievement!Overdrive10000 Experience Points1 year registered
    Level
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by dinandus View Post
    Hello Ina,

Thanks for your reply.
    Ofcourse i`m patient for this.
    I hope we get some positive news.

Tonight i saw the new update software (.50) was ready and already on my tv.

Regards,

Dinand

Hi Dinand.

I have been finding out additional information about the requirements for Netflix in 4K.

Netflix in 4K requires the TVs to support the HVEC codec, which this TV model does not support. Therefore 4K Netflix will not be possible on these TV models.

A 3rd party solution that is able to process the HVEC codec externally is therefore required to obtain Netflix in 4K.

Best regards,
    Ina
    Forum Mod

Bronze Member
    Achievements:

Level
    Thanks
    Hello Ina,
    Thanks for you reaction. Sure i know that the tv at the moment does`t support the H.265. The questions is more when Philips or mayby betther the new firm who has taken over this, will make an update for solving this problem??
    At the IFA show in Berlin 2013 and later there was told that there would be an update hardware and software to make the tv future proof. It CAN NOT BE that there would be NO update for a tv that cost around 5000 Euro, when it was a couple of months new on the market!!!
    So the question will be open till we get an answer when we would expext that prommised update.
    Regards

Dinand

Level completed: 23%, Points required for next Level: 38
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    New Achievement!

Level
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Philips - Ina View Post
    Hi Dinand.

I have been finding out additional information about the requirements for Netflix in 4K.

Netflix in 4K requires the TVs to support the HVEC codec, which this TV model does not support. Therefore 4K Netflix will not be possible on these TV models.

A 3rd party solution that is able to process the HVEC codec externally is therefore required to obtain Netflix in 4K.

Best regards,
    Ina

Hi Ina,

Another new user wanting to know if there is an update. Part of the Philips PR on launch was that this TV was upgradable when the new 4k technology came out. Clearly there are several people here who paid £4500 for a TV that was upgradable.

Please can you get confirmation that there will be an upgrade option on the firmware to the standard H.265 codec as if not I will be returning the TV as mis-sold to Philips. feel free to google the TV reviews, they all say the cool part about it is that it has the upgradable "slot" on the back.

As there is no other way of presenting 4k content one could even question if the TV is actually 4k until it is possible??

Thanks in advance

Bronze Member
    Achievements:

Level
    Thanks
    Hello Ina, Please help us out what will be going about the H.265 and the HDMI up to 2.0 and 2.2 upgrade. Are will Philips provide all buyers a Media Player who is working with the right hardware to make in possible to stream 4K from internet, and wacht some Satelite programs also in H.265 which are being lauched at SES Astra, and soon wil start at Eutelsat to????

If you are folowing German forums about this, more custumors are giving the tv back under the reasson that Philips is selling a tv what can`t provide what the are prommising???
    On the IFA Show last september in Berlin was also said there would be ungrading for hard and sofware issues. So wenn we can see them coming??

I`m afraid we wil have to follow the same procedure if not soon will be the needed upgrades avaible!!!

But i HOPE Philips/TPS will be so smart and take care about this matters, if they would be selling Ultra HD tv`s in the future!!

Level completed: 56%, Points required for next Level: 22
    Overall activity: 21.0%
    Achievements:
    New Achievement!

Level
    Thanks
    I would also like to know more about this issue.

What kind of 3rd party solution is needed to watch Netflix in 4K on this TV?

Bronze Member
    Achievements:

Level
    Thanks
    Hi Karlht, I think they mean a external decoder to stream with the needed HVEC, H.265 possibility.
    But problem is more Philips sold us a 4K ready TV the said, but its more only a Ultra HD ready monitor, like in the past problems for example the difference between REAL HD, and HD ready screens.

So i think its only a far solution if Philips/TPS will refund us the new price for this mis sold tv, because it can not do what they promissed it would be able to to.
    In Germany the first consumer had get the whole buyingprice already back, see what they in NL will decided about this.
    I will try to write and phone them again.
    Will be followed.

Achievements:
    New Achievement!

Level
    Thanks
    I live in Norway and did some search for news about this TV in the local media and according to this article:
    http://www.dinside.no/927806/netflix...an-faar-du-det
    There is work in progress for an external box making it possible to watch netflix in 4K on this TV.
    But it is uncertain when and if it will be released.

Bronze Member
    Achievements:

Level
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Karlht View Post
    I live in Norway and did some search for news about this TV in the local media and according to this article:
    http://www.dinside.no/927806/netflix...an-faar-du-det

There is work in progress for an external box making it possible to watch netflix in 4K on this TV.
    But it is uncertain when and if it will be released.
    Philips: Ja: De nieuwe 4K-modellen in 8000 - en 9000-serie zal Netflix ondersteunen bij 4K nr.: 2013 model. 65PFL9708S zal momenteel niet bezig met Netflix in 4K.

Thanks for your info: We all hope that TPS/Philips soon is coming with this external box.
    In Dutch the translation from what i found ond the site you mentiond:
    "DinSide weten echter dat ze werken met een externe box die het mogelijk zal maken om Netflix te streamen in 4K. Of het daadwerkelijk komt, en wat het uiteindelijk zal kosten is niet duidelijk op dit moment." Also Sony confermd that they will have a external 4K box: FMP-X5, for use in Europe!

So hope to soon get more info from Philips about this isseu!!!

Achievements:
    New Achievement!

Level
    Thanks
    I did some more searching on the web, and found a 3rd party Box called "Nuvola NP-1". So I Guess there is still hope even if Philips does not release any external Box. But I would really like to know if Philips are still working on something here before I order from any other Company. Could we please have an update on this issue Ina?

Bronze Member
    Achievements:

Level
    Thanks
    Hi All,
    I had last thuesday about this issue a talk about some service desk help person from Philips, they should get back an this a about a week, i lett you know about this.

Wel also Sony is introducing some 4K players not onbly for their American, but also special for their European Consumers, (FMP-X10 and FMP-X5) for their first UHD series, with the same hardware problems, so i think Philips could offer us mayby the same solution. They should offer a 4K mediaplayer to the first buyers from the 65PFL9708 series.

I heard that even no 2014 series from Philips would be able to work wih the H.265 video compresion?? ?? Very strange about this??

Level completed: 54%, Points required for next Level: 23
    Achievements:
    New Achievement!

Level
    Thanks
    Anything new on this? I think it is extremely disappointing that netflix 4k is not available on a tv I purchased for 5000 euros just two months back, the so called flagship of Philips. Philips is a shame! Is it possible to return the TV?

Level completed: 82%, Points required for next Level: 9
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    New Achievement!7 days registered

Level
    Thanks
    Hi everyone,

Like many of you I’m still questioning about whether or not there will be a real upgrade for the « 4k TV » 65PFL9708S (or 84 model.)

I’m very disappointed by Philips and all fake promises about UHD-standard upgrades. Finally it seems like this 5,000€ TV is just a fullHD TV that slightly improve video quality : it’s a shame for that price !

And the worst is that this TV is not even a good fullHD TV (!!) : despite few minor « upgrades » there are still crashes and many real problems : horrible audio delay on 5.1 through ARC, black screen on inputs after long use, unusable and useless Perfect Natural Motion (that was supposed to be awesome…), lag and slow smart TV functions that does not offer 4K contents (and only few fullHD contents), and the #1 shame : the lag and very slow menus that are not even in 4K quality : a 5-core processor is not enough to run a menu ?! People really laugh when they see these « state-of-the-art » TV menus. Come on! I’m talking about Philips state-of-the-art-5000€-TV, not a cheap fake Chinese product!

I’m patient, but I really think that after almost 10 months on the market, it’s now time for Philips to offer a real decent upgrade for this «premium » « 4k » TV like competitors did. Other companies like Sony do care about their customers paying premium prices and offered real decent upgrade for their products. I also have a 2013 Samsung UHD TV in a room and I never experience any problems or crashes, and there are many upgrades. So…why don’t you do something to improve your products like all other did ?

This TV could be excellent if you just provide a dedicated real upgrade to fix all problems and offer UHD solution. Please do something, its a nonsense : you are Philips, one the major electronic company in the world…

I hope that someone from Philips will read my message and provide me a real answer, not just a « we understand your concern » sentence.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast