Silver Member
    Level completed: 12%, Points required for next Level: 88
    Overall activity: 20.0%
    Achievements:
    New Achievement!250 Experience Points3 months registered

Level
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by FredFBe View Post
    The 8008's panel native refresh rate is 100Hz, Clear LCD adds an extra backlight flicker to reach the "200Hz" refresh rate.

This extra backlight flickering is supposed to give you the feeling of a more stable picture, but in any case it does not double the number of rendered images.
    I personally never saw any difference with Clear LCD on or off (with PNM on), so I leave it active.
    I was going by a couple of reviews, like this one, which say that it is a native 200Hz panel.
    http://www.trustedreviews.com/philip...008s_TV_review

Also potentially critical is the use in the 46PFL8008 of a native 200Hz panel, which joins forces with image processing and a scanning backlight system to deliver a claimed (using Philips' own terminology) 1400Hz Perfect Motion Rate.
    And then Philips start talking about 1400Hz with Clear LCD...no idea how they get to that figure though
    Last edited by jonstatt; 04-23-2014 at 03:06 PM.

Bronze Member
    Level completed: 91%, Points required for next Level: 18
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    New Achievement!500 Experience Points1 year registered

Level
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jonstatt View Post
    I was going by a couple of reviews, like this one, which say that it is a native 200Hz panel.
    http://www.trustedreviews.com/philip...008s_TV_review
    My mistake then!

Quote Originally Posted by jonstatt View Post
    And then Philips start talking about 1400Hz with Clear LCD...no idea how they get to that figure though
    Probably a marketing stuff having no real meaning...
    Last edited by FredFBe; 04-23-2014 at 03:17 PM.

Bronze Member
    Level completed: 50%, Points required for next Level: 100
    Achievements:
    Tagger Second ClassNew Achievement!100 Experience Points3 months registered

Level
    Thanks

DTS decoding low performing

Hello,

Since the last FW update on my 46PFL8008K I happen to have an issue while playing video files with DTS sound.
    It randomly stops pauses the movie for 2 seconds very often making it impossible to watch any mkv file that I have encoded with DTS.
    I have to connect my NAS using the DNLA player of my (kind of cheap) BDP3480 that is more capable of decoding DTS sound that my expensive TV. I certainly find this ironic somehow.

Before the v 50 of the FW I was using v 46 and it was not showing this behaviour on the same files with DTS sound.
    I think that it has to do with software instead of hardware decoding, but you philips know much better your products & software.

Thanks for you feedback and I will really appreciate if this issue is solved in coming FW updates.

J.Belmon

Silver Member
    Achievements:

Level
    Thanks
    Bug 10) YouTube app has a facility where you can "throw" the video from your mobile phone. For example if you are running YouTube on an Android phone, a little symbol appears near the top right showing devices that you can "throw" the video to. Unfortunately this feature is only working if the TV is connected via Ethernet cable and does not "broadcast" itself as YouTube friendly when in wireless mode.

Bronze Member
    Level completed: 39%, Points required for next Level: 122
    Overall activity: 14.0%
    Achievements:
    New Achievement!3 months registered500 Experience PointsTagger Second Class

Level
    Thanks
    Oh my god, I almost threw out the TV today when I tried to use the Internet browser or YouTube app and Miracast!!

Philips, please fix your software, or stop selling these things... at least stop tricking people into paying thousands of dollars for a piece of s... hardware weaker than an Android phone. It has lots of features, but none of them work correctly!

40PFL8008S/12 FW 173.50
    - Perfect Natural Motion - blurry, instead of making the picture more clear
    - menu VERY SLOW and unusable and annoying!
    - SMART TV: few apps, SLOW, SPAM (takes good seconds to load some stupid commercials)
    - Internet browser is so slow, it can't be used, clearly that was added just for marketing (has anyone from Philips tried it? if yes and still released it, they are very old and fell asleep until the pages loaded)
    - Miracast... are you kidding? After trying to connect for 4-5 minutes, when it finally connects, it disconnects after 3-5 minutes of use (not to mention the 2-5-10 seconds image delay - weak processor)
    - randomly reboots when having a HDD connected to USB and configured for recording (why have 3 USB ports if they cannot be used??)
    - TV guide VERY SLOW, cannot be used and also SPAM.. takes a long time to load a picture with a commercial
    - after some period of watching TV, when touching any button on the remote, the channel changes (or when pressing the the Channel up/down buttons they are reversed on the first command)
    - DTS decoding is weak.. sound drops once in 5-10 seconds
    - sometimes when turning the TV on, it says a channel update is available and will be applied the next time it's switched to Standby: only once it truly had an update that I saw (new channels in channel list), the other times, nothing happened and the message kept appearing after multiple OFF/ON or Channel Search attempts
    - Digital channels take a long time to change/browse
    - Ambilight on the left side became dimmer or warmer (tested with static ambilight)
    - weak network connection speed
    - 3D is not as great as other brands (no wonder there is no demo clip, as ALL other brands have)
    - even the demos from the menu (red key) are not functioning correctly: I see no difference when the screen is divided in two to "show off" the features )) that's just lame
    - no subtitles from DLNA if it's external file (I know it's intended, but lame)
    - other things I can;t remember right now

I wish I tested this stupid TV before I bought it. By the way, is someone from IT or a manager ever reading a post on this forum, even just out of curiosity?? Your sw updates are never relevant to our feedback!

Things I like about this 1500 euro TV:
    - Ambilight (well, used to like, before the left side got tired and became dimmer/warmer)
    - the TV remote design and that it's RF and the fact that the TV also has infrared receiver and can be controlled with another remote (android phone)
    - the MyRemote app, great features, but even that is not working properly: sometimes it has huge delay in the Wi-Fi smart screen mode until it stops (don't even try to blame my router like in other threads, it's an Asus RT-AC68U with a better processor than this TV)
    - the subtle built-in camera
    - picture quality (after customization)

So, although I have this "smart" TV for more than 30 days, I demand my money back, or at least half of what I paid... I want to buy an LG or Sony.

PLEASE RESPECT YOUR CUSTOMERS!!!

Even the forum is not working correctly (keeps logging me out every 5 minutes or so and when logging back in, it takes me to the forum homepage).

PS: Please take the time and read this, as I took the time to write it. And maybe show it to a Manager or something... either IT or Customer Support, Sales, whatever!

Thanks and sorry for the long post, but I can't take it anymore and want my money back!
    Last edited by Cristian; 04-26-2014 at 08:13 PM. Reason: added info because you logged me out with your 2 minute timeout rule! go take an IT course!

Silver Member
    Achievements:

Level
    Thanks
    While I agree with a lot of the issues described, a few points I would make

1) The demos DO all do something. I have tested them all with appropriate test materials. There is an issue with the fact that Perfect Natural Motion and Perfect flow rate do exactly the same test. One should be toggling PNM while the other should be toggling Clear LCD, but they both change both settings. All the others work, you just need to find the right source material to see it

2) With regards to the channel update. This is an issue if you live in an area where you pick-up the same TV channels from two or more transmitters. Where I live, sometimes I get a weak signal from another transmitter. When this happens the TV thinks it has found new stations. I have this same problem on both my Panasonic and my Sony TVs. You can see what the TV "thinks" is new though. If you press the "List" button, and then go to the "New" tab you can see the new channels it has added recently.

3) I actually think 3D is very good on this TV and it has one of the better 2D->3D conversion capabilities. Most of the reviews of this TV on the net mention that they think the 3D is a positive aspect of this TV. The image is quite bright and there is very little crosstalk.....

4) I have a HDD connected to a USB port used for pause and recording and have never had the TV reboot. I have had the TV crash and reboot with the Smart TV function, but never the HDD capability. I also regularly use a memory stick in USB port 2 and have had no issues playing media files on it.

5) I tried a video (.mp4) I had on my PC with DTS and played it on the TV and there was no sound break-up. What type of file are you playing that is causing the break-up?

The main reasons the menu feels slow is due to the animations. Despite being an impatient person, I haven't found the menus too slow. I like the animations! But Philips should have an option to disable the animations for those that want it faster.

I DO however want to emphasise the nonsense that is the Miracast function on this TV. I can't find a single device that works with it primarily because of the HDCP issue. Philips really messed up with the HDCP restriction and I don't think an explanation has ever been given as to why HDCP support cannot be added. I am VERY disappointed about this aspect

Philips have tried to make a TV with every single feature in it that they can think of. The trouble is, I don't think they have the development team size needed to maintain such a complicated code base. In my personal opinion I believe the Korean companies (e.g Samsung and LG) have single handedly destroyed much of the R&D in the TV market (I have nothing against Korean people!). They copied what everyone else was doing saving their own R&D costs several years ago...made their TVs much more cheaply as a result, and now can afford to do their own new product development due to the massive profits that achieved. This is why Philips had to sell off their TV business...why Sony's TV division has been making a loss for the last few years, and why several other TV manufacturers have disappeared (e.g. Pioneer).
    Last edited by jonstatt; 04-27-2014 at 12:13 AM.

Bronze Member
    Achievements:

Level
    Thanks
    Do you have the 8008 model?
    I watch digital channels and use a smart card (CI+).

Anyway, part of the issues I described are random (don't always occur).
    Bottom line, it's a very unstable system, which is definitely not worth the money they ask for.

PS: Right after posting, I noticed my remote from the speaker system (Logitech Z906) turns off my TV... don't know why, it never happened before.

Silver Member
    Achievements:

Level
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Cristian View Post
    Do you have the 8008 model?
    I watch digital channels and use a smart card (CI+).

Anyway, part of the issues I described are random (don't always occur).
    Bottom line, it's a very unstable system, which is definitely not worth the money they ask for.

PS: Right after posting, I noticed my remote from the speaker system (Logitech Z906) turns off my TV... don't know why, it never happened before.
    Yes, I have the 46PFL8008 . I don't use a smart card but watch digital channels (UK).

I agree there are definitely some stability issues and I have listed 10 bugs myself so far that need fixing. The remote issue you described is one of those instability things although I have not had it myself yet. I believe the recommendation is to unplug the TV from the mains power for 30 minutes and then plug it back in again. This "may" cure the remote interaction from your Logitech Z906.

Overall the TV is very capable of delivering one of the best modern day pictures of any TV. If only they can stabilise the software!

9. The Following User Says Thank You to jonstatt For This Useful Post:

Cristian (04-27-2014)

Bronze Member
    Achievements:

Level
    Thanks
    I agree!
    And thanks for the tip, I'll try that. Goin' for a stroll in the park anyway, will leave it unplugged

EDIT: issue fixed after unplugging
    Last edited by Cristian; 04-27-2014 at 02:27 PM. Reason: update

Silver Member
    Achievements:

Level
    Thanks
    Bug 11) Social TV loses the account information for Facebook and Twitter after the mains is unplugged from the TV and you have to login to both accounts again.

Bronze Member
    Level completed: 24%, Points required for next Level: 76
    Achievements:
    New Achievement!3 months registered250 Experience Points

Level
    Thanks
    I own a 55PFL8008. Although I am happy in terms of picture quality, and ambilight, I find the TV VERY unstable. The Smart-TV functions are also very slow, and why are there advertisements?! I don't want those...maybe give us an option to disable these?

I.e. it is impossible to launch the Netflix app when you just turned on the TV. (it just hangs...unplugging the powercord is the only way to reset it). It is always a suprise if it will start or not. I also get random restarts. The TV turns off, and on again. Very annoying. I find it very dissapointing. And unplugging the powercord is also a hassle. My TV is Wall-Mounted, and unplugging is a challenge.

I use the TV in combination with a Denon AVR receiver (AVR-1611). I also use the ARC function, an CEC is enabled. A USB HDD is connected to USB for recordings, and a CI+ module is in place for watching TV.

Does anyone else have these problems? They are present since the last firmware upgrade.
    Last edited by JeroenB; 04-28-2014 at 03:50 PM.

Bronze Member
    Level completed: 72%, Points required for next Level: 56
    Achievements:
    New Achievement!1 year registered1000 Experience Points

Level
    Thanks

netflix

The issue with the netflix app is exactly what happens here with my 55PFL8008, so you are not the only one.
    Random restarts i did not have (yet).

Quote Originally Posted by JeroenB View Post
    I own a 55PFL8008. Although I am happy in terms of picture quality, and ambilight, I find the TV VERY unstable. The Smart-TV functions are also very slow, and why are there advertisements?! I don't want those...maybe give us an option to disable these?

I.e. it is impossible to launch the Netflix app when you just turned on the TV. (it just hangs...unplugging the powercord is the only way to reset it). It is always a suprise if it will start or not. I also get random restarts. The TV turns off, and on again. Very annoying. I find it very dissapointing. And unplugging the powercord is also a hassle. My TV is Wall-Mounted, and unplugging is a challenge.

I use the TV in combination with a Denon AVR receiver (AVR-1611). I also use the ARC function, an CEC is enabled. A USB HDD is connected to USB for recordings, and a CI+ module is in place for watching TV.

Does anyone else have these problems? They are present since the last firmware upgrade.

Bronze Member
    Achievements:

Level
    Thanks
    I also described many times, the issue where the TV turns off and on again. I noticed it only happens when the HDD/flash drive is connected and configured for recording.

Level completed: 64%, Points required for next Level: 327
    Overall activity: 99.9%
    Achievements:
    New Achievement!Overdrive10000 Experience Points1 year registered
    Level
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by J.Belm View Post
    Hello,

Since the last FW update on my 46PFL8008K I happen to have an issue while playing video files with DTS sound.
    It randomly stops pauses the movie for 2 seconds very often making it impossible to watch any mkv file that I have encoded with DTS.
    I have to connect my NAS using the DNLA player of my (kind of cheap) BDP3480 that is more capable of decoding DTS sound that my expensive TV. I certainly find this ironic somehow.

Before the v 50 of the FW I was using v 46 and it was not showing this behaviour on the same files with DTS sound.
    I think that it has to do with software instead of hardware decoding, but you philips know much better your products & software.

Thanks for you feedback and I will really appreciate if this issue is solved in coming FW updates.

J.Belmon

Hi!

Please please please use the software feedback threads for reporting software issues.

Posting a new thread for new issues is in fact counterproductive. Using the already existing threads make it infinitely easier and faster for me to provide the feedback to the developers.

So I have merged your post to the Experience thread

Thank you!!

Ina
    Forum Mod

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Philips - Ina For This Useful Post:

J.Belm (05-05-2014)

Silver Member
    Achievements:

Level
    Thanks
    The built-in broadcast Freeview EPG (UK) is missing many channel logos now. There are about 25 missing logos including some really "big" channels like

BBC Three HD
    BBC Four HD
    BBC News HD
    Al Jazeera HD

But more than that, the BBC have changed the way they label their channels to be regional. For example, BBC One in London is no longer just called BBC One, but BBC One Lon

So there are 2 requests here
    1) Add channel logos for the updated/missing channels for the UK
    2) Suggested implementation. If Philips pattern match the start of the label then they avoid issues with regional labelling or HD versions. For example, if Philips store "BBC One" and just pattern match the first 7 characters, then it will work for BBC One, BBC One Lon, and even BBC One HD!! A fairly simple change that avoids a world of pain in the EPG

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast