• Display
  • Bookmark and Share
    Level completed: 3%, Points required for next Level: 97
    Overall activity: 18.0%
    Achievements:
    New Achievement!7 days registered

Level
    Thanks

Philips Fidelio AW3000 flashing amber LED and unable to do anything. Doesnt reset.

Hi

I have bought a AW3000 philips fidelio speaker last week from ebay, it was classed as open box unused new. It looks new and cables looked unopened in their packs. But speaker isnt working as its always flashing amber LED on powering up and doesnt let me use app or auxillary cable in or presets etc. Read everything on the support website.

Amber led means flashing firmware. The app doesnt find this speaker. The speaker cant play aux in or app or presets. Tried reset procedure mentioned on support website by pressing preset 1 on power up but device stays flashing amber and doesnt even once go to constant amber as mentioned on support website.

Also tried leaving plugged into ethernet cable a few days for it to reset via router but still just stays flashing amber.

Contacted support by email and they said would help and replied immediately to that email. But not heard from them since the 17th of april. So contacted webchat support who said ebay purchase means no warranty and even to check at service will cost £75 once i send it to them.

I bought five of the philips fidelio speakers from amazon and ebay and other 4 speakers (2 of the AW3000 bought for 80 each and two of the AW5000 bought for 99 each) work fine. But this Aw3000 is faulty as stuck in firmware loading stage.

Dont stand much hope of getting refund on ebay for faulty product sold as brand new open box. Would like to keep the speaker if can load the firmware myself with some help from this forum. I like my other 4 fidelio speakers so am hoping can find a way to maually load the firmware myself.

At present the speaker is a paperweight so am hoping my purchase doesnt go waste or have to spend more for postage and further £75 minimum for service centre as it would be cheaper to buy another one on ebay. Can anyone provide the firmware please and also how to load it to the device via ethernet cable. I have tried numerous times for hard reset via pressing preset 1 button during boot up and also leaving it plugged in to router. Nothing has worked yet and am hoping some one can help me out.

Bought these 5 speakers as i think they are better than sonos and wanted to review them on my youtube channel www.youtube.com/user/veryannoyingname and have already uploaded a video with my other 4 fidelio speakers www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ue5qPhI0KiM and was hoping could get this one working as well.

Any help is much appreciated.

Achievements:

Level
    Thanks

Level completed: 94%, Points required for next Level: 31
    Overall activity: 99.6%
    Achievements:
    New Achievement!5000 Experience Points1 year registered
    Level
    Thanks
    Dear veryannoyingname,

Thank you for the post. I am afraid there is not much we can do as the device seems to be faulty. I would strongly recommend you to go through Ebay's policy for returns and contact them directly.

Please accept my apology.

Kind regards,
    Sarka
    Philips Moderation Team

Achievements:

Level
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Philips - Sarka View Post
    Dear veryannoyingname,

Thank you for the post. I am afraid there is not much we can do as the device seems to be faulty. I would strongly recommend you to go through Ebay's policy for returns and contact them directly.

Please accept my apology.

Kind regards,
    Sarka
    Philips Moderation Team
    Thank you. I tried quite a few times to see if I can access the settings via browser IP address, but since I dont know the device IP address I cant access this webpage. I guess presently there is no way to know the IP address without using the airstudio+ app. Normally other wifi devices mention the IP address in a sticker below the device, but not this one.

Have contacted seller via ebay and hopefully will get their address to send it back for a refund.

Like the product as already have 2 AW5000 and 2 AW3000 speaker apart from the faulty Aw3000 that i will try to get a refund for. Might buy another one of the AW series at a later date.

Just some feed back for the product develoment team which you will hopefully pass along. The hardware on this AW line of fidelio speakers is great. I like the AW5000 as the sound quality is great. The Aw3000 is nice too but not as much as the AW5000 for sound but the size makes it better for bedrooms. I dont think I will be buying the AW9000 as the sound quality isnt much better than the AW5000 going by many of the reviews

BUT It is suicidal for a product line to limit the software to only premium apps. I have a premium deezer account that works on my multiple devices but the same cant be accessed via these speakers via the app. I can how ever stream anything and everything from laptop to any of these apeakers without using your app. I find the alternate option a better and free option than the philips option that allows me to stream anything and verything including deezer, spotify (free), jango, bloom fm, blinkbox music etc etc. All free and paid music options need to be made available ASAP (more like yesterday rather!) via the app for laptop and mobiles and tablets to make this a real one to beat. Anything else like presently offered in the app is just Philips shooting their own leg before the race even starts! Tune in radio is great though.

The app needs to work both in portrait and landscape on both tablets and mobiles. At present it is just stuck in one aspect which isnt user friendly as there are many sizes of phones and tablets and best to leave such choices to the end user rather than developer deciding whats best for the user. I have tried this app on several phones liek S4 S5 Note3 nexus 7 2012 nexus 7 2013 tegra note 7 tablet and ipad and it is equally clunky on all of them. I will probably use one of my rooted android mini pcs and use xposed framework and divert all audio out via upnp renderers instead of using your app so that anything can be streamed instead of using the limited options via the app. But messing around with rooting etc is not for everyone and if a device is to sell well, it needs to have great options out of the box which this presently does not have. At present the device is crippled by the software limiting it to paid apps which is a big shame as the hardware is great.

Wish Philips actually used beta testers for product feedback then you could have avoided the terrible feedback present for the earlier airstudio app that has probably damaged the reputation of philips wifi streamers in comparison to sonos even though the hardware in my opinion is much better than sonos systems.

The hardware could be better as presently only has 2.4ghz wifi which has more interference than the 5ghz channels. Spent hours on my first speaker trying to set up but failed as my Note 3 was on 5ghz. Basic stuff like this should be mentioned in the quick start guide which it isnt. Although it is mentioned somewhere in the FAQs on the website. Once i found out by accident after hours of trying to set up the first speaker, then the others were a doddle to set up (apart from the faulty 5th one).

Have a nice day.

edit: deezer premium didnt work for ages and now suddenly it started working in the app. dont know why it wasnt allowing me to log in earlier via the airstudio+ app. i was often trying my username and it couldnt log in, also tried email address log in and it didnt work earlier but now it is working!!!!! dont know why it was buggy earlier but now working fine although in the clunky airstudio+ manner! deezer app presentation is much much better than the extremely limited support in airstudio+ but am really pleased it atleast works now.

also whats with the AW3000 including the aux in cable but the higher spec Aw5000 not including the cable. Penny wise pound foolish as it limits people realising how awesome these speakers are out of the box. I know the cables dont cost much but thats precisely the reason why it needs to be in the box for all the models. An updated version needs to have bluetooth HD audio with aptx and hopefully multiroom streaming synchronisation via a mesh networking of all speakers in the range on a wifi network. If that happens then sonos range wont have a reason to exist!

other things really needed are google music streaming, blinkbox music streaming, jango streaming. any popular free streaming service should be included otherwise philips is just shooting their own foot while trying to get some pennies from other websites for including their paid subscription apps. Enjoying my deezer play lists now on my awesome AW5000s. The track... Drop it like its hot .. by ... Magic Drum Orchestra sounds awesome on the AW5000s. yippie!
    Last edited by veryannoyingname; 04-25-2014 at 08:35 PM. Reason: edit

5. The Following User Says Thank You to veryannoyingname For This Useful Post:

Philips - Sarka (04-29-2014)

Achievements:

Level
    Thanks
    got a partial refund on my ebay speaker. but wanted ti get it repaired. since chat with philip helpline had mentioned 75£ for repair i thought would get it done, but had forgotted the number for calling repair which was mentioned by online chat. unfortunately philips online chat doesnt send the log by email for the chat and i couldnt remember the number the lady had mentioned.

Anyway my email query was answered and they had mentioned the phone number for the repair by philips. Contacted them and the lady who answered (she didnt mention philips service) said the charge was £128 and said who ever had said 75£ was wrong. So decided to get it done (my penny wise pound foolish ebay buy had become expensive and would have been cheaper buying another new speaker as i had paid £99 for AW5000 brand new on amazon a couple of weeks ago direct sale by amazon). The lady took the payment and said courier would come and collect it. Later got email confirmation and realised it was from a private repair service and not philips!! Why does philips official email support send people asking for official philips service to a third party service. The website mentioned in the email confirmation after i made the payment was www.rmtv.co.uk and when i go to the website there is nothing about philips speakers on that website and it seems to be some rental website for washing mashines and the like! Really annoyed that philips official email support sent me to some third party instead of official philips service centre. Now stuck that I have made the payment and have sent the speaker by courier to them. Hopefully will be repaired and sent back to me! Got a text today that will take 10 days or so.

Can the forum mods confirm if the above mentioned website www.rmtv.co.uk tel number 02082329730 is actually an official philips service centre please and if not why was the official philips email support referring me to them. I distinctly remember online chat support mentioning £75 but the phone person insisted it was £128 fixed price service which is almost 75% of the present cost of new speaker if bought from amazon. Is that reasonable just to load firmware again for a brand new speaker which was never used. All the cables were taken out of the packaging by me and there is absolutely no mark on the speaker of it having ever been used and i havent been able to ever use it. Guess that was my risk of buying from ebay auction for brand new open box item.

Hopefully I will get my speakers back in working order and as new condition as i sent them and all accessories in original packaging.

Just mentioning feedback here that repair centre number and address etc needs to be mentioned on philips website and people shouldnt be diverted to some third party rental service like I was. Unfortunately for me I realised it was some unrelated third party only after making the payment and later getting the email which i requested as i wanted the address to send the speakers to by courier.

Have a nice day.

Level completed: 94%, Points required for next Level: 31
    Overall activity: 99.6%
    Achievements:
    New Achievement!5000 Experience Points1 year registered
    Level
    Thanks
    Dear user,

Thank you for your feedback and comments. I can confirm that the company R & M is an official repair agent for Philips in the UK and they provide service for our products.

I hope you will get your speakers back without any problem. If there is any issue with the service or delivery, please contact them directly on the number mentioned above.

Kind regards,
    Philips Moderation Team