Silver Member
    Level completed: 12%, Points required for next Level: 88
    Overall activity: 20.0%
    Achievements:
    New Achievement!250 Experience Points3 months registered

Level
    Thanks

IP-EPG for the UK is there and hiding!

So all UK consumers will know that Philips do not support the "Internet" based IP-EPG on any of their current models. Instead they only support the use of the Broadcast Freeview EPG.

However, secretly, a full IP-EPG is hiding in the TV that does support the UK. How do I know this? Well, when I am in the Smart TV there is a recommendations box in the top right. All of a sudden it has started to show recommendations about what programmes I watch and what time they are showing! This is powered by Gracenote.

I think what may have triggered this is when you press the I button while watching a TV programme, there is an indication that pressing the yellow button is "more info". I pressed this and it said "Do I agree to Gracenote's usage", after saying yes, it always said "no info" for any of the programmes. But clearly there is more info as if you click on the suggested programmes in Smart TV then it shows that info!

What's going on Philips? Are we getting IP-EPG support for the UK at last?

Level completed: 6%, Points required for next Level: 846
    Overall activity: 99.9%
    Achievements:
    New Achievement!Overdrive10000 Experience Points1 year registered
    Level
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jonstatt View Post
    So all UK consumers will know that Philips do not support the "Internet" based IP-EPG on any of their current models. Instead they only support the use of the Broadcast Freeview EPG.

However, secretly, a full IP-EPG is hiding in the TV that does support the UK. How do I know this? Well, when I am in the Smart TV there is a recommendations box in the top right. All of a sudden it has started to show recommendations about what programmes I watch and what time they are showing! This is powered by Gracenote.

I think what may have triggered this is when you press the I button while watching a TV programme, there is an indication that pressing the yellow button is "more info". I pressed this and it said "Do I agree to Gracenote's usage", after saying yes, it always said "no info" for any of the programmes. But clearly there is more info as if you click on the suggested programmes in Smart TV then it shows that info!

What's going on Philips? Are we getting IP-EPG support for the UK at last?

Hi jonstatt,

IP-EPG cannot be supported by Philips or any other TV manufacturers in the UK, due to UK TV licencing laws.

So therefore the IP-EPG will not be made available for UK consumers.

Gracenote is part of what powers the SmartTV recommendations, but is not just based on IP-EPG data, but also the SmartTV VoD services, which could be the reason why you are seeing these recommendations.

Best regards,
    Ina
    Forum Mod

Silver Member
    Level completed: 12%, Points required for next Level: 88
    Overall activity: 20.0%
    Achievements:
    New Achievement!250 Experience Points3 months registered

Level
    Thanks
    Thanks Ina. The recommendations are definitely Freeview channel recommendations rather than VoD ones. It even shows you a bar if the program has already started on that channel to show how much you have missed. That is what surprised me because it means Gracenote does "know" all of the TV programmes being broadcast currently.

It is a shame that licensing issues prevent a full IP-EPG for the UK.

Level completed: 6%, Points required for next Level: 846
    Overall activity: 99.9%
    Achievements:
    New Achievement!Overdrive10000 Experience Points1 year registered
    Level
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jonstatt View Post
    Thanks Ina. The recommendations are definitely Freeview channel recommendations rather than VoD ones. It even shows you a bar if the program has already started on that channel to show how much you have missed. That is what surprised me because it means Gracenote does "know" all of the TV programmes being broadcast currently.

It is a shame that licensing issues prevent a full IP-EPG for the UK.

Hi jonstatt,

The TV is capable of IP-EPG, but the licensing prevents us from activating it for UK consumers, so it can very well be based on Freeview viewing habits as well, yes.

Best regards,
    Ina
    Forum Mod