Level completed: 62%, Points required for next Level: 19
    Overall activity: 14.0%
    Achievements:
    New Achievement!

Level
    Thanks

Streaming Audio from tv

Hi all,
    this is my first post on this fine forum. After searching (without finding posts on this topic) I´m looking for advice on how to stream audio from my tv (42PFL4307 ) to external wireless speakers. I´m looking to complement my AV setup with a JBL L16 speaker which feature wireless connectivity via AirPlay, DNLA and Bluetooth.

Is there let´s say an HDMI device/dongle that would let the audio of my tv, to travel wirelessly to this speakers, via AirPlay, DNLA or Bluetooth?

Hope for some good advice on this topic

Cheers!
    Jens

Level completed: 13%, Points required for next Level: 790
    Overall activity: 92.0%
    Achievements:
    New Achievement!Overdrive10000 Experience Points1 year registered
    Level
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by JensTF View Post
    Hi all,
    this is my first post on this fine forum. After searching (without finding posts on this topic) I´m looking for advice on how to stream audio from my tv (42PFL4307 ) to external wireless speakers. I´m looking to complement my AV setup with a JBL L16 speaker which feature wireless connectivity via AirPlay, DNLA and Bluetooth.

Is there let´s say an HDMI device/dongle that would let the audio of my tv, to travel wirelessly to this speakers, via AirPlay, DNLA or Bluetooth?

Hope for some good advice on this topic

Cheers!
    Jens

Hi Jens,

That's a good but tricky question to answer. I can however tell you what the TV might support (barring compatibility issues with 3rd party devices).

From a quick glance, the best connection option to your speakers would be using optical cable. While this is not wireless, it would be the best and most reliable connection option.

The second wired connection option is via 3.5mm jack, but this would be less desirable.

In regards to wireless: The TV does not natively have a wireless audio out streaming functionality. You would need a 3rd party device to accomplish this. On this I can only tentatively advise you.

What I could imagine might work would be some sort of HDMI to Bluetooth ARC compatible WiFi dongle. Whether these exist or are reliable I don't have any knowledge of.

Whatever is connected via HDMI would however need to support ARC (Audio Return Channel) for there to be audio out from the TV.

As for any possible Apple AirPlay devices I would not think these would provide a fantastic result.

So in all honesty an optical connection would in my opinion be your best bet.

If any other users have similar experiences they wish to share, I'll leave this thread open for the normal amount of time

Best regards,
    Ina
    Forum Mod

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Philips - Ina For This Useful Post:

JensTF (04-30-2014)

Level completed: 62%, Points required for next Level: 19
    Overall activity: 14.0%
    Achievements:
    New Achievement!

Level
    Thanks
    Hi Ina,
    thanks for your reply! No question, a physical connection, digital or analog would be to prefer over 3rd party wireless. But the ide is to get rid of wires...without to much a downgrade (subjective) on audio quality. After searching around for hdmi dongles I have come close, but no cigar. There might be some solutions in a raspberry-pi, a chromecast or other third party gear, but that alley seem like to big a hassle. What I have found, will try out, and would like to share with this forum, is a regular Bluetooth transmitter from TaoTronics model TT-BA02. From reviews it seem to impress people with its rich sound and with very little time lag (hardly- to not noticeable, when watching movies ). The unit charge through its usb-connection while transmitting, so no battery issues. The unit is reviewed to transmit quality-sound miles better than ipods and iphones (pre Airplay I´ll guess). At 30 €, it is at least worth a try.

Level completed: 13%, Points required for next Level: 790
    Overall activity: 92.0%
    Achievements:
    New Achievement!Overdrive10000 Experience Points1 year registered
    Level
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by JensTF View Post
    Hi Ina,
    thanks for your reply! No question, a physical connection, digital or analog would be to prefer over 3rd party wireless. But the ide is to get rid of wires...without to much a downgrade (subjective) on audio quality. After searching around for hdmi dongles I have come close, but no cigar. There might be some solutions in a raspberry-pi, a chromecast or other third party gear, but that alley seem like to big a hassle. What I have found, will try out, and would like to share with this forum, is a regular Bluetooth transmitter from TaoTronics model TT-BA02. From reviews it seem to impress people with its rich sound and with very little time lag (hardly- to not noticeable, when watching movies ). The unit charge through its usb-connection while transmitting, so no battery issues. The unit is reviewed to transmit quality-sound miles better than ipods and iphones (pre Airplay I´ll guess). At 30 €, it is at least worth a try.

Hi Jens,

EDIT: Just realised the transmitter you mentioned is a 3.5mm connection device, so this reply has been edited

3.5mm headphones out only supports stereo audio, but should work as it is a live port

USB charging should also not be an issue.

Do let us know what you come up with in the end!

Best regards,
    Ina
    Last edited by Philips - Ina; 05-01-2014 at 08:58 AM. Reason: Lack of coffee...
    Forum Mod