Level completed: 19%, Points required for next Level: 81
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:
    New Achievement!7 days registered

Level
    Thanks

Philips machines not easily linking

Hello.
    I have an HTB3260/12, and a Philips 50PFL4208T/12 smart TV. I simply cannot get the products to operate together via the ARC cable and Easylink system. This is the second HTB3260 we have had, having returned the first, thinking that the product was defective. (In fact, the workers at the store from which the product was purchased were not able to get the Easylink system to work with the TVs they had in the store.) We are simply at our wits end in using time to try to set up the system. The DVD works fine, sending out the video to the TV and playing the sound on the sound system. When we follow the Quick Start Guide, going to the installation of the sound system, and asking the sound system to find the TV via Easylink, nothing is found. On the installation area of the TV, sound area, HDMI 1-ARC, it is set "on" ("til" in Danish).
    So, we are ready to bring the sound system back and get our money back. We really like the product's sound and really want to get it to work, but after we have use hours trying to get it to do so we are just ready to give up. Can you please suggest something to help. Can we call someone to take us through this step by step? (We have updated the software on the TV.) Is there some video we can watch? Is there some other issue we are just missing?
    Please help.
    Very frustrated consumer.
    David

Level completed: 65%, Points required for next Level: 210
    Overall activity: 99.8%
    Achievements:
    New Achievement!Overdrive5000 Experience Points1 year registered
    Level
    Thanks
    Dear Sir,

Please pm me your contact details including your phone number, location and preferred language of communication and I will arrange for a callback from our Call Centre.

Kind regards,
    Philips Moderation Team

Achievements:

Level
    Thanks
    OK.
    I had a telephone call with Philips. First with a fellow responsible for sounds systems. He was pleasant and patient, and we worked through all he could think of, but to no avail. The sound system did not work. He referred me to a fellow responsible for televisions, thinking that there might be something wrong with the television. I spoke with him. Identified that the software on the TV needed to be updated. I agreed to do this and call back if the problem continued. We updated the television without a problem. But still the sound system did not work. No audio out from the TV to the sound system.
    We in the household were determined either to make this work or to get our money back. But still very tired of fighting with the systems, so we took a day pause. On the weekend, I sat quietly with the systems trying to get the connection to work.
    At one moment, I was in the Setup section of the television. (Mind you, all the settings on both the devices were set correctly, but not having an operational effect.) I went to Sound setup, then to ADVANCED, then to HDMI1-ARC. I turned the setting to Off (it was On), then turned the television off. I turned the TV on again (the sound system was attached to the TV all this time and turned on). Almost immediately, the TV showed a small window saying that I needed to establish a connection with my sound system. Apparently the TV realised that the sound system was attached, but the software controls needed to take this into account. I went into the TV set up, Sound, Advanced, HDMI1-ARC, and turned it now ON. Voila. It all worked. The icon for Source: HDMI1, now showed HTB-Sound System (not the generic HDMI icon), the TV remote control properly controls the sound on the sound system, the sound from the TV comes out of the sound system. SO, I think I stumbled onto the solution. PHILIPS, note this for future reference.
    I hold my breath, hoping that the whole thing continued to hold and continue working.
    Again, you were all nice, tried to be helpful, but I ended up finding the solution myself. (No problem… This is sometimes the way these electronics devices work, from my experience. But it would have been less irritating if the solution was found immediately, or if the products worked immediately.
    I will be back if the connection fails!
    :-)
    P.S. We are still very happy with the sound!
    David
    P.p.s. After a few hours of use, we found that the pause/time buffer on the television no longer worked. That is, it was not possible to pause live play of a broadcast using the double virticle line button on the remote.
    Last edited by dkdave; 05-04-2014 at 07:43 AM.

Achievements:

Level
    Thanks
    OK. Further developments. Had visitors who fiddled with the machines. Afterward the sound system connection with the tv were lost. I could not restablish the connection. Did further research and fell upon the issue of having other machines connected to the TV via HDMI, like the computer feeding streamed video. AND the connection using a CEC compliant cable with the result of some type of interference with the Philips sound product connection. I disconnected the other HDMI device, turned off power, turned it all on again, switched off the Easylink connection in the television, turned the whole thing off again, disconnected AC, then turned the whole thing on again, turned on EASY LINK, turned it all off again, turned it then on again and... the connection was establish, problem solved again, as before.
    SO, I attribute the problem with this to the attachment of other machines that are CEC compliant cabled to the TV at the same time as the sound machine is CEC cabled to it. We had used the computer with the sound system, using the CEC compliance cable and it did work, and will try it again tonight. It will be interesting to see if it works again. In any case, I just bought a HDMI cable that is not CEC compliant, i.e. no 13th pin connection, and will use it when delivered to attach the computer. Let's see how this works out.
    Still, sound is great. Philips is not so great for not fixing this. Consumer takes hours and hours to find the solution.
    Not very impressive.
    Last edited by dkdave; 05-20-2014 at 04:44 PM.

Achievements:

Level
    Thanks
    The answer:
    A HDMI cable that conforms to the 1.2 HDMI standard. This is an old version, which does not have the CEC controlling pin 13 connected.
    The issue and the solution is to be found on internet, search and search and searching.
    We in the household are mad a Philips for not telling people what the solution is, perhaps because it exposes a deeper issue with the product, i.e. that a small piece of electronics, a capacitor, has a value that is too low to accommodate a modern cable.
    No more time for you people. I hope this helps some frustrated consumers out there.
    David
    P.S. To be clear, use a modern cable with pin 13 to connect the HTS with the television. Use a cable without pin 13 for attaching other equipment to the TV via HDMI.

Level completed: 31%, Points required for next Level: 34
    Overall activity: 10.0%
    Achievements:
    New Achievement!

Level
    Thanks
    I'm having similar problems with a HTL9100 sound bar and reading this I'm not confident that Philips products, sound bars at least, are much good. I hope I'm able to get the help I need to get my system working well but I'm not confident.