• Display
  • Bookmark and Share
    Level completed: 30%, Points required for next Level: 631
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    New Achievement!Overdrive10000 Experience Points1 year registered
    Level
    Thanks

Thumbs up Experience thread - FW v000.173.051.000 (173.51) - for 8xx8 Series - 2013

Hi,

The new FW will be live soon. For technical feedback (pos. and neg. points) please post here:
    http://philips.to/SvSkqa

This thread is more for details and discussions.
    This FW is applicable to EU models only.

NOTE:
    Please be aware it is advised to only update to this version manually via USB.

IMPORTANT: After upgrading your TV, it is necessary to perform a "cold start". This means that, after the TV is running again (after the update), shut down the TV, wait 1 minute (till all components are shut down), and unplug the TV from the mains (pull power cord) for 2 minutes before starting again.

Changelog:

QF2EU-0.173.51.0 (Date published: 2014-04-28)
    • Solution navigation HBBTV on ORF HD channels.
    • Improvement start up behavior 9708-sets.
    • Solution for BBCi Player.
    • Improvement audio dropout optical out.
    • Improvement for future internet upgrade.

QF2EU-0.173.49.0 (Date published: 2014-04-03)
    • Improvement for video playback in ORF HBB TV.
    • Improvement for OSD progress bar Bulgaria.
    • Fixes for security issues.

QF2EU-0.173.48.0 (Date published: 2014-04-01)
    • Improvements for reboots.

QF2EU-0.173.46.0 (Date published: 2014-02-10)
    • Solution for picture moves 5 pixel right when in PC/ Game mode.
    • Solution on the level of the infobar on Bulgarian cable. (Blizoo operator).
    • Solution about HBBTV (through the red button) that gives a black screen instead of video content provided by the broadcast.
    • Improvements for Smart TV.
    • Improvements in Russia text database.
    • Improvements in audio/video sync in digital broadcast.
    • Improvements in Video on demand applications (Ukraine and Slovenia).

QF2EU-0.173.45.0 (Date published: 2014-01-29)
    • Improvement on picture level for the 60PFL8708S (Elevation set).

QF2EU-0.173.44.0 (Date published: 2013-12-10)
    • Solution for half of the HD subtitles that are not displayed.
    • Unicable implementation shall support a user selected LO frequency.
    • Introduction of DVB-T profile full in case of Bulgaria.
    • Introduction Chinese language in Fusion and also (again) on Android.
    • Solution for Telenet, during wintertime clock is still according summer time (+ 1 hour).
    • Solution about "You have connected a CAM" osd is seen coming up while navigating through TV Guide.
    • Improvement with Ambilight Hue set up configured.
    • Solution to avoid that during installation you gets failure for Romania country, when selecting "Other" as Operator.
    • Solution so that Sky Bundesliga SD and Sky Select SD services shall always be installed.

QF2EU-0.173.42.0 (Date published: 2013-11-20)
    • Solution for Take Away Display (TAD) when there are 3 or more TVís in the network using IOS7.
    • Solution for 3D not available on YouTube.
    • Solution for Skype - Handling of Microsoft ID.
    • Solution for Ambilight flicker in 24Hz Videos (to be verified)
    • Solution for TV crashing while Using Ambilight+Hue App

Best regards,
    Ina
    Forum Mod

Silver Member
    Level completed: 12%, Points required for next Level: 88
    Overall activity: 20.0%
    Achievements:
    New Achievement!250 Experience Points3 months registered

Level
    Thanks
    3 Bugs fixed - noted at the bottom

1) PWM set to minimum forces Clear LCD to on even if Clear LCD is set to off in menus. Also suspicious that PWM minimum is not actually minimum at all

2) If HDMI connection from a device outputting Dolby Digital, sound and picture are out of sync on TV

3) If HDMI connection from a device outputting stereo or DD, the optical output of the TV is delayed and therefore not correctable

4) In the UK, only broadcast EPG is supported. If you press the i button while watching a TV programme, it says to press yellow for "more info". But there is no more info...it tries to go to Gracenote EPG which of course fails and gives blank screen.

5) Light sensor doesn't respond correctly when picture mode is set to Personal. This can easily be seen by changing to natural in a dim room and enabling and then disabling the light sensor...the contrast changes as expected. Switch to personal, and there is no change whatsoever by enabling and disabling the light sensor

6) When sound input via HDMI is stereo, but sound output setting in the TV sound menus is set to multi-channel, the volume of the sound output is very reduced.

7) With PWM enabled, sometimes a frame is skipped particularly on fast moving scenes (seen as a sudden jump in the picture from one frame to the next). But if you rewind the video and play the same section again, the skipped frame does NOT happen! This indicates that the TV is struggling to maintain the processing power needed to keep PWM running smoothly.

8) YouTube app has a facility where you can "throw" the video from your mobile phone. For example if you are running YouTube on an Android phone, a little symbol appears near the top right showing devices that you can "throw" the video to. Unfortunately this feature is only working if the TV is connected via Ethernet cable and does not "broadcast" itself as YouTube friendly when in wireless mode.

9) Lots of Freeview UK channels are missing their channel logos. For example there is now a BBC Three HD, BBC Four HD, BBC News HD. Al Jazeera HD etc. Also, BBC One has been relabelled based on region, so for example BBC One Lon means BBC One London. As a result even BBC One has no channel logo anymore. I guess the code needs to change to pattern match the first x characters to prevent this from happening. There are about 25 channels with no logos at the moment.

10) Network keeps reconnecting even when connected with Ethernet. This is seen as the steps 1,2,3 of the network connection wizard appearing again and again while navigating Smart TV apps or menus. Mainly happening on the web browser in 0.51.

11) Ambilight brightness control has a range of 0-10. In Dynamic mode, changing this affects the brightness and level of colour. However, in Static and ISF warm-white, only 0-5 makes any difference. 6-10 doesn't do anything at all. The range has been set wrongly for these Ambilight modes.

12) From community member DarkDragon. After using the Browse Network feature and choosing a folder with about 4000 songs it simply crashed... complete black out; I had the chance only to listen a few songs.

13) Cloud Explorer - If you try to play a video in your Dropbox, it fails to play any video I tried or has extensive rebuffering. But not only that, the TV tries to play it over and over and over again (you cannot see this happening)....until Dropbox bans your account because it suspects you are trying to host an illegal video! I had to get Dropbox to unban my account and warned they may not unban me next time. Playing the same video directly from Dropbox on the PC works just fine (buffering issue?)

14) From community member DarkDragon. Web Browser - It took me 15 minutes to get to this Philips forum, starting with a Google search "Philips support forum". At the beginning I had even the impression that this forum can not be browsed from Philips' own devices. I used even a Logitech Wireless Trackball M570 to "enhance" the painful experience. Reason: the links are not click-able if you don't keep the cursor a little bit to the right
    Attachment 2532

Attachment 2533

Besides this, the pages are loading extremely slowly.

15) The icons for HDMI devices (in the source select menu) are lost after a while (wither cold reboot, a crash, etc.). This is not the case for the SCART input where I have attached a Wii.

Attachment 2534

Another part of the bug, is that the order of devices (inputs) is altered with each modification

Attachment 2535

Even so, as I said from the first time, this modification will be lost after a while.

This happened with previous firmwares as well.

Enhancement requests
    1) When using the broadcaster EPG (Freeview) there is no page up/down to quickly go through the pages of channels. You can't even hold down up and down to cycle through the channels easily. You have to press up or down over and over again! P+ and P- should be used for paging through the EPG. >> and << should be used for changing the days of the week

2) Miracast is not useful as nearly every modern Android phone uses HDCP. Can HDCP support be added? I can't find any device to use with the Miracast feature because of this so its a pointless feature at present for most people.

3) From community member DarkDragon. When using the browse network feature, there is a lack of search capability in a karge folder or a page up/page down feature so I can fast skip batches (pages) of items in a folder.

Fixed
    1) (Fixed) You cannot use both Social TV and Cloud explorer apps with .50 as if you set Social TV, then you just get a black screen with Cloud Explorer. If you reset the internet settings, you can then set Cloud Explorer, but then Social TV just hangs and you get a spinning circle in the centre of the screen forever

2)(Fixed) BBC iPlayer is broken. You can browse the TV programmes, but you cannot play any (Results in timeout error)

3)(Fixed) Social TV loses the account information for Facebook and Twitter after the mains is unplugged from the TV and you have to login to both accounts again.
    Last edited by jonstatt; 05-20-2014 at 10:49 AM.

3. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to jonstatt For This Useful Post:

darkdragon (05-20-2014),Louikes (05-13-2014),Ville (05-07-2014),Waawe (05-06-2014)

Silver Member
    Level completed: 79%, Points required for next Level: 42
    Achievements:
    New Achievement!1 year registered1000 Experience Points

Level
    Thanks
    I have to say I find it very disappointing that some important issues such as audio delay on DD 5.1 streams over HDMI and PNM frame skipping are still not fixed.

@Ina: can you confirm that the development team has at least been able to confirm/reproduce these issues and is working on a solution?

Level completed: 44%, Points required for next Level: 56
    Achievements:
    31 days registered100 Experience PointsNew Achievement!

Level
    Thanks
    I have updated my 8008k 55'. I didnt see this thread and I have updated it via internet. Nothing bad happeneed... So... Why is advised to update via USB?

Also... the firmware was 173.50, not the 173.51... Whats the difference?

Cheers.

Silver Member
    Level completed: 79%, Points required for next Level: 42
    Achievements:
    New Achievement!1 year registered1000 Experience Points

Level
    Thanks
    @PRiSMiWi: 173.51 is not available over the internet yet. 173.50 is the previous version, so if you really want to upgrade to 173.51 you'll have to download it and put it on a USB stick.

Silver Member
    Level completed: 92%, Points required for next Level: 25
    Achievements:
    New Achievement!1000 Experience Points1 year registered

Level
    Thanks
    Ugh, it's now over 80 days since firmware has updated anything noteworthy - even though your users have been actively reporting what they would like to get fixed asap. Every time I get my hopes up for a new release and try to wait patiently. Then it gets released and even just reading the change log kills the inner child in me.

Silver Member
    Achievements:

Level
    Thanks
    Bug 11) Ambilight brightness control has a range of 0-10. In Dynamic mode, changing this affects the brightness and level of colour. However, in Static and ISF warm-white, only 0-5 makes any difference. 6-10 doesn't do anything at all. The range has been set wrongly for these Ambilight modes.
    Last edited by jonstatt; 05-11-2014 at 11:31 PM.

Bronze Member
    Level completed: 88%, Points required for next Level: 25
    Achievements:
    New Achievement!500 Experience Points1 year registered

Level
    Thanks
    Is there any point in providing feedback?

I should have bought a Samsung.

Silver Member
    Achievements:

Level
    Thanks
    Although I think its crazy that the Philips Miracast implementation does not support HDCP and therefore doesn't work with most Samsung phones and devices ( I believe HTC One is also affected by this).....I wanted to let people know that it does work with the Nexus 7 (2013) tablet just fine.
    Last edited by jonstatt; 05-11-2014 at 07:04 PM.

Bronze Member
    Level completed: 50%, Points required for next Level: 200
    Overall activity: 16.0%
    Achievements:
    Tagger Second ClassNew Achievement!3 months registered500 Experience Points
    Level
    Thanks

Unhappy

to continue jonstatt's list

Bug 12) i just used the Browse Network (don't know exactly the menu in English) and after browsing a folder with about 4000 songs it simply crashed... complete black out; I had the chance only to listen a few songs. Besides, there is a lack for searching items in a folder or a page up/page down feature so I can fast skip batches (pages) of items in a folder.
    Last edited by darkdragon; 05-12-2014 at 08:12 PM.

Silver Member
    Achievements:

Level
    Thanks
    Bug 13) Cloud Explorer - If you try to play a video in your Dropbox, it fails to play any video I tried. But not only that, the TV tries to play it over and over and over again (you cannot see this happening)....until Dropbox bans your account because it suspects you are trying to host an illegal video or something! I had to get Dropbox to unban my account and warned they may not unban me next time. So I won't be trying to play any more videos with Cloud Explorer!!

Level completed: 15%, Points required for next Level: 85
    Achievements:
    New Achievement!3 months registered250 Experience Points

Level
    Thanks
    Hi Guys,

It seems that fw has become worse, crashes over here on netflix. Have to power down tv to get rid of black screen. Dynamic backlight still not fixed.
    For my job I am a FW tester as well from time to time, if I accepted such FW in my testplan execution I would have to search for an other job probably!
    After an update not only bug fixed should be tested, but also the rest of the features.
    Testing according to solid testplan is very important, but takes time.

Bronze Member
    Level completed: 62%, Points required for next Level: 38
    Overall activity: 16.0%
    Achievements:
    New Achievement!3 months registered500 Experience Points

Level
    Thanks
    for me downgrading to 171.056 was the only option, they should start developing from that firmware onward and backport the fixes one-by-one.

Level completed: 44%, Points required for next Level: 56
    Achievements:
    31 days registered100 Experience PointsNew Achievement!

Level
    Thanks
    Quality image on 8008k is awesome, software is awful... Slow as hell smartapps, youtube slow as hell, menu slow as hell...

I cannot believe that the tv can do it better with a firmware upgrade

Silver Member
    Achievements:

Level
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by PRiSMiWi View Post
    Quality image on 8008k is awesome, software is awful... Slow as hell smartapps, youtube slow as hell, menu slow as hell...

I cannot believe that the tv can do it better with a firmware upgrade
    That is how I feel too. The image quality is amazing. I feel it is like looking through a window at something real rather than a TV! But the processing power is completely under-powered. I see this with many devices these days. Manufacturers make amazing products let-down by choosing inadequate processors.

BTW - The best way to use YouTube is to use your iPhone or Android phone to select the video and then press the "cast" button near the top right corner, and then it tells the TV to display the same video. But this only works (due to a bug in the TV) if your TV is connected via Ethernet.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast