Bronze Member
    Level completed: 43%, Points required for next Level: 230
    Overall activity: 32.0%
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience PointsNew Achievement!Veteran

Level
    Thanks

Firmware V1.60 Issues/BUGs

I made this topic because I hope Philips dev team will solve these issues asap.
    I have contacted my local philips service partner and they said there is nothing they can do for it and they recommended to ask a refund from the store where I bought this.

I bought this Blu-ray player only because I wanted to use the services that weren't supported by 2009 TV models. So my main use is the Net TV.

Issues:

01. When using Net TV service and playing a video clip the Screen Saver goes on (happened with Vimeo).

When playing long Net TV videos (1-2 hours) from Vimeo the playback stops and skips to the next video. I don't know if this is a Vimeo service or BDP issue.

Sometimes it's almost impossible to load the Net TV home screen after starting any service. Going back to player menu and starting the Net TV starts the last used service. Very frustrating.

04. The name "Net TV" is translated (to "Net-TV") in my local language (Finnish) by mistake. Please fix this wrong spelling. AFAIK the Net TV brand shouldn't be translated.

05. When I insert a DVD movie and power OFF the player. And then power on, the player will automatically load/start reading the disc and very often hangs on the movie menus. This happens with many different movies/series. Please make an option to the settings to disable the auto playback.

Diamond Member
    Level completed: 9%, Points required for next Level: 365
    Overall activity: 25.0%
    Achievements:
    1 year registered1000 Experience PointsNew Achievement!
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender

Level
    Thanks
    http://www.supportforum.philips.com/....&highlight=UI

hope you dont mind i copy your translated issue to the above thread.

for issue 2 , to me , it's more like the service provider prob...
    issue 1, it makes sense to me-while watching net tv, the screen saver should go on. easy workaround may be to to turn off the screensaver first.
    issue 5, an option will be great... as we discussed before...

Bronze Member
    Level completed: 43%, Points required for next Level: 230
    Overall activity: 32.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thanks
    Thanks kwinnie for your help. I didn't know that topic existed. :-)

Level completed: 63%, Points required for next Level: 260
    Overall activity: 16.0%
    Achievements:
    1 year registered1000 Experience PointsNew Achievement!10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thanks
    Hi Xtreme and Hawkje,

Please check this topic http://www.supportforum.philips.com/...5382#post15382

Regards,
    Forum Mod

Bronze Member
    Level completed: 84%, Points required for next Level: 50
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thanks
    Hi there,

I've been experiencing an intriguing issue after updating to the latest firmware (1.60)!

Everytime when there is a disc loaded, doesn´t matter if it´s a DVD or BD, It´s kind of difficult to establish an sucessfull connection to Net TV.

E.G.: When there is a disc loaded and I hit ¨browse Net TV¨, the player tries to connect to the server and I get the ¨Testing connection to Internet¨ screen. After a while I get the ¨Could not connect to the Internet. Please check that the router is turned on and try again¨

So... The router is on and fully functional... no problem there...

But if I eject the disc inside, I can access Net TV in a glance!

I´d also like to point out that this is not a rule of thumb... Sometimes I can access Net TV with a disc loaded, but this happens in the minority of the trials, I would say 2 out of 10 times.

The fact is that when there is no disc in the player, I can ALWAYS access Net TV without any drawback. And before the firmware update, this issue was non-existant!

Has anyone else experienced this bug aswell?

Kind regards

Silver Member
    Level completed: 61%, Points required for next Level: 118
    Achievements:

Level
    Thanks
    It is by now obvious that firmware 1.60 introduced more bugs than fixes, and not coincidentally, they are mostly related to networking applications.

Since I have already described my problems in another thread, I am not going to repeat them here.

However, I feel compelled to emphasize that before this firmware installation everything was working fine, which leads me believe that there must be a software cure. If there isn't, the player is surely going to be serviced by Philips, and this will be the second time around this year.

What is further confusing me, I confess, is that Philips software engineers are so painfully slow to fix things up, and since I rely on PAL/NTSC playback among other things, I have already ordered a player from another maker. In other words, since a new firmware is nowhere to be seen, I am not holding my breath.

Sorry folks, that I must be so candid in order to say the truth. Granted, the number of people posting in this forum describes a very small universe of users. There is no indication that problems arising from this and past firmware updates are not making end users resourcing directly to Philips for a solution, instead of posting their findings here.

But the fact is that a brand new player in this category is deserving a quality support of the same calibre, something that Philips engineers are yet to prove they do. And if potential end users are reading this, they will surely stay away from the 8000 and from the 9000, for that matter.

It is a pity, since the 8000 provides an excellent scaling, it is fast and features a 36 bits component video output for those who may make full use of it.

I concur that the lack of an auto playback feature is undesirable but even with is current setup options, the 8000 would provide any user a reliable playback for BD-V in every regard. What is stopping this is a software revision that will mend other than introduce any further errors.

Bronze Member
    Achievements:

Level
    Thanks
    Hi Paulo,

Thanks for your reply!

I´ve read the other thread and I feel obliged to say that my issue is minor when compared to the ones faced by you and others!

However I must say that now I´m also afraid to experience them in the future!

By the way, have you been able to reproduce my issue? I would be thankfull if you tried and let me know afterwards, I´d like to know if my issue is an isolated problem or if it is a common bug from the new firmware.

Like you I´m truly sorry about all these bugs because as you´ve posted earlier on, the BDP8000 has an excellent scaler and suberb picture quality. The 36 bits component output and the analogue 7.1 channnels outputs are really a must-have for users with older equipment. I can´t but wonder how the BDP9600 is like and really would really like to try it, it´s a pitty Philips doesn´t sell it here in Brazil.

Best regards.

Bronze Member
    Achievements:

Level
    Thanks
    Hi everyone!

I´m pleased to report that I´ve been able to solve the issue I discribed on my second last post!

This morning I experienced a power failure that lasted aproximately 30 minutes. After that the player started to log on to the Net Tv service flawlessly whether or not having a disc inserted.

Funny thing that the player had to be ¨reset¨ by unplugging it for quite a while. I´ve tried to unplug it before, but only for a few seconds, and it didn´t help.

Maybe the problem wasn´t the new firmware after all, just some weird internal conflict caused by whatever reason... go figure...

I´ll keep an eye on the player and let you know if anything unexpected should arise.

Diamond Member
    Level completed: 9%, Points required for next Level: 365
    Overall activity: 25.0%
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender

Level
    Thanks
    Glad to hear that Earthling.

@Paulo Roberto Elias, do you think you still want to give it a try to unplug the player for like 30 mins?

Silver Member
    Achievements:

Level
    Thanks
    Hi, Earthling,

Per your request I inserted a DVD in my player, let it play it for a while, stopped it and activated NetTV. It was fully working. I resumed playing and tried it again, same results. In other words, I could not reproduce your problem

I was about to mention that my player was the /78 model but now I noticed that you are located in São Paulo, so I gather it must be the same.

I tried to purchase the BDP-9000 when Philips had it advertised in its site last year, but they got it out soon enough. In retrospective I am glad they did, because now I found a good excuse to make an equivalent player my next purchase, hopefully without the same firmware issues.

The BDP-8000 is my third Blu-Ray player. None of its predecessors produced hardware or firmware issues like the 8000 did, and I still do not know if the player's faults are solely resided in software design. The 8000 went to service in the beginning of the year when it brand new and was freezing playback at random. At the time I thought that Philips was sending me a new one, but instead they replaced most of its internal components. The only thing they did not replace was its power supply. It took me by surprise but a Philips rep in this forum said to me that Philips had different maintenance schemes world-wide.

Until recently the 8000 was playing fine, with the widely known firmware bug that it would not acknowledge the existence of a firmware update whilst on-line. I have no problems with that, since I can update the player via USB.

Another Brazilian user, however, claimed he could not install firmware 1.60 in his player. Since he did not post anything later, I don't know if the just gave up or not.

Ok, but firmware 1.60 removed my wireless settings and BD-Live at the same time. The latter resurfaced after I tried an Ethernet cable, and I still do not an explanation for that, and neither one was offered by the Philips people in the forum.

I must say that these guys have been quite supportive and this is, frankly speaking, the only reason I am still hopeful to keep my player away from servicing.

In the other thread, a Philips rep posted today that network settings are affected. I had provided them some private feedback on this issue and I am relieved to know that they are on route to fix the network issues altogether.

It also gives me hope that these issues will be cured by software replacement. Today's electronics engineering is a combination of hardware and programming. Ideally, all problems would be addressed by reprogramming the firmware application.
    Last edited by Paulo Roberto Elias; 11-28-2011 at 09:42 AM.

Silver Member
    Achievements:

Level
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by kwinnie View Post

@Paulo Roberto Elias, do you think you still want to give it a try to unplug the player for like 30 mins?
    I can try that, yes, but I don't see what good it would do. Judging from my experience with desktop computers one needs just a few seconds to completely erase and reset the computer's internal memory.

Flash memory, on the other hand, cannot be erased that easily, or at least it shouldn't, otherwise all setup settings would be lost.

In my player's issue with losing wireless setting upon standby, it seems plausible that a command is running to erase those settings from memory. If that is the case, a firmware update would remove that command to circumvent the problem to occur on a permanent basis.

Silver Member
    Achievements:

Level
    Thanks
    Ok, then, I am back after leaving my 8000 unplugged by some good 30 minutes.

First off, I sincerely appreciate your effort to help me, Kwinnie, but, regrettably my results were not different from before.

After the suggested 30 minutes I turned the player back on and retyped its wireless connection. I tested with both PC and NetTV working flawlessly. I turned off the player to standby and back on again. The wireless settings were gone!

These results reinforce my previous hypothesis that there must be a command to erase these settings hidden in the firmware code, which must be located and removed. To the best of my knowledge no flash memory can be erased unless a command is given to that effect.

Unplugging the player briefly helps to recover its original settings and/or erase trash content from its volatile memory. I did precisely that when firmware 1.60 was first installed and the player kept freezing the playback of discs, and it worked!

Now, erasing setup settings is a completely different situation altogether, and it is an unacceptable performance for a player of this kind.

Errors were introduced after firmware for /78 player and this is clearly where they can be tracked down. It is either this or a damaged memory chip!

Bronze Member
    Achievements:

Level
    Thanks
    Hi Paulo,

Thanks for trying to reproduce my issue, I really appreciate your help!

Like I mentioned before, it was a really strange thing that I had to experience a power failure in order to get rid of my problem. Just unplugging it for a few seconds didn´t produce any benefical effect on the player. You´ve mentioned the characteriscts of flash and volatile memory and I recognize the difference in both but it is still intriguing that my Net Tv annoyance was solved by depriving the device from power for quite a long time.

I also happen to have an old receiver from Philips, an FR752, that acts out in such a strange way. The receiver is in my farm that I visit once a month and once in a while it looses all of its settings when unplugged. Of course it is a 16 years old receiver that has never been serviced before. But as I said, it´s only once in a while! I ´ve been unable to find a pattern to this behavior. Sometimes I spend the whole month without plugging it in and the settings are still there, pre-set and unchanged. Sometimes I experience a power failure that lasts a couple of hours and voila, all the settings are gone!

Another odd example is my also 16 years old Philips 29GX1898 Tv set. This TV never, I mean NEVER, looses clock ajdust. Sometimes the TV sits unused and unplugged for more than two months and when I plug it in, the clock is always right. At first I thought that the Tv had an internal battery to back up the clock´s settings, just like personal computers have, but come on... it never ran out... 16 years and the thing is still going strong, so it can´t possibly be a battery. The big question is how this tv mantains the adjust for so long? By the way, that is a good question to be asked here in this Philips forum, don´t you think?

I know that this thread is about the BDP8000´s new firmware bugs but I think that these examples are worth mentioning in order to compare oddities that might or not happen!

I´ve also seen the diagram about the lost network settings you´ve posted and must say that I´m glad I haven´t exerienced them but also sorry for you and other users who might be suffering from it!
    I strongly hope that all the issues regarding the current firmware are solved as soon as possible!

Good luck and best regards
    Last edited by Earthling; 11-29-2011 at 02:07 AM.

Silver Member
    Achievements:

Level
    Thanks
    Hi, Earthling,

I am not an expert in electronics, but I know this from experience:

Back in the mid-1990's I bought my first DVD player and it came with a manual stating that "power outages can erase the user's settings" or something to that effect.

That was true for the electronics made for these players but the electronics and memory boards have evolved tremendously after that. So much so that you won't find that kind of warning in the user's manual.

This means that user's settings cannot be erased by power outages any more? Certainly not! But not to the point that when the lights go off you are in trouble.

Unplugging players for more than 1 minute does not make things right, and I surely do not have any explanation or will ever be able to hypothesise what happened to your player. I also do not have any reasonable explanation why my player lost BD-Live and one day I inserted an Ethernet cable and it came back alive and well.

Power outages can damage your sensitive gear. Not the outage per se but the power surge that may arise when the electricity turns back on. This is the reason why years ago I decided to install a power conditioner to feed my AV gear. It is a 1.2 kVa conditioner which can clean up electrical supply and hopefully protect whatever is hooked to it.

Whenever updating firmwares I am always cautious but luckily I never had any problems with outages.

At this point I am not sure if a firmware update is able to damage a memory chip. Possible, yes, but not likely.

And because the Philips technicians found out that in 7 out 10 times they lost their wi-fi settings with firmware 1.60 this finding suggests, but not conclusively prove, that bad code in running in that software resulting in the erasure of those settings.

If you look at their schematics you will find that by selecting network setup and choosing ethernet or wireless you will immediately lose your previous settings. This can only be accomplished by a command given to the memory chip. I suspect that the same command is called to erase the settings of my player upon standby. If it is not, then the memory chip may be permanently damaged!
    Last edited by Paulo Roberto Elias; 11-29-2011 at 11:16 AM.

Bronze Member
    Level completed: 57%, Points required for next Level: 131
    Overall activity: 18.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Xtreme View Post
    I made this topic because I hope Philips dev team will solve these issues asap.
    05. When I insert a DVD movie and power OFF the player. And then power on, the player will automatically load/start reading the disc and very often hangs on the movie menus. This happens with many different movies/series. Please make an option to the settings to disable the auto playback.
    I second this. While I am all for automation this is clearly a feature implemented by an engineer that did not think things thru. It takes long enough to power up the BDP without having to wait for the disc to start as well so it can be removed. The lack of the feature to disable auto play when powered on is quite annoying and should not be too hard to fix.

An "ancient" Nintendo Wii can even let you remove the disc when the unit is in standby without leaving standby. That is quite useful so please, when you add the option to disable auto play when powered on, please also look into the possibility to use the eject button without powering the unit on.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast