Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  • Topic Tools
  • Display
  • Bookmark and Share
    Bronze Member
    Level completed: 64%, Points required for next Level: 110
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    1 year registered1000 Experience PointsNew Achievement!

Level
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by sngbcn View Post
    I agree that Warner is not likely to have any PC O/S play back its contents without content protection but HDCP is not the only one. I would say that unless stated somewhere (like the FAQ from Cyberlink PowerDVD I quoted before) that HDCP support is required, it is not used by the application.

That's why my suggestion is to test with a satellite pay-tv HD channel because those contents will probably be protected with HDCP.
    Good idea. Unfortunately I don't have any pay-tv to do this test. But regarding to this article iTunes HDCP (and a few more you can find on their support site) it looks like Apple is using HDCP to protect their hd movies. All I can say is, that it digital sound passthrough for hd movies definitely works

In Germany we have HD+ for watching some channels in hd quality. This is similar to pay-tv but I don't know if they are using hdcp. Couldn't find any information about that but these are the channels that support digital sound passthrough

Bronze Member
    Level completed: 57%, Points required for next Level: 131
    Overall activity: 18.0%
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience PointsNew Achievement!Veteran

Level
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Toengel View Post
    ...connection with analogue is not a solution. Even if you play a DVD with the BDP (which only have 5.1 DD or DTS) the passthrough of DD or DTS do NOT work. Only PCM 2.0 is outputted...
    The original post only mentions the BDP as not beeing able to passthrough sound, not the Apple TV.

Why would my suggestion not be a solution for him? The built-in 7.1 decoder of his BPD would give him 5.1 with his av-receiver? What I suggest skips the passthrough problems as the BPD decodes the multichannel sound and outputs 5.1 with an analogue signal that his receiver can work with. He will need several RCA-cables, but it will work.
    Last edited by Andreas; 05-17-2011 at 01:27 PM.

Diamond Member
    Level completed: 38%, Points required for next Level: 879
    Overall activity: 100.0%
    Achievements:
    Recommendation Second ClassTagger First ClassOverdrive1000 Experience PointsNew Achievement!
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level
    Thanks
    Hi,

I have the same problem with my BDP9600. And I don't want to connect my BDP via analogue cable to my AVR. It should work via the passthrough way. Sure, this will work, but it is only a workaround - not a solution.

Toengel@Alex

Bronze Member
    Level completed: 64%, Points required for next Level: 110
    Achievements:
    1 year registered1000 Experience PointsNew Achievement!

Level
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Andreas View Post
    Why would my suggestion not be a solution for him? The built-in 7.1 decoder of his BPD would give him 5.1 with his av-receiver?
    You are right. Currently this is the best workaround if you wanna have all channels decoded to an analog signal. Much better than sending a stereo down mix to the tv and decode it again to a surround sound. But in spite of everything it is still a bad solution cause you cannot compare the quality of a down mixed analog surround sound with the quality of DTS. It is like driving a ferrari with an engine of a fiat

And if you pay so much money for high-end components (TV, Bluray, Surround Sound) than you really wanna enjoy your movie. A good film is nothing without a good sound and you really don't wanna miss that or bother yourself by switching cables all the time if there is an official way to make the components work together

Bronze Member
    Level completed: 57%, Points required for next Level: 131
    Overall activity: 18.0%
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience PointsNew Achievement!Veteran

Level
    Thanks
    With all due respect, I think you miss one crucial element. Yes, the sound has a digital source, but before the soundwaves reach your ears they are amplified but what most probably is an analogue amplifier and sent to a set of analogue speakers. Even so called digital amplifiers send out an amplified analogue signal to the speakers. Speakers labeled digital are mostly victims of marketing departments and less knowleable customers. At best, it means they have increased dynamic range. Speakers are analogue, so you cannot get a pure digital signal into your ears. Wikipedia has some info on why we have no real digital speakers in our homes:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Loudspeaker

So, that digital sound track needs to be converted to an analogue signal and why not do that with the unit best suited for the job? In theory, the later in the chain, the better - but theory is not always a mirror of reality. As the original poster does not have a modern enought AV-receiver to do the HD sound decoding, his BPD is better off doing it. Why? because it is the only component in his setup that can. Saying this is like a Ferrari with a Fiat engine means:
    1. The BDP is crap at D/A converting. While it may not be the best out there, it sure beats the original poster's AV receiver as that cannot work with HD sound at all. Decoding the DTS-MA or Dolby TrueHD (which are 7.1) to analogue 5.1 involves downmixing two channels, but it does not mean the DTS/DD sound quality is lost.

2. The cabels used are crap.
    Get some mid priced cables to start with.

3. The AV receiver is high-end and has one of the best D/A converters on the market.

I would appreciate if either Toengel, anduril or anyone else could explain why it is bad to somewhere in the chain have analogue signals as the speakers are analogue. Claiming it is bad is not the same as explaining why.

Most unlikely to match such a unit with a BDP and not a real high, end unit (sorry Philips but the BPD8000 is not high-end).

There are donwsides to doing like I suggest:
    1. You need six RCA cables instead of one digital cable.
    2. Analogue signals are more sensitive to cable quality, meaning you wil need better cables.

Preferring a downmixed 2 channel digital signal that is then decoded back into some surround format is only for the "tech nerd" that prefers to tell his friends the sound is all digital (which he believes is best) rather than the one who actually wants things to sound good. I rather keep my Rotel 10-series AV receiver with my Dynaudio multi channel speaker setup than replace it with a cheap all-in-one 7.1 system. Come to think of it, I would rather prefer a really good 2 channel audio system over most all-in-one-home-theatre-systems. Sorry for pointing that out.

There are two ways of doing this:
    1. Use the BDP to convert the HD sound to analogue 5.1.
    2. Buy a new AV-recevier that either has HDMI inputs or ar at least more digital inputs.

Call them official, workarounds unacceptable solutions or what ever you may like, but these are the options. I got the BDP8000 myself for its onboard D/a converter, which I thought I needed as my Rotel AV-receiver only decodes DTS-ES/DD-EX but it has analogue 7.1 (actually 7.2) inputs. I was suprises to learn that when I select a DTS-MA soundtrack off a Blu-Ray the amplifier lights up the DTS logo and decodes the sound to 5.1, which is my speaker set-up. The same goes for DD TrueHD. The signal is sent via coax as I luckily have plenty of digital inputs on my AV-receiver. The day that I feel I need 7.1, I only need to start feeding my AV receiver with analogue 7.1 and buy an extra pair of speakers and a two channel power amplifier.

If only the original poster had one more digital input, it would work the same for him.

Diamond Member
    Achievements:
    Recommendation Second ClassTagger First ClassOverdrive1000 Experience PointsNew Achievement!
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level
    Thanks
    Hi,

why should I install additional cables (and they should be of high quality), if all necessary cables are already present (BDP -> HDMI -> TV -> SPDIF -> AVR) - and technically it should work...

Toengel@Alex

Diamond Member
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level
    Thanks
    Hi,

I need to "reopen" this thread...

As stated here (http://www.supportforum.philips.com/...mware-(TV550R1)) passthrough of Dolby Digital should work. But IT DOES NOT! I only get a PCM 2.0 stream from my BDP9600 -> HDMI -> 58PFL9955 -> SPDIF -> Receiver.

Toengel@Alex

Level completed: 83%, Points required for next Level: 35
    Achievements:
    3 months registered500 Experience PointsNew Achievement!

Level
    Thanks
    I have found a no of people having issue with the HDCP support of the apple tv, here are some solution that you all can try out.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12