Bronze Member
    Level completed: 59%, Points required for next Level: 41
    Overall activity: 33.0%
    Achievements:
    New Achievement!Tagger Second Class31 days registered250 Experience Points

Level
    Thanks

Unhappy Unhappy owner

I have 55PFL6188S TV and have owned it since end of 2013. I am now so unhappy that I register with this forum to express my views.

I am running the latest FW for this TV and it rebooted 4 times last night, (not experienced this before). I was only watching TV on the DVB-S2 tuner - even changing channels did not help. Is there any way to generate a "crashdump" and save this to USB key to send to Philips? If the TV is crashing then a stack dump should help engineers fix problem?

What is still wrong for me :

1) PNM - I hate this feature. I turn it off, but TV picture very jerky. Very simple to demonstrate - just tune to Bloomberg or CNBC on ASTRA1/2 satellite and watch ticker scroll across screen. It will jerk and shudder. Guaranteed.

2) Subtitles - the color often goes wrong when watching subtitles. I thought it was when subtitles took 3 lines on screen, but it happens worse on satellite channels. Can reproduce on DVB-T channels too. The text goes "multicolor" (think of oil slick on water for rainbow colors). It makes text very hard to read! Happens on UK and German channels.

3) Slow startup. New FW means TV picture appears quicker, BUT remote control does not do anything for >20 seconds. If you turn TV on in morning and it is loud from last night you cannot change volume for a long time. TV is getting remote control signal as red LED flashes.

4) Satellite setup - I try to setup 3 satellites (ASTRA1, ASTRA2 and HOTBIRD) on Disecq switch. TV finds 1000s of channels, but EPG is very short and only shows few channels. I think TV gets upset if LNB1 is empty.

5) Satellite time. Switching between channels on DVB-S causes time to drift. How can time be different on TV if you use DVB-S tuner compared to DVB-T tuner? I think TV gets confused between GMT and CET time zones. When time is wrong this upsets EPG...

6) Can't stop TV opening USB menu when you turn it on. I leave USB card reader plugged in and when TV turns on it tries to show file list on USB key. I don't want to see this! TV says "scanning for USB devices", but is unresponsive to EXIT button.

7) Files disappear when browsing directory on USB device. Sometimes no folders/files are found, other times only some files appear. What is odd is that initially all files appear on TV, but hours later some have disappeared! Reboot fixes this.

8) MP4 file playing - TV forgets where you were when playing file off media. Eg: I watch film for 30 minutes, then switch to TV to watch news. I switch back to USB and TV starts from 00:00 again - it takes long time to fast forward to right place again. Need to improve UI here.

9) Inconsistent use of EXIT and 'back arrow' buttons. Try Options -> 'channel info'. EXIT button does not work here. Problem also with "Smart TV", but that feature is so bad I do not use it.

10) Country setup - I tune into ASTRA1 satellite and TV asks me if I want to use German/Austria/Swiss/Lux TV channel lists. Very nice feature. Try same on ASTRA2 and you get no such channel lists - do you not care about UK and Ireland customers?

11) Channel logos - missing quite a few now. Can this be updated please? Any way I can do this manually? Lots of UK channels (BBC and ITV) have no logo. Eg: TV shows "CBeebies" logo but no logo for "Cbeebies HD". Can TV pick closest match?

I feel I have wasted my money on this TV. For price (>1000 Euros) I am very sad with it. It looks good, but is hard to live with.

Level completed: 43%, Points required for next Level: 464
    Overall activity: 99.9%
    Achievements:
    New Achievement!Overdrive10000 Experience Points1 year registered
    Level
    Thanks
    Hi 55inch.

Thank you for your feedback.

We do have dedicated software threads in this forum for feedback purposes as well. I would very much appreciate it if you would report your software issues there.

Quote Originally Posted by 55inch View Post
    I have 55PFL6188S TV and have owned it since end of 2013. I am now so unhappy that I register with this forum to express my views.

I am running the latest FW for this TV and it rebooted 4 times last night, (not experienced this before). I was only watching TV on the DVB-S2 tuner - even changing channels did not help. Is there any way to generate a "crashdump" and save this to USB key to send to Philips? If the TV is crashing then a stack dump should help engineers fix problem?
    There is a way to do this, but it requires that the issues are reported in the software thread and the developers request this information. Until that point the application to retrieve a debug log will not be provided.

What is still wrong for me :

1) PNM - I hate this feature. I turn it off, but TV picture very jerky. Very simple to demonstrate - just tune to Bloomberg or CNBC on ASTRA1/2 satellite and watch ticker scroll across screen. It will jerk and shudder. Guaranteed.

2) Subtitles - the color often goes wrong when watching subtitles. I thought it was when subtitles took 3 lines on screen, but it happens worse on satellite channels. Can reproduce on DVB-T channels too. The text goes "multicolor" (think of oil slick on water for rainbow colors). It makes text very hard to read! Happens on UK and German channels.

3) Slow startup. New FW means TV picture appears quicker, BUT remote control does not do anything for >20 seconds. If you turn TV on in morning and it is loud from last night you cannot change volume for a long time. TV is getting remote control signal as red LED flashes.
    4) Satellite setup - I try to setup 3 satellites (ASTRA1, ASTRA2 and HOTBIRD) on Disecq switch. TV finds 1000s of channels, but EPG is very short and only shows few channels. I think TV gets upset if LNB1 is empty.
    Some countries do not have IP-EPG support for satellite channels. Please let me know which country you are in, and if you are using Broadcast EPG or IP-EPG.

5) Satellite time. Switching between channels on DVB-S causes time to drift. How can time be different on TV if you use DVB-S tuner compared to DVB-T tuner? I think TV gets confused between GMT and CET time zones. When time is wrong this upsets EPG...
    Some providers force the TV time and date to be adjusted via broadcast. This could be the case if the correct country has not been selected during channel installation. Please check which country the channels are installed as.

6) Can't stop TV opening USB menu when you turn it on. I leave USB card reader plugged in and when TV turns on it tries to show file list on USB key. I don't want to see this! TV says "scanning for USB devices", but is unresponsive to EXIT button.
    If a connected USB devices has not been formatted for USB recording, then the TV will automatically start up on USB source is one is connected. This is a feature and not a bug. While the TV scans the device for files it may not respond to remote control commands.
    If you do not wish for the TV to start on USB source, the USB device needs to be removed.

7) Files disappear when browsing directory on USB device. Sometimes no folders/files are found, other times only some files appear. What is odd is that initially all files appear on TV, but hours later some have disappeared! Reboot fixes this.
    8) MP4 file playing - TV forgets where you were when playing file off media. Eg: I watch film for 30 minutes, then switch to TV to watch news. I switch back to USB and TV starts from 00:00 again - it takes long time to fast forward to right place again. Need to improve UI here.
    The TV will not retain playback information/positioning between sources. This is a TV limitation.

9) Inconsistent use of EXIT and 'back arrow' buttons. Try Options -> 'channel info'. EXIT button does not work here. Problem also with "Smart TV", but that feature is so bad I do not use it.

10) Country setup - I tune into ASTRA1 satellite and TV asks me if I want to use German/Austria/Swiss/Lux TV channel lists. Very nice feature. Try same on ASTRA2 and you get no such channel lists - do you not care about UK and Ireland customers?
    11) Channel logos - missing quite a few now. Can this be updated please? Any way I can do this manually? Lots of UK channels (BBC and ITV) have no logo. Eg: TV shows "CBeebies" logo but no logo for "Cbeebies HD". Can TV pick closest match?
    The issue with channel logos are currently being investigated. A work around would be to rename the HD channels to the original channel name. So "CBeebies HD" -> "CBeebies".

I feel I have wasted my money on this TV. For price (>1000 Euros) I am very sad with it. It looks good, but is hard to live with.

Please do report all points I have not commented on or that is software related in the either the Experience or Technical feedback threads.

Thank you.
    Ina
    Forum Mod

Bronze Member
    Achievements:

Level
    Thanks
    Thank you for responding Ina - I try to find right thread for software / techincal responses soon.

Quick response to your points - TV does not go on internet, so I only use broadcaster EPG. TV setup for UK use.

Logo problem is quite bad for UK viewers. Not only are most BBC HD channels missing, but quite a few of Freeview SD channels are missing too - try Pick, QVC, Yesterday, Drama, 5*, 5 USA, QUEST, 4seven, movies4men, BTSport1, CITV and RT. These channels exist for long time now. I thought logo was requirement to get "Freeview HD" approval?

Can you explain "Clock - Auto Clock Mode - Country specific" setting please? Built-in help no good.

TV could store time information for playback - this only software limitation and not hardware. Only need 3 bytes of storage to remember current HH:MM:SS in media player?

USB play on startup - when TV crashes and autoreboots I have to get up to remove SD card? TV already makes exception for special format storage devices, can it not make execption to ignore any new device USB messages within first 30 seconds after powerup?

I have factory reset TV and can reproduce some pretty bad problems. I log these soon in right area.

Bronze Member
    Achievements:

Level
    Thanks
    Forgot to also ask - is there a way to get screenshot of TV picture onto USB device?
    I want to take picture of TV showing CBeebies program "Balamory" as containing strong language and being only suitable for age 18+. The program is actually written for children < age 7. TV has shown me some categories that I never knew existed!