Bronze Member
    Level completed: 11%, Points required for next Level: 268
    Overall activity: 18.0%
    Achievements:
    New Achievement!1 year registered1000 Experience Points

Level
    Thanks

Phillips wifi media Connect

I regret I have not done my weekly dip into the forum for some time. I would appreciate a reply about my problem with Phillips wifi media connect as I cannot see any similar problems on the forum. We are having to use this for streaming TV nowadays as our satellite has done a runner. Earlier this year I did receive some excellent help from Holland about wifi operation but I was told the other day that Phillips do not in fact support wifi! Strange as I was using the facility whilst being informed.
    Nevertheless I have a problem.
    Set details are 40PFL 9705 LED VNIM 1143 02727. TV is being picked up by my PC with MS 7 64 bit Ultimate software. Virus checker is AVG14 which, either on or off, doesn't seem to interfere with our viewing. Wifi signal is strong thru an Orange Live Box that has been recently upgraded as have all the cables etc. Using say FilmOn as a benchmark on the TV we get an excellent SD and HD picture. Now here's the rub. After 1 to 2 hours viewing the picture will drop out without warning and we get "searching for TV on the network" as a default. Rebooting and resetting gives us the same situation, 1 to 2 hours then no picture. Have done all the usual checks including speaking direct to FilmOn who like Phillips whizz kids are very helpful. They tested our signal and broadband which although copper never drops below 4. Orange have also tested our wifi gratis and indicate that with only 3 metres uninterrupted distance it was as good as any they had seen.
    Has anyone any ideas short of running a very expensive cable to test the transmission that way?

Level completed: 76%, Points required for next Level: 193
    Overall activity: 99.9%
    Achievements:
    New Achievement!Overdrive10000 Experience Points1 year registered
    Level
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by malcolm4664 View Post
    I regret I have not done my weekly dip into the forum for some time. I would appreciate a reply about my problem with Phillips wifi media connect as I cannot see any similar problems on the forum. We are having to use this for streaming TV nowadays as our satellite has done a runner. Earlier this year I did receive some excellent help from Holland about wifi operation but I was told the other day that Phillips do not in fact support wifi! Strange as I was using the facility whilst being informed.
    Nevertheless I have a problem.
    Set details are 40PFL 9705 LED VNIM 1143 02727. TV is being picked up by my PC with MS 7 64 bit Ultimate software. Virus checker is AVG14 which, either on or off, doesn't seem to interfere with our viewing. Wifi signal is strong thru an Orange Live Box that has been recently upgraded as have all the cables etc. Using say FilmOn as a benchmark on the TV we get an excellent SD and HD picture. Now here's the rub. After 1 to 2 hours viewing the picture will drop out without warning and we get "searching for TV on the network" as a default. Rebooting and resetting gives us the same situation, 1 to 2 hours then no picture. Have done all the usual checks including speaking direct to FilmOn who like Phillips whizz kids are very helpful. They tested our signal and broadband which although copper never drops below 4. Orange have also tested our wifi gratis and indicate that with only 3 metres uninterrupted distance it was as good as any they had seen.
    Has anyone any ideas short of running a very expensive cable to test the transmission that way?

Hi malcolm4664,

Does this happen with a very regular interval, or anywhere between 1 to 2 hours?

If it was roughly 1 hour, 1.5 hours, or 2 hours I would suspect that the router refresh could be the culprit.
    The TV may be sensitive to the router refreshing the connection. Some internet providers have a set refresh on their routers to avoid high bandwidth use.

Do you have any issues while streaming media over network in a different way? IN NetTV or from a media server?

Best regards,
    Ina
    Forum Mod

Bronze Member
    Achievements:

Level
    Thanks

philips wifi media connect

Quote Originally Posted by Philips - Ina View Post
    Hi malcolm4664,

Does this happen with a very regular interval, or anywhere between 1 to 2 hours?

If it was roughly 1 hour, 1.5 hours, or 2 hours I would suspect that the router refresh could be the culprit.
    The TV may be sensitive to the router refreshing the connection. Some internet providers have a set refresh on their routers to avoid high bandwidth use.

Do you have any issues while streaming media over network in a different way? IN NetTV or from a media server?

Best regards,
    Ina
    Thank you Ina for the suggestions. I think you hit the nail on the head as I access MotoGP races direct and never have a problem on their 1 hour transmissions.. You are absolutely right, it is spot on 1, 1.5 0r 2 hours. Our router is an Orange LiveBox. This one is their latest and I think that we never had this problem with the earlier model. Looking at the information on the LiveBox I can see no mention of adjusting the refresh rate so I assume that I will have to contact Orange direct. Unless you have a demon tweek of your own ?. Any suggestions are welcome. Again thanks for the time you have spent trying to help me, it is appreciated.
    Regards
    Malcolm

Level completed: 76%, Points required for next Level: 193
    Overall activity: 99.9%
    Achievements:
    New Achievement!Overdrive10000 Experience Points1 year registered
    Level
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by malcolm4664 View Post
    Thank you Ina for the suggestions. I think you hit the nail on the head as I access MotoGP races direct and never have a problem on their 1 hour transmissions.. You are absolutely right, it is spot on 1, 1.5 0r 2 hours. Our router is an Orange LiveBox. This one is their latest and I think that we never had this problem with the earlier model. Looking at the information on the LiveBox I can see no mention of adjusting the refresh rate so I assume that I will have to contact Orange direct. Unless you have a demon tweek of your own ?. Any suggestions are welcome. Again thanks for the time you have spent trying to help me, it is appreciated.
    Regards
    Malcolm

Hi Malcolm,

Unfortunately I don't have any tricks up my sleeve on this one. Refresh is not something providers are often willing to discuss openly and most likely for good reason. I have not encountered the issue on high end routers before and it usually seems to be an issue on the cheaper end "free" provider routers.

But I have not personally had the pleasure to encounter it myself yet. I have been told that the option is not always present in the router admin configurations, but needs to be remotely changed by the provider in these cases. However, as I do not have first hand experience with this I can't say how best to approach it.

If any other users have experience with router refresh, please feel free to share your knowledge.

Best regards,
    Ina
    Forum Mod

Bronze Member
    Achievements:

Level
    Thanks
    Hi Ina. Just an update on my refresh problems on Media Connect. Had a chat with Orange techy who, although at first reluctant to accept that my problem was due to my new Live Box, came up with a possible fix. He found that my Orange LiveBox router was set at 6 which would suit most users except anyone accessing FilmOn. He turned it up to maximum 12 and we agreed to trial this for a few days and then look at replacing the router. Result for the last two days is we have had not only a flicker free SD picture but also a much improved HD picture. In addition no loss of picture for short periods. It still loses the picture but this is spot on every three hours. No less, no more. We are going to log this for the day or three and then have another conflab with Orange techy. Couple of tips for others is 1. You must reboot your computer after doing this alteration and 2. The PC cache must be cleared every time you run your computer.3 Operates better on Firefox and Chrome. Late news, ran for 3.5 hours this am. This might be due to higher broadband speed as the schools are on holiday!!
    Regards
    \malcolm

6. The Following User Says Thank You to malcolm4664 For This Useful Post:

Philips - Ina (07-01-2014)