Bronze Member
    Level completed: 41%, Points required for next Level: 59
    Overall activity: 72.0%
    Achievements:
    New Achievement!7 days registered

Level
    Thanks

No sound from android apps,. 48pfs8109

Anyone else having the same problem or have i missed something?!
    Can't get any sound from google music and a cpl of other apps i have tried (haven't tried so many yet).
    The standard philips apps works, for example netflix (haven't tried them all yet).

Diamond Member
    Level completed: 73%, Points required for next Level: 407
    Overall activity: 100.0%
    Achievements:
    Recommendation Second ClassTagger First ClassOverdrive1000 Experience PointsNew Achievement!
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level
    Thanks
    Hi,

you have already a 8109? Where did you bought it?

Toengel@Alex

Bronze Member
    Achievements:

Level
    Thanks
    Yep, preordered it 3 june, got it monday 23.
    Bought it from elgiganten.se (an electronic supermarket here in the nordics).

Silver Member
    Level completed: 22%, Points required for next Level: 156
    Overall activity: 50.0%
    Achievements:
    New Achievement!1 year registered1000 Experience Points

Level
    Thanks
    Good news to know that 8xx9 series exist yet...
    You're probably one of the very first owner !

Would you mind giving us your first feeling about the 8109 TV (in a specific post) ?

Thank you very much !

Bronze Member
    Level completed: 45%, Points required for next Level: 55
    Overall activity: 16.0%
    Achievements:
    New Achievement!250 Experience Points3 months registered

Level
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by zeta View Post
    Anyone else having the same problem or have i missed something?!
    Can't get any sound from google music and a cpl of other apps i have tried (haven't tried so many yet).
    The standard philips apps works, for example netflix (haven't tried them all yet).
    I'll try during the weekend and let you know if I have the same problems. For the moment I've been busy exploring all the other functionalities for a couple of days. So far I have had problems with metallic sound and when external harddrive is connected there is lagging in the App screen.

Bronze Member
    Achievements:

Level
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Kenlee View Post
    I'll try during the weekend and let you know if I have the same problems. For the moment I've been busy exploring all the other functionalities for a couple of days. So far I have had problems with metallic sound and when external harddrive is connected there is lagging in the App screen.
    Sounds good!
    Hmm.. i haven't noticed any metallic sound yet but my only source for a TV-signal is atm my IPTV-box and that works fine, i have a external harddrive plugged in but i haven't noticed any lag with it... Have to try with and without it this weekend, i'll let you know.

About the soundproblem, there is sound through the chrome browser so it's not all dead in the android part of the TV...

Bronze Member
    Achievements:

Level
    Thanks
    To zeta: I confirm that I do NOT have any sound for the Play Music, just like you. Didn’t try so many other apps but at least for YouTube via Chrome Browser there is sound.

And what comes for the rest of this Android Powered set…

I’ll start with ONE credit to Philips for this set. Compare to my earlier set (a really AWFUL example that was returned and refunded) the menus are really snappy ! There is definitely enough power under the hood in this set compared to my earlier experience with Philips TV’s.

So to the downsides…

Same “buggy” software as for the other product lines unfortunately.

I have HUGE problems with the sound, metallic, choppy, bawling. All these randomly and I haven’t been able to put my finger on the source cause for them.
    Picture is randomly jerky and a lot of disturbances when watching DVB broadcasts via the internal turner. When I use my digital set top box for watching DVB broadcasts the picture is more stable.

Motion control, is this a joke! I haven’t even been able to activate it and yes the camera is on. Is my palm of such shape/color/size that the set doesn’t understand it…

Ambilight+HUE, are you kidding! My set finds the HUE bridge but not the lights, “bridge connected but no lights linked”. What puzzles me though is that my lights DO in fact follow the Ambilight, however VEEEEERY SLOOOOOW, let’s say at least with a 15 sec delay if not more. And yes, HUE bridge updated to latest firmware. If this wasn’t enough the set picture freezes after a while EVERY SINGLE time when the Ambilight+HUE function is activated. There is sound but a picture freeze on the screen. Set cannot be turned off at all with the remote so as Philips often states “unplug the power cord” is the only way and you’re good to go again, for a while…

Lounge light, what happened here ? There are three color options available in the menu and unfortunately that is a permanent one color showing when activated. Hey Philips, where is the Dynamic functionality ? And do I even dear to mention how my HUE set reacts with Lounge light, NOT AT ALL ! I have a permanent plain white color on my lights that do not even match what is configured under Lounge light.

Switch the TV Off, what ? User Manual states “press the Joystick on the back and that the red indicator light goes off”. Unfortunately this does not either work on my set, I have never succeeded in getting this mode on despite several attempts.

And here’s a really good laugh. I live in Finland but my mother tongue is Swedish so I obviously want to choose the menu language according to my mother tongue. Not possible ! If I choose menu language to Swedish in the initial setup process the set forces me to use Sweden as my country of residence. Seriously Philips ? I never had these kind of problems with my earlier products, I’ve always been able to choose freely between these two mentioned.

As a summary, minimum 30 times of unplugging of power cord, factory restore process, initial setup process, clearing of memory, etc. This shortly what I did experience during this weekend with my all BRAND NEW Android Powered TV high end product of year 2014 with a nice price tag.

Really not impressed so far!

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Kenlee For This Useful Post:

ggpublic (07-03-2014),LR92F (06-30-2014),westpaket (06-30-2014)

Silver Member
    Level completed: 22%, Points required for next Level: 156
    Overall activity: 50.0%
    Achievements:
    New Achievement!1 year registered1000 Experience Points

Level
    Thanks

Angry

As a summary, minimum 30 times of unplugging of power cord, factory restore process, initial setup process, clearing of memory, etc. This shortly what I did experience during this weekend with my all BRAND NEW Android Powered TV high end product of year 2014 with a nice price tag.

Really not impressed so far!
    Oh no ...
    The story of catastrophic previous Philips Smart TV series is repeating again. What a disappointment !
    Picture when watching DVB broadcast via the internal tuner seems very poor also ... that's really impossible to understand

Thanks Kenlee for your feedback, hope things are going to be solved very quickly, in the next days...
    Last edited by LR92F; 07-01-2014 at 10:22 AM.

Bronze Member
    Achievements:

Level
    Thanks
    Kenlee: Same “buggy” software as for the other product lines unfortunately.

Motion control is one of the things that works pretty nice for me but I find the point and click easier but for some volume change and so on it's pretty nice to have the gesture control.

And I haven't got my hue bridge yet so I can't tell you how my TV works with it, I'll report that when I have tried it out.

Dim problems (think it's a "empty" menu popping up) infront of the TV-picture, had that problem 3-5 times.. source change solves that but I think Philips needs to put some effort in a software update ASAP.
    If they handle their cards right i belive this could be a really nice TV.

Still haven't used my antenna yet so I'll have to get back on that source.

Level completed: 33%, Points required for next Level: 100
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:
    New Achievement!

Level
    Thanks
    Wow, I was ready to order a 8109, reading at kenlee's feedbacks makes me scared. Hope Philips is working on an update.
    One of the appealing thing to me was the ambilight x4, as I want to wall mount the device.
    Can anyone tell me what is the minimum distance from the wall I can expect ? (I would not want to mount a 13mm depth tv with a 50mm hole between my wall and the back of my TV)
    Thanks for your help

Level completed: 30%, Points required for next Level: 631
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    New Achievement!Overdrive10000 Experience Points1 year registered
    Level
    Thanks
    Hi everyone!

Thank you very much for your constructive and informative feedback about our new Android TVs!

All of your feedback have been passed directly to development. Some issues are already know to us, but others will be looked into. If development has any further questions or needs to follow up on anything, I will get back to you for these.
    Please feel free to continue to let us know about your experience, be it positive or negative. As with all our TV models, there will of course be software upgrades taking your feedback into consideration.

Best regards,
    Ina
    Forum Mod

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Philips - Ina For This Useful Post:

Toengel (07-03-2014)

Bronze Member
    Achievements:

Level
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Philips - Ina View Post
    As with all our TV models, there will of course be software upgrades taking your feedback into consideration.
    So when can we expect an update for this specific Android Powered TV ?
    I have two weeks to decided if I'll return my "buggy" purchase to the seller and have a refund for it exactly as I did with my earlier set. And I'll promise you, it will definitely be my last Philips ever!

Bronze Member
    Achievements:

Level
    Thanks
    Same here... Choosed this tv bc I haven't had any problems with my other three philips tv and it sounded very nice with android.. I have about the same time before I need to send it back.can't have this amount of bugs for this amount of money.

Bronze Member
    Achievements:

Level
    Thanks
    I'll just keep on reporting is this thread as Ina doesn't seem to get a new thread in the feedback section for some reason...

So, time again to give, as Philips states it, “constructive and informative feedback”.

Switch the TV off. I’ve managed to get this mode on but it does not work as the manual states. To switch off via the joystick on the back the set has to really be on! However the red indicator light will not show any indications on this state as it should, it just keeps glowing red as usual, similar to when the stand-by mode with the remote is activated. So, the user cannot really tell which mode is on before trying both remote & joystick on back, because to put the set back on again from “power off” mode the joystick has to be used as the set will not respond to the remote control in this “power off” state.

Lounge light. Depending on how the set feels on a particular date, it can take up to 3 button presses on the remote to get lounge light activated, and then again to switch the lounge light off, the button on the remote will not work as the manual states. If this button is pressed for a few seconds the lounge light color just changes instead off switching the lounge light off as it should. To switch the lounge light off the user has to circle through all the available color options until the circle is closed. So, depending on in which step in the circle the user is, it will either require 4 button presses or just one button press to switch the lounge light off.

Philips TV Remote App in lounge light+HUE ? In the lounge light menu there is an option stating TV Remote App and I do not simply understand this. What is this option for ? I do have the new Philips TV Remote app installed in my mobile but there are no such options that I could even configure lounge light+HUE with it.

Common Interface Slot. I have two CAM with smartcards installed (CI+ & CI), one with higher viewing priority than the other one. According to the manual the card with the higher viewing priority should be inserted in slot 1 as I also have. Randomly I have an error with “no access” for CAM 2 (CI) and sometimes the CAM in slot 2 is not even recognized. Doesn’t matter if I switch the modules in the slots, the same will occur even then randomly. Which brings me to the following…

DVB recordings: Not possible to record a “free from fee” HD broadcast and watch another channel that I’m paying for! In fact I do not simply understand Philips policy regarding DVB recordings. Most digital set top boxes on the market today can very well manage and record DVB broadcasts as long as the (CI+ or CI) modules are inserted and used on the same equipment for watching. Most providers nowadays even REQUIRE a smartcard for DVB broadcasts even if they are completely “free from fee”. Basically if Philips sticks with this policy regarding the recording restrictions the recording option at least here in Finland will eventually fade out to be something completely useless that the customer still have to pay for!

And yes the same problems with sound and picture as earlier reported just continues… Not even the basic functionality in a product like this is possible, namely TO WATCH TV !
    I’m most certain that all this is just software related issues! Exactly as I told the Service guy when he came to change the mainboard on my last set (47PFL7108) that was returned due to… surprise, surprise, software related issues!

So Philips, where is the update that makes this Android Powered set a usable TV ?
    Last edited by Kenlee; 07-07-2014 at 08:36 AM.

Bronze Member
    Achievements:

Level
    Thanks
    I'll just keep on reporting is this thread as Ina doesn't seem to get a new thread in the feedback section for some reason...

I do have the new Philips TV Remote app installed in my mobile ?

What kind of phone do you have?
    I can't find the new Tv Remote App in play.google.com here in sweden...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast