Thanks

Question TV gone evil? (Problem #1)

A picture speaks 1000 words...
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	TVprob1.jpg 
Views:	96 
Size:	658.7 KB 
ID:	2649

Quiz : How many things can you see that is wrong with this picture?
    Answer : 3

a) Classification is very wrong!
    b) No logo for channel
    c) First character of classification message is always missing

Yes I have factory reset TV, but problem comes back. Happens on other channels too.

Bronze Member
    Level completed: 20%, Points required for next Level: 80
    Overall activity: 13.0%
    Achievements:
    New Achievement!Tagger Second Class31 days registered250 Experience Points

Level
    Thanks

Question TV subtitiles have mind of their own (Problem #2)

More (poor quality) pictures:

First I thought TV has problem with 3 lines of subtitles, as picture below shows:

Name:	TVprob2a.jpg 
Views:	57 
Size:	747.2 KB 
ID:	2650
    The top line of text is bad, but next 2 lines are OK.

But then I can also see problem on 2 lines of subtitles:

Name:	TVprob2b.jpg 
Views:	40 
Size:	799.0 KB 
ID:	2651
    Both lines of text are bad. Problem also seen on 1 line of subtitle.

The text becomes hard to read as it looks like every pixel of subtitle text has a different color. These pictures were taken via DVB-S source (Channel 5, 10964H, 28E). Problem also happens on DVB-T source. Problem also seen on German channels on DVB-S, ASTRA1.

I would be very grateful if other Philips TV owners could test subtitles on their TV and see if problem occurs - give it a few minutes of viewing.

Bronze Member
    Level completed: 57%, Points required for next Level: 43
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    3 months registeredNew Achievement!500 Experience Points

Level
    Thanks
    Can you state the model of your set please.

Kr,
    Evil

Bronze Member
    Achievements:

Level
    Thanks
    Model is 55PFL6188S. TV location set to UK so no IP-EPG for me...

Another example snapshot showing problem (DVB-T2):

Name:	TVprob1b.jpg 
Views:	43 
Size:	813.1 KB 
ID:	2652

Sometimes the message shown makes no sense at all, as per this DVB-S screenshot:

Name:	TVprob1c.jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	927.8 KB 
ID:	2653
    The CBeebiesHD channel is on ASTRA2, freq=11023H. This should allow most European owners to test for similar behavior.

Level completed: 56%, Points required for next Level: 22
    Achievements:
    New Achievement!

Level
    Thanks
    I too am experiencing the same problem, the only thing that cures it for the moment is switching channels back and forth.

I also get an interesting white picture with black lines through it, once in a while which requires a hard reboot...

I love the way my TV looks and works...when it works that is...next time I will listen to the Phillips sales person which told me to buy a Samsung or LG because their TV's are buggy....

Level completed: 3%, Points required for next Level: 780
    Overall activity: 23.0%
    Achievements:
    New Achievement!Overdrive10000 Experience Points1 year registered
    Level
    Thanks
    Hi 55inch.

I have merged your threads for better overview and understanding as they are both concerning broadcast.

EPG information is provided by the broadcasters and not from the TV manufacturers, as is the case with IP-EPG.
    So if the information in EPG is incorrect, you should contact the content provider.

What's your actual country location, please?

Could you please clarify which broadcast type you are using? DVB-S (Astra) or UK Freeview or both?

Factory reset only resets the picture and sound settings on the TV and does not affect channel installation. To fully reinstall a TV, please select the Reinstall TV option further down the list of General settings.

Best regards,
    Ina
    Forum Mod

Bronze Member
    Achievements:

Level
    Thanks

Stop wasting time!

Quote Originally Posted by Philips - Ina View Post
    Could you please clarify which broadcast type you are using? DVB-S (Astra) or UK Freeview or both?
    In my 2nd post (before threads were merged) I specified "DVB-T2", "DVB-S" and even a satellite frequency. I think this already answers your question.
    EPG information is provided by the broadcasters and not from the TV manufacturers, as is the case with IP-EPG.
    So if the information in EPG is incorrect, you should contact the content provider.
    You think the BBC is getting it wrong? The "adult humour"/"bad language" phrase is not part of TV program description (confirmed by pressing 'Info' on a different manufacturer TV). The TV is adding this phrase and it can't even do this correctly as it drops the first character of the phrase. This is a programming error! I will fix it for you for free if you post the source code....

If the TV cannot decode UK channels correctly then it CANNOT have "FreeView HD" certification! Mind you, logos are also part of FreeView HD spec and TpVision struggle to get that right.
    Factory reset only resets the picture and sound settings on the TV and does not affect channel installation. To fully reinstall a TV, please select the Reinstall TV option further down the list of General settings.

Best regards,
    Ina
    Yes I did a full reset of TV - lose all settings, channels etc. English speakers assume "Factory reset" means 'return TV back to how it came out of the factory'. What is described as "Factory reset" on the TV should really be described as "Restore default picture/sound settings".

So TpVision have not been able to reproduce this fault in 2 weeks? I try and help TpVision, but somehow I feel ignored.
    If there any other UK TpVision TV owners out there - can they check Freeview Channels 70 to 74 and see what is described? Alternatively the Satellite BBC channels can be used by anybody in NW Europe.

Level completed: 56%, Points required for next Level: 22
    Achievements:
    New Achievement!

Level
    Thanks
    I get the same issue, and is not provider based. I am in Romania, provider is RCS-RDS with CAM Card.
    I get it on the premium channels HBO, Cinemax...

On Philips it displays wrong (Living Room TV) and on Samsung it displays correctly (Bedroom TV)...
    I'll take some screen shots soon...

Level completed: 3%, Points required for next Level: 780
    Overall activity: 23.0%
    Achievements:
    New Achievement!Overdrive10000 Experience Points1 year registered
    Level
    Thanks
    Hi 55inch,

Quote Originally Posted by 55inch View Post
    In my 2nd post (before threads were merged) I specified "DVB-T2", "DVB-S" and even a satellite frequency. I think this already answers your question.
    I really do need to know the information I requested to be able to help you further in this. With your wording this was not entirely clear to me, and therefore I asked.

You think the BBC is getting it wrong? The "adult humour"/"bad language" phrase is not part of TV program description (confirmed by pressing 'Info' on a different manufacturer TV). The TV is adding this phrase and it can't even do this correctly as it drops the first character of the phrase. This is a programming error! I will fix it for you for free if you post the source code....
    I don't think anything until I know the details of the circumstances. But the information provided via EPG is not provided by Philips/TP Vision and I sincerely hope the TV is not intelligent enough to make up classifications itself. I would appreciate it if you would allow me to look into this before you reject my attempt.

If the TV cannot decode UK channels correctly then it CANNOT have "FreeView HD" certification! Mind you, logos are also part of FreeView HD spec and TpVision struggle to get that right.
    Is your location in the UK in this case? Please state in which country your TV is installed.

Yes I did a full reset of TV - lose all settings, channels etc. English speakers assume "Factory reset" means 'return TV back to how it came out of the factory'. What is described as "Factory reset" on the TV should really be described as "Restore default picture/sound settings".
    The specifics of Factory reset and Reinstall TV are described clearly in the user manual. Some manufacturers may use other terms, but on Philips TVs these terms have been in use for many years for their functions.

So TpVision have not been able to reproduce this fault in 2 weeks? I try and help TpVision, but somehow I feel ignored.
    If there any other UK TpVision TV owners out there - can they check Freeview Channels 70 to 74 and see what is described? Alternatively the Satellite BBC channels can be used by anybody in NW Europe.
    We have not been able to attempt to reproduce the issue as we do not know the specific circumstances yet. Please let me know your country location.

Best regards
    Ina
    Forum Mod

Bronze Member
    Achievements:

Level
    Thanks

Lots of words, but no action!

Hi 55inch,
    I really do need to know the information I requested to be able to help you further in this. With your wording this was not entirely clear to me, and therefore I asked.
    Sorry, maybe I shouldn't have expected the moderators to understand all technical issues. So, to explain, DVB-T/DVB-T2 is what UK Freeview uses and DVB-S/DVB-S2 is what is used on the ASTRA2 satellite to broadcast UK (and all other European countries) programs. I use both, hence I have a triple-tuner TV.

Is your location in the UK in this case? Please state in which country your TV is installed.
    This really shouldn't matter as satellite broadcasts from ASTRA2 cover most of Europe. If you are based in Belgium / Netherlands then you can definitely receive these channels, and with a good aerial you could receive UK Freeview channels too. The TV is currently set to English / UK, but I do change the language when testing.

The specifics of Factory reset and Reinstall TV are described clearly in the user manual. Some manufacturers may use other terms, but on Philips TVs these terms have been in use for many years for their functions.
    Sorry - really trying not to refer to the '30W on standby power' thread where the user manual was not to be considered definitive! If I say 'factory reset' in the future then please read that as 'reinstall'.

We have not been able to attempt to reproduce the issue as we do not know the specific circumstances yet. Please let me know your country location.
    Why? If this is because you're based in India / China (and therefore can't pick up ASTRA2 satellite at 28.2E) then say so! Otherwise there is no reason why somebody at TpVision can't plug in a 6000 (or higher) 2013 series TV, tune it against the ASTRA2 satellite (and note my other comments in the tech feedback thread about how poor the experience is compared to ASTRA1) and just press 'Info' now and again whilst watching 'CBeebies' on 11023 H. It will eventually go wrong (certainly within a day). It seems to mostly affect Childrens TV programming.

It is really that simple. Finally, to prove it's not just a BBC thing (Picture taken on DVB-T UK Freeview channel 'Channel 5')

Name:	TVprob1d.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	822.7 KB 
ID:	2714

And to show how good the EPG is, if you press INFO when the program should have finished you see this:

Name:	TVprob1e.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	609.9 KB 
ID:	2715
    I think this is as much EPG testing as I want to do right now. Perhaps when 47pfl6008k posts some pictures, he/she can help you out further.
    Last edited by 55inch; 07-27-2014 at 07:29 AM. Reason: Fix broken attachments

Bronze Member
    Achievements:

Level
    Thanks

Regression error?

Ever since I have 'downgraded' to 171.56 the problem has gone away!
    No incorrect program classification on any childrens TV.
    No missing 1st character of phrases (confirmed by seeing phrases when they apply to 18-rated films)
    Logo still missing, but 2 out of 3 isn't bad...