Achievements:
    New Achievement!Overdrive10000 Experience Points1 year registered
    Level
    Thanks

Arrow Experience thread - FW v5.72.2 - for 8xx9 Series - 2014

Hi,

For technical feedback (pos. and neg. points) please post here:
    http://philips.to/1y3vy8k

This thread is more for details and discussions.

IMPORTANT: After upgrading your TV, it is necessary to perform a "cold start". This means that, after the TV is running again (after the update), shut down the TV, wait 1 minute (till all components are shut down), and unplug the TV from the mains (pull power cord) for 2 minutes before starting again.

Changelog:

AND1E_0.5.72.2 (Date published: 2014-07-09)

• Improvement for macroblock in digital channel.
    • Improvement regarding Ambilight Hue performance.
    • Improvement regarding analog zapping performance.
    • Improvement in start-up management.
    • Improvement in Dual CAM use case.
    • Improvement in HTS ARC use case.

AND1E_0.5.60.1 (date published: 2014-06-24)

• Improvement regarding 3D function.
    • Improvement for notification management.
    • Improvement regarding Picture Quality.
    • Translation updates.
    • Major improvement in system stability.
    • Improvement in IP EPG performance.

AND1E_0.5.46.22 (date published: 2014-06-10)

• Fix in no audio/video issue after startup.
    • Improvement in Skype apps.
    • Improvement in DLNA performance.
    • Improvement in IP EPG performance.
    • Improvement in system stability.

AND1E_0.5.46.12
    • Initial SW in production.

The full changelog history can also be found on our support website: www.philips.com/support
    Last edited by Philips - Ina; 07-14-2014 at 09:17 AM. Reason: Adding changelog
    Forum Mod

Level completed: 64%, Points required for next Level: 327
    Overall activity: 99.9%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks
    Hi all.

Some additional questions have been raised by development in response to issues reported in various other threads for the previous software versions.

Please take a moment to read the below and let us know your thoughts / answers if these are applicable to you.

No audio on Google Play apps
    Please specify which apps in the play store that does not have sound.

Metallic audio on internal tuner source
    Please check on the audio language selection and try to change to multichannel and if the problem is gone

Lag in SmartTV with HDD connected
    Improvement is ongoing for overall speed

Jerky picture / choppy sound / black screen (picture disappears) on internal tuner source
    There’s major improvement in v5.72.2. Still improvements are ongoing.

Ambilight + Hue issues
    Issue still being investigated.

Dimming issue (too dark)
    Technically the dashboard and content video format are processed together in the backend, so when there’s no signal, the overall content is black and the set dimmed, potentially, user can’t see UI properly. Improvement is ongoing.

Best regards,
    Ina
    Forum Mod

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Philips - Ina For This Useful Post:

Toengel (07-11-2014)

Bronze Member
    Level completed: 87%, Points required for next Level: 13
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    New Achievement!250 Experience Points3 months registered

Level
    Thanks
    I’ll start with reporting issues for the software (5.72.2) update as I had this already earlier noted down before I noticed Ina’s post about the experience thread and questions raised from the development.

So, I still have picture & sound problems with the internal tuner unfortunately, they are not as major as before but the occurrence remains. When disturbance in the picture occurs the sound escalates in metallic/choppy sound peaks and the picture is very jerky and pixelized. Earlier the only solution to restore the set to normal operation again was to unplug the power cord but now it seems to be enough with switching the set off and on again because the same problem escalates over to the other channels as well. I’ve also noticed that this problem more or less exists in 2 channels. 1 pc’s of free HD broadcast is not even watchable as the picture is such a mess while 1 pc’s of free SD broadcast have much less disturbance. My other two CAM coded HD channels and the rest of the free SD channels do not have any disturbance at all as long as I do not switch to a channel where the problems exist. Followed the signal quality on the problematic channels in specific and the signal quality commutes very much, signal strength seems to be ok but the signal quality drops down to 0 continuously. What puzzles me here is that with my Philips set of year 2010 and my digital set top box I have NEVER experienced similar. In addition I did also try two other TV’s of make Finlux and I even changed the antenna cable just to isolate the source to this problem. So yes, there is definitely something seriously wrong with the internal tuner in this set as all of the other equipment/setups experimented with was capable of performing stable all over!

Ambilight+HUE. VAU, I’m impressed! Philips actually managed to do something positive here. The set finds the HUE bridge & lights, and all is nicely configurable via the menu. The responsiveness of the lights has improved drastically and they are in fact following the Ambilight to what it seems, as well as they can. Even the picture freeze as earlier reported with Ambilight+HUE activated is gone, well done Philips!

Lounge light mode. Even this Philips managed to partly fix and thank you for that! Now I can actually use my HUE set in Lounge light mode. The lights are active and shows the correct color configured in Lounge light, however… the dynamic functionality is very vague in the set, I basically just have a plain color showing on the wall. When looking REALLY close and HARD at the led’s at the back I can see some small variations in the illumination strength but they are so MINOR that this doesn’t give a feel of dynamic light on the wall AT ALL! While again... the lights seem to have some kind of un-explainable life of their own, dynamic function !? as they show much more life in illumination strength and color switching. Would be nice to know the logic behind this because it seems that the lights in fact have a dynamic function in the specific color scheme configured !? And just for the record, HAVE PATIENCE, it will take a loooong time before the Lounge light is active from the first button press on the remote. What comes for turning off Lounge light, no improvements! The user still have to fulfill the circle as earlier reported to switch off the Lounge light mode.

Philips TV Remote App in lounge light+HUE. Still haven’t figured this out and neither does Philips enlighten us with how it should work and what the purpose of it is ?

Switch the TV Off. Actually I now also managed to have that red led switched off for the “power off” mode. The sequence to succeed is to first activate stand-by mode with remote then go to the joystick on the back and press it, red light is now switched off indicating “power off” mode. If you press the joystick on the back while the set is switched on the red light will still glow, is this then “power off” mode or not !? The logic behind such function is difficult to understand and I cannot tell if this update did bring improvements here…

Initial setup process. I can now actually select Swedish as language and choose Finland in the next screen as my country of residence, so consider that one fixed!

Dim screen and black screen with sound also seems to be gone for now as I haven’t experienced any of it so far…

Common Interface Slot. Still same problems as earlier reported. I even purchased another CAM (CI+) to see if it was the CAM (CI) that was giving me headache with the “no access” message, but noup, the same problem exists randomly. Seems that there is something really wrong in the logic how the set handles the “reading” from the Common Interface Slot’s when using the internal tuner. As long as only one CAM is inserted everything is fine but as soon as I pop in another smartcard with less viewing priority in the other Common Interface Slot the error “no access” occurs, doesn’t matter if I switch the cards in the slots, the same occurs even then. So, to continue further to the DVB recordings reported earlier, well, not possible with this Common Interface Slot “reading logic” as everyone can very well understand…

Very well, seems that Philips at least managed to implement some improvement in this updated but unfortunately not all those reported by me. I’m very pleased that I now at least can use my HUE set together with my Android Powered TV but I’m also very disappointed that so simple as basic functions with stable picture and sound in this product is still lacking. After all, this is why the consumers buy a TV!

A hint to users updating, don’t even think of just installing the update without running the initial setup process afterwards! For me it happened so that the HUE set was found but didn’t react at all in the beginning, only after the initial setup process I got it to work correctly. In addition there is two places where the user can activate/deactivate the Ambilight+HUE mode and the statuses on these ones where mixed. One was showing active while the other one was showing deactivated, but the initial setup process got rid of those mixed statuses as well...

An update after the weekend experiences…

Plugged in an external HDD to the set and basically all of the above written can be RULED OUT! for a moment... The set started lagging, rebooting, sound without picture, no Ambilight+HUE, all possible problems one could find, a total MESS! First aid to this, unplug the power cord and run the initial setup process, AGAIN! I’m really tired of having to do this continuously but it is the only solution to get life in the set again…

So to the questions raised by the Philips development...

“No audio on Google Play apps
    Please specify which apps in the play store that does not have sound.”
    Comment: Google Play Music was the problem for me, but with this latest update I at least have sound in Google Play Music now.

"Metallic audio on internal tuner source
    Please check on the audio language selection and try to change to multichannel and if the problem is gone"
    Comment: Not possible to even change to multichannel and I do not think that is really the solution to this problem.

“Lag in SmartTV with HDD connected
    Improvement is ongoing for overall speed”
    Comment: Really hope so as I had serious problems again when I plugged in a HDD.

“Jerky picture / choppy sound / black screen (picture disappears) on internal tuner source
    There’s major improvement in v5.72.2. Still improvements are ongoing.”
    Comment: Improvements yes but not ENOUGH because problem still exists!

“Ambilight + Hue issues
    Issue still being investigated.”
    Comment: Didn’t development do anything on this !? As for my set the latest update at least brought some improvements.

“Dimming issue (too dark)
    Technically the dashboard and content video format are processed together in the backend, so when there’s no signal, the overall content is black and the set dimmed, potentially, user can’t see UI properly. Improvement is ongoing.”
    Comments: The logic for the dimming issue with no signal is very well known and understandable but the dim issues I and at least user torsin had was purely related to software bugs. Example, I activated Ambiligh+HUE and after a while the menus got messy and dimming occurred. Solution was to deactivate Ambilight+HUE and unplug the power cord.

Finally, it was very sad to read that two users in this forum torsion and zeta was forced to return their purchase due to lack with the time frame waiting for this upgrade. You Philips do not really do very well in regards of communication with your customers desperately seeking for help. You just sit there quiet and collect feedback from us beta testers to a product in year 2014 that should be able to perform better when released on the market, shame on you!

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kenlee For This Useful Post:

LR92F (07-17-2014),Philips - Ina (07-18-2014)

Bronze Member
    Achievements:

Level
    Thanks
    Well... had Ambilight + HUE going good there for a while until it for some reason stopped working and didn't find my lights anymore For the moment it seems that the set cannot find the lights again if the network connection on the HUE bridge drops for a while.
    As before, the initial setup process is the cure to find the lights again

Silver Member
    Level completed: 22%, Points required for next Level: 156
    Overall activity: 50.0%
    Achievements:
    New Achievement!1 year registered1000 Experience Points

Level
    Thanks
    What a disapointment !

I really hope things are going to improve very very very quickly for this new high end TVs 2014 series.

Bronze Member
    Achievements:

Level
    Thanks
    Seem to be the only one reporting in this thread... Well, here is some more information for the developers to chew on!

Even though I for a couple of days managed to not switch to the earlier reported problematic channels I have occasionally problems with black picture and metallic/choppy sound on other channels as well, to solve the problem the set has to be turned off and on again. Philips fix this !!! It’s a TV that should at least be able to show picture and sound stable!

Optical output connected to my Philips Soundbar HTS8150 does not mute the TV speakers with Easylink function activated, there is also disturbance in the optical output sound. When sound is connected via RCA to the Soundbar there is no disturbance but here as well the TV speakers won’t mute with Easylink function activated. And yes, the settings are ok because I’ve used the same on my earlier configuration where it worked flawlessly.

Ambilight+HUE has been stable so far for a couple of days but I’ve noticed a small issue when using the Ambilight button on the remote. Occasionally if the Ambilight is turned off via the Ambilight button on the remote the user has to go via the settings menu in the set to activate Ambilight again. Sometimes it is just enough to use the Ambilight button on the remote, sometimes not... In addition I’ve also noticed that if Ambilight+HUE is deactivated the HUE lights will not respond in Lounge light mode even though Lounge light + HUE is activated. The set doesn’t always seem know in what state the functions are (active/deactivated) and that the priority in the different options and menus are not equally set.

And as usually… Still no answer from Philips what the TV Remote App option in lounge light+HUE is ment for? I'm really curios about this function but seems that Philips themselves don’t even know the functionality of it as they won’t answer my questions about it

Level completed: 64%, Points required for next Level: 327
    Overall activity: 99.9%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Kenlee View Post
    Seem to be the only one reporting in this thread... Well, here is some more information for the developers to chew on!

Even though I for a couple of days managed to not switch to the earlier reported problematic channels I have occasionally problems with black picture and metallic/choppy sound on other channels as well, to solve the problem the set has to be turned off and on again. Philips fix this !!! It’s a TV that should at least be able to show picture and sound stable!

Optical output connected to my Philips Soundbar HTS8150 does not mute the TV speakers with Easylink function activated, there is also disturbance in the optical output sound. When sound is connected via RCA to the Soundbar there is no disturbance but here as well the TV speakers won’t mute with Easylink function activated. And yes, the settings are ok because I’ve used the same on my earlier configuration where it worked flawlessly.

Ambilight+HUE has been stable so far for a couple of days but I’ve noticed a small issue when using the Ambilight button on the remote. Occasionally if the Ambilight is turned off via the Ambilight button on the remote the user has to go via the settings menu in the set to activate Ambilight again. Sometimes it is just enough to use the Ambilight button on the remote, sometimes not... In addition I’ve also noticed that if Ambilight+HUE is deactivated the HUE lights will not respond in Lounge light mode even though Lounge light + HUE is activated. The set doesn’t always seem know in what state the functions are (active/deactivated) and that the priority in the different options and menus are not equally set.

And as usually… Still no answer from Philips what the TV Remote App option in lounge light+HUE is ment for? I'm really curios about this function but seems that Philips themselves don’t even know the functionality of it as they won’t answer my questions about it

Hi Kenlee.

Thank you for your very thorough and detailed feedback. And thank you for answering the specific points mentioned as well!

It has been forwarded on to development, and further questions have arisen in regards to your picture and sound issues.

You have already answered part of it with your most recent post, but the question asked is specific to your picture/sound issue.

- Which broadcast type are you using? (DVB-C, DVB-T, DVB-S?)

- Which make and model are your CI+ cards?

- Which channels is it you are experiencing these issues with?

- Who is your channel provider and what is your country location?

I am awaiting information regarding your question about the Lounge Light + HUE feature. I will get back to you once I receive information.

Best regards,
    Ina
    Forum Mod

Bronze Member
    Achievements:

Level
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Philips - Ina View Post
    - Which broadcast type are you using? (DVB-C, DVB-T, DVB-S?)

- Which make and model are your CI+ cards?

- Which channels is it you are experiencing these issues with?

- Who is your channel provider and what is your country location?
    Broadcast: DVB-C

CI+ Card make: LaDigital and Dilog

Channels: Basically all according to last post but the one that isn't even watchable is YLE1 HD (HD brodcast) and the one with less interference is FOX (SD broadcast). What comes to the signal quality I followed, basically all HD broadcasts (YLE1 HD, YLE2 HD, MTV3 HD and Nelonen HD) have very week signal quality but still manage to stay somewhat stable besides the YLE1 HD channel.

Channel provider: Anvia in Finland
    Last edited by Kenlee; 07-18-2014 at 06:33 PM.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Kenlee For This Useful Post:

Philips - Ina (07-24-2014)

Level completed: 23%, Points required for next Level: 38
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    New Achievement!

Level
    Thanks
    Hi,

I have The same problems with my 8xx9 as you already have reportet.

I also have a problem with my tv restarts 5-10 times a day.

It seems like The problem with Black screen with text/Sound, mostly is on certain channels. In my case on channels with HbbTV. When The option (Press red button) apears, then black screen with only text/Sound.

I have The HbbTV option from DR (Denmark radio/tv)

Channels: DR1, DR2, DR K, DR3.

My Channel provider is: Boxer tv

Broadcast type: DVB-T tuner

Tv module: boxer CI+

Best regards

Jesper.

Level completed: 60%, Points required for next Level: 20
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    New Achievement!

Level
    Thanks
    Hi

New set of 48PFS8109 with the latest software.
    TV-quide doesn´t work. Instead I get a black screen (no sound).
    This limits my TV functionality quite a bit.

Is there something I should try?
    Without EPG the TV it quite invalid.

------------------------

Newer mind. TV switched independently EPG source from cable operator to internet.
    Started running smoothly when I switched it back.

T

AB
    Last edited by ABi; 08-01-2014 at 03:53 AM.

Level completed: 18%, Points required for next Level: 82
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    New Achievement!31 days registered100 Experience Points

Level
    Thanks
    TV Model: 55PFS8109
    Factory Firmware: 5.60.1

Problem = Spontaneous CRASHING, FREEZING and REBOOTING:
    The brand new TV set freezes and reboots about every 10 minutes. This is independent of input source etc, and you don't even need to touch the tv remote for it to happen. During the first 6 hours it crashed about 30 times(!!!)

Tried updating software to 5.72.2 but no difference.

Conclusion:
    The TV set is TOTALLY UNUSABLE, and either broken or badly designed. It will have to be returned to the shop.

Related:
    Reported restart behavior by Jesper2r on 07-29-2014, 11:05 PM.

Diamond Member
    Level completed: 27%, Points required for next Level: 1,102
    Overall activity: 100.0%
    Achievements:
    Recommendation Second ClassTagger First ClassOverdrive1000 Experience PointsNew Achievement!
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level
    Thanks
    Hi,

you cant use two different smartcards...

Toengel@Alex

Bronze Member
    Achievements:

Level
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Toengel View Post
    Hi,

you cant use two different smartcards...

Toengel@Alex
    At least the manual states that it is possible. It is stated that the card with higher viewing priority shall be inserted in CI slot 1 which I also have but for some reason the set searches for same viewing priority from the other CI slot as well when it gives "no access" message. My conclusions to this is that that the reading logic from the Common Interface should be re-configured. The other solution could of course be to have the same viewing priority for the other smartcard as well but then again.. I would have to pay the double price for my channels! And to continue with the recording option, well.. haven't really had the possibility to test it as the set freezes as soon as I pop in an external HDD

Diamond Member
    Level completed: 27%, Points required for next Level: 1,102
    Overall activity: 100.0%
    Achievements:
    Recommendation Second ClassTagger First ClassOverdrive1000 Experience PointsNew Achievement!
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level
    Thanks
    HI,

hmm - it's not really clear what the manual states...

It seems, that they are talking about different smartcards regardings "rights" from one operator...

Not different smartcards from different operators...

Toengel@Alex

Bronze Member
    Achievements:

Level
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Toengel View Post
    It seems, that they are talking about different smartcards regardings "rights" from one operator...
    Exactly what I have! Two smartcards from the one and same operator just with different viewing priority on them.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast