• Bookmark and Share
    Bronze Member
    Level completed: 20%, Points required for next Level: 80
    Overall activity: 13.0%
    Achievements:
    New Achievement!Tagger Second Class31 days registered250 Experience Points

Level
    Thanks

Lightbulb Power consumption stats - please contribute!

I have a 55PFL6188 Philips TV, and according to the EU 'Energy' label it is rated at 63 Watts (87 KWh/annum).

I have been concerned by the fact that my TV is currently gobbling 80+ Watts, so as a simple test I have factory reset ('reinstall') my TV. I then picked a static, black background program (any encrypted satellite channel will do so it just says 'Encrypted programme').

Next I go Options -> Picture & Sound.
    The current Picture Style setting is 'standard'. This gives me a consumption of 32.4W
    When I go back to my preferred option of 'Movie' my power consumption jumps to 85.1W!!

Remember this is a black screen with no content (apart from the menus)!! Light sensor has been turned off. No USB are devices plugged in. No Wi-Fi connection is active.
    The 'Energy bar (leaf symbol)' goes from 40% to 60%, yet my power consumption more than doubles?! Is the Energy bar exponential?

Can anybody test their TV (can be 6/7/8/9xx8 series) and see if they get as big a difference?

Level completed: 64%, Points required for next Level: 327
    Overall activity: 99.9%
    Achievements:
    New Achievement!Overdrive10000 Experience Points1 year registered
    Level
    Thanks
    Hi 55inch.

To align with IEC62087 standards for power consumption, we use a 10-minute live video sequence provided directly by the IEC organization (it is under copyright and we are legally unable to distribute it). Measuring power consumption on a static picture like a black background will lead to deviating results. The video dimming algorithms, which are tuned to give an optimum result between picture quality performance and power consumption, will react quite differently on static black pictures (or static white) compared to average live video.

Movie mode uses a different kind of compromise between the picture quality and the power consumption (trying to mimic the native movie performance). That is why the power consumption in the movie mode differs from the power consumption in the standard mode.

The internal power meter has no absolute value, it is only a very rough indication of the power consumption of the set based on some internal processing parameters. It should not be used to try to determine the absolute power consumption of the set, as this is not the intended use of this indicator.

Best regards,
    Ina
    Forum Mod

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Philips - Ina For This Useful Post:

Jarnimo (08-11-2014)

Bronze Member
    Level completed: 20%, Points required for next Level: 80
    Overall activity: 13.0%
    Achievements:
    New Achievement!Tagger Second Class31 days registered250 Experience Points

Level
    Thanks
    Thank you Ina for your response - most informative.

I thought using a black screen would be good because a) it is constant / static and b) it should use the lowest amount of power.

I was watching a boxing match recently , so most of the screen was blue (color of floor inside boxing ring). The power consumption at this point was 105W !

Does having a model with satellite tuner make much difference to power consumption?