• Bookmark and Share
    Level completed: 22%, Points required for next Level: 78
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    Tagger Second ClassNew Achievement!7 days registered

Level
    Thanks

Exclamation Screen 46PFL9706 glitching

Hi guys, I'm new to the forum and, probably like many, registered to report a problem.

For nearly 3 years I've been the happy owner of the EISA-award winning 46PFL9706 (3D TV of the year).
    Then, last Friday night, I changed the setting of the "Dynamic Backlight" (turning it on) and the screen started glitching a few minutes later.

It's hard to describe without a photo, so I'll just give it my best shot:
    - Single pixel lines (of various colors, but only 1 color per line), both horizontal and vertical, but never together appear on random places, but regular intervals on the screen. The colors are usually fully saturated red, green or blue or completely white.
    - Broad bands of white appear (same direction as the lines) appear to 'grow' (they start of at an edge and 'blob' in length to the other edge).
    - Checkered patterns of white, purple (fully saturated R+B) appear on random places.
    - Remnants of the on-screen content remain visible until overtaken by the above glitches

Now comes the weirdest part:
    All this occurs after a few seconds after booting is completed. The screen 'resets' after 30-60 seconds or so and acts like nothing happened... until it happens again several seconds later.

Other notable behavior:
    - The TV continues to accept and process ALL remote control input. This includes going through the entire menu, switching input channel (HDMI, SCART, YPbPr), turning the TV off.
    - Switching input does not reset the screen, nor does turning off the 2 motion compensation settings (that usually resulted in a black screen for 1 second cue to the disabling of all motion processing).
    - All sound, backlight and Ambilight behavior is completely NORMAL. This includes the colors for Ambilight. The colorful blobs and lines (and the white) are NOT visible in Ambilight.

Solutions I've tried so far:
    - Turning the TV off and on again. Doing the same with hardswitch off, and power cable unplugged for at least a couple of hours (next day).
    - Resetting to factory default (not the reinstall TV option)
    - Reinstalling the TV
    - Updating the software (was Q5551 for TV550R3 with 14.93 build 11a) to the latest (14.105)

I haven't tried watching content from USB.. I'll get back on that later this evening.

Now as for how many hours this TV has been on, I can almost assure it's above 3000 hours.

The hardware setup:
    HDMI 1: Yamaha amplifier
    SCART: CD-i
    YPbPr: (same) Yamaha amplifier
    no CI+ card, rarely a USB

The first glitch occurred during the playing of a PS3 game (PS3 connected to the Yamaha, Yamaha to TV) a minute or so after changing the "Dynamic Backlight" setting from "None/off" to "Best Picture". Now before I hear the oblivious answers that it's something other than the TV causing this problem.. the above hardware setup has not changed in over 2 years.

So.. what do you guys think?

Achievements:

Level
    Thanks
    OK, so I just tried to play content from a USB stick. It plays, but the glitching still occurred.
    To top it off, it also stopped playback after some 5 minutes.
    The commands from the remote were still processed (volume, mute, turn off).

Another bit of intel: sometimes the glitching now occurs DURING start-up (the PHILIPS splash screen).

--edit--
    I've checked the actual time the device has been on (using the 06- code): 4780 hours.

According to the same menu, under 'error':
    54 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00
    If that means anything to anyone here, please help.
    Last edited by Shikotei; 09-01-2014 at 04:55 PM. Reason: Additional maintenance-menu intel

Achievements:

Level
    Thanks
    I've done a bit of rummaging at home and found the original receipt. The date on it is November 17, 2011.
    Can I show this (with the TV) at a Philips MyShop store and have them help me?
    The nearest (known) MyShop location is in Eindhoven.

Achievements:

Level
    Thanks
    I'm kinda disappointed by the lack of responses. Nearly 100 folks have seen it, but no-one said anything.

A second opinion (my dad's) may clear the software from blame and mark the hardware as the main cause for this behavior.
    According to him, because the glitching does not appear immediately, but after a few seconds right after restarting the TV and a few minutes after starting the TV after a long (overnight) period.
    In the first case, the TV is still relatively warm. The second case features a cold TV.
    Because of the low temperature, hardware may 'last longer' than when it is warm.

If it is indeed a hardware malfunction, the change in software simply triggered hardware to behave differently and it simply gave in.

Looking at it this way, the Dynamic Backlight feature could have cause a peak-voltage (or current) that may have fried something after years of service. This means that the hardware has degraded far enough over the years that it could no longer support the change in behavior and died.

Achievements:

Level
    Thanks
    This might as well not be posted, but for those interested or having a similar problem (of any kind):
    I've found out that for a standard price (I believe 70 Euros) that a Philips MyShop location will take a look and examine/test a TV and report whether they found the problem or that the problem is (un)fixable.

How come a support forum won't even yield this kind of information?
    Are there no tech-guys on this forum? Why must every bit of intel come from my vicinity? I might as well be monologuing here.

Achievements:

Level
    Thanks
    Well, seeing as I haven't had a single response, neither good nor bad, it's probably beyond the knowledge of anyone here to offer insight or aid of any kind. It pains me to have to write off a 2500 Euro TV set after only reaching 80% of its estimated life-cycle.

SO! I'm going to change the angle of approach here and ask you guys some questions about the still working hardware that is present in my residence.
    Such as:
    - Do the PTA516 (V3) active 3D glasses work with the active 3D tech in the 2014 line-up?

Achievements:

Level
    Thanks
    After bringing one to a shop the answer is 'yes, they work'.

Last post in this topic, seeing as in two weeks time there hasn't been any input from anyone. Let this be a warning to those with software problems on a 2011 model: the support is 'lacking'.