• Topic Tools
  • Display
  • Bookmark and Share
    Silver Member
    Level completed: 61%, Points required for next Level: 118
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    1 year registered1000 Experience PointsNew Achievement!

Level
    Thanks

DTS HD playback glitch.

Please read posting #4 for some rectification on the topic!

This is in reference to:

Philips BDP8000/78
    Firmware version 1.56
    Onkyo SR-605 A/V receiver - HDMI

I am quite sure that there is glitch in the latest 1.56 firmware or in one of its previous releases:

When playing back Blu-Ray discs with DTS HD HR 6.1 the sound playback starts with intermittent dropouts. This issue never happened with my previous BD player (Panasonic BD-30), and therefore it is not the receiver's fault.

Curiously, if I press the audio button on the remote while the disc is playing and change the codec to, say, Dolby Digital 5.1 EX and then change it back to DTS HD HR 6.1 the receiver locks into the latter and plays the soundtrack without interruption.

Interestingly, DTS HD MA 6.1 tracks plays back as 5.1, but I don't know whose fault is it, the receiver's or the player's.

I have read postings over the Internet about this issue, but I could not find any workaround and nobody could really ascertain if the Onkyo/Integra receivers are the culprit or not.

Theoretically, it should not happen when the disc bitstream HDMI is sent to receivers.

DTS HD MA 7.1, on the other hand, plays correctly with all my previous and current playback gear, and it does not seem to produce much problems elsewhere.

F.Y.I.:

1 - Lionsgate releases are the only BD that I own containing DTS HD HR 6.1;
    2 - Lord of the Rings is reported by some postings as DTS HD MA 6.1 but neither the disc's menu or the receiver will identify it as such, but as 5.1;
    3 - None of the BD with DTS HD MA 6.1 that I own will play as 6.1, but as 5.1.

It seems to me that the DTS HD HR 6.1 glitch can (and it should) be corrected in a future firmware release.

As for the DTS HD MA 6.1 flaw I am not sure if a firmware update can correct it. I had a previous DTS HD MA playback distortion with a couple of Universal Blu-Ray discs that were immediately corrected via firmware in my previous Panasonic BD-30 player.

However, in the not so distant past, the Dolby Digital 5.1 EX flag was incorrectly authored in the fist DVDs that contained that option. Dolby Labs admitted that it was their fault.

Ultimately, there can be glitches at the disc, player and receiver's levels, and the only way to be sure is to try different gears or hope that someone will identify them before you.
    Last edited by Paulo Roberto Elias; 06-16-2011 at 10:26 AM. Reason: The original posting need amendments due to new findings!

Diamond Member
    Level completed: 57%, Points required for next Level: 612
    Overall activity: 100.0%
    Achievements:
    Recommendation Second ClassTagger First ClassOverdrive1000 Experience PointsNew Achievement!
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level
    Thanks
    Hi,

can you post the barcodes of the discs - so maybe Philips can take a look at it...

Toengel@Alex

Silver Member
    Achievements:

Level
    Thanks
    Sure!

Total Recall - Lionsgate 0 12236 19153 7 80
    Basic Instinct - Lionsgate 0 12236 19159 9 80

Both region A releases.

Silver Member
    Achievements:

Level
    Thanks
    This is something I needed to post in order to try to put things in their correct perspective:

Yesterday I got home a brand new A/V receiver, namely the Onkyo TX-NR708, which then replaced the older Onkyo TX-SR605. After setting it up I started playing a few discs, and guess what? The glitch that I had observed with the BDP800 and the former receiver was no longer there!

At this point I cannot explain why I didn't this have glitch when my former Blu-Ray player (Panasonic BD-30) was connected to the Onkyo 605, but since HDMI connections can be tricky and subjected to a number of problems, it is possible that the fault might rely on some sort of idiosyncrasy between the Philips and the SR-605.

It is also interesting that I have in my collection Blu-Ray discs whose soundtracks cannot be properly decoded in some systems. For example: the Lord of The Rings trilogy (New Line, US) specifies the soundtracks as DTS HD MA 6.1but they are actually DTS HD MA 5.1 ES Matrixed (as shown in the new receiver's display). My PC identifies the track as 5.1, and the Onkyo SR-605 would indeed play it as such.

I presume that the reason why these soundtracks are undocumented is that they are not standard or perhaps not properly flagged.

Coincidentally I found a thread at the AV Forums site reporting that the Onkyo 605 cannot play the 6.1 track, but this seems not to be restricted to the 605.

In the not so distant past Onkyo and Integra receivers had problems playing back DTS HD MA tracks from some discs. The playback would produce sudden bursts of audio explosions at random, very scary by the way. To sort this out, Onkyo released a firmware update to its line of receivers and only after the update the explosions stopped.

On another instance Universal released The Mummy and The Mummy Returns with a massive distortion in the DTS HD MA soundtrack, but it was corrected via a firmware update on the Panasonic BD-30 very quickly.

As far as I can tell I am yet to find convincing explanations to these DTS HD issues. In most cases A/V enthusiasts cannot ascertain where exactly these problems are produced.

Audio issues in Blu-Ray discs are not limited to DTS soundtracks. I have one disc (The Perfect Storm, WB, US) that would not play the Dolby TrueHD track, except in my PC. My US dealer sent me a replacement. Much to my amazement, the replacement had a Dolby Digital Surround EX playing back correctly where the former disc did not!

Well, it so happens that luckily my new receiver was able to lock onto the Dolby TrueHD track very fast. and what a difference in sound quality it makes.

At any rate, I would like to apologize to whoever from Philips is reading this!

I am usually very cautious when reporting incidents but in this case I could have been a bit hasty. My only excuse is that until yesterday I did not have means to try to reproduce the glitch with a new receiver. It is my fault however that I didn't resort to a friend's setup to check it there.

I hope, on the other hand, that the reading of the postings may not be a waste of time and perhaps try to tackle audio issues that my be pertinent to other users' playback equipments.
    Last edited by Paulo Roberto Elias; 06-19-2011 at 01:38 PM. Reason: Correction of the codec name.

Diamond Member
    Level completed: 57%, Points required for next Level: 612
    Overall activity: 100.0%
    Achievements:
    Recommendation Second ClassTagger First ClassOverdrive1000 Experience PointsNew Achievement!
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level
    Thanks
    Hi,

great that it works now!

Toengel@Alex

Silver Member
    Achievements:

Level
    Thanks
    Thanks! I appreciate your support.

I have found other discs with the undocumented DTS HD MA 5.1 RX Matrix:

Monsters, Inc., Wall-E, and The Incredibles, all from Pixar/Disney. Neither of these discs specifies the matrixed 6.1 but DTS HD MA 5.1 on the back cover.

I presume that the Disney/Buena Vista people did not want to get entangled with complaints from users whose receivers are not yet able to read and playback the matrix part of these tracks. Because this is exactly what happened with the Lord of The Rings trilogy over the Internet.
    Last edited by Paulo Roberto Elias; 06-23-2011 at 10:36 AM. Reason: Adding more info.