Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
  • Topic Tools
  • Display
  • Bookmark and Share
    Level completed: 47%, Points required for next Level: 107
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    1 year registered1000 Experience PointsNew Achievement!

Level
    Thanks
    Hello, I'd like to purchase a 42pfl4606h TV, but am wondering if these issues have been adressed and will be resolved in the near future. Can somebody inform me of the status thereof ?

kind regards,
    Arthur

Bronze Member
    Level completed: 20%, Points required for next Level: 240
    Achievements:

Level
    Thanks
    Hello 4606,

I'm not sure if the /12 (or what they're selling in Holland) variant is also concerned or only the /58.

Anyway, I'm afraid the next firmware update will come only at the end of the month (seeing the release dates of the earlier ones).

BTW, a friend at Media Markt said they are switching over the 4606's from shop mode (in which it automatically set itself to Vivid mode with the default Sharpness level of 7, what is really being 12-13 now, which is simply unwatchable) to home mode to be able to set it lower (which is fine with average quality TV signals, at least). Even though they need to go and reset the TV's manually several times a day, as visitors can (mis)adjust the sets and it won't reset itself automatically in Home mode. So, they are not happy with it, either. (The Philips representative there is only lifting his shoulder and say it's not that annoying from 3-4 meters... Could this be the official position of Philips!?)

Level completed: 47%, Points required for next Level: 107
    Achievements:

Level
    Thanks
    Yes it's the /12 here in Holland. Judging only by the file-size of the Autorun.upg firmware file they'd be the same, as would be the firmware for the 37", but that's just a guess.
    I went to a store to view the panel and the sharpness overadjustment is very noticable indeed, as the store clerk did acknowledge. After fiddling with the settings for a while he could only advise me to buy a different TV I hope this bug will be corrected soon, it seems an otherwise good TV with an excellent price-quality ratio, and I really want to buy one a.s.a.p

Greetings, Arthur

Level completed: 97%, Points required for next Level: 7
    Achievements:
    1 year registeredNew Achievement!1000 Experience Points

Level
    Thanks
    @ dezz
    Thank you for very useful information. I was seriously interested to buy this TV (/58), at an appropriate price, but now I see no need to hurry, but wait for the eventual improvement of the engineers.

Would you or someone else could clarify for me confusing information about the 400Hz Perfect Motion Rate (PMR) ? Is this a publicity stunt? What's it all about? Does this TV have 100Hz Clear Motion Rate or not?

And finally - if I even at this time had the opportunity to buy 42PFL5405 would you advise me to be better choices? Does it have serious disadvantages as compared to 4606?

Thanks in advance!

Level completed: 25%, Points required for next Level: 151
    Achievements:
    1 year registered500 Experience PointsNew Achievement!

Level
    Thanks
    I have the 42PFL4606H/12 here in Norway with firmware 2.10 and got the same sharpness issues. Hope they'll release a firmware with a fix soon...

Level completed: 38%, Points required for next Level: 124
    Achievements:

Level
    Thanks
    On the new firmware the subtitles are too high if you set a character encoding other than English (Eastern Europe, Greece, etc.).

Level completed: 30%, Points required for next Level: 140
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks
    I wanted to purchase 42PFL4606H/58, but when i read this i changed my mind, it's so sad that this TV has so many bugs and picture quality drawbacks.

Philips, why you don't respond, dezz has made a big job for revealing this 42PFL4606H/12/58 problem, but your engineers aren't solving this problem.

Bronze Member
    Achievements:

Level
    Thanks
    @ Touareg: The picture quality would basically be fine, just have these issues... (Otherways either I wouldn't have bought this TV or would have sold it, already.) If once they fix them (at least the sharpening), it will be a good choice. (It's also good now if you watch it from 3-4m.)

It's time for a new version of FW to come, let's see what changes...

BTW, perhaps I've found another issue. My PC is connected to the TV with HDMI (as a second display). My videocard is a (passive) Radeon HD5750. If I switch the TV on, while the PC is on (and mostly it is), the connection will most of the time be reduced to DVI mode, so audio is gone. It needs a reboot to get back the HDMI functionality. (There is an amplifier connected to the PC, as well, but I prefer to use the speakers of the TV when I play f.ex. cartoons for my child.) It can be an issue with the videocard (driver/FW?), indeed, as well. But, I've found no similar complaints from other users of this videocard.

@ Arthur: I'm sorry I called you "4606" before.

@ Magnus: The 4606 is a 100 Hz TV, in terms of refresh rate and motion interpolation. Where did they wrote otherways?

Choices... It's always hard... Regarding last year's models, and if you're fine with or even prefer AS-IPS panels, and can't find an 5405, you can go with LG 42LD550, 565, 650 or 750 (these are also hard to find already, though).

Regarding new models, I think one can only get a 50 Hz + CCFL, for the actual price of the 5405, or even for a bit more. I've found only one 100 Hz + CCFL model next to the 4606, the LG 42LK530. It's fine, but its motion-interpolation is similar or worse than that of the 5405, the dynamic noise reduction is not as excellent as in Philips TVs, and I don't even like their new housing (subjective). Settings-wise it's better. If you want even another 100 Hz model, they will sell you an edge-LED backlight as well, for prices it's questionable if it worth it.

Comparing the 5405 and 4606:

I think the panel of the 42PFL5405 has a little bit better native contrast ratio, but on the other hand, it's noticeably slower (along with the mentioned LGs) than the one in the 42PFL4606. AFAIK, the former panel is a 3x12-bit one. I think the latter one is a 3x10-bit one, which is not bad at all, either. (It means there is less of a chance for colour banding, compared to 3x8-bit panels, usual in Samsung TVs, f.ex.) Both are AS-IPS, looking at the subpixel structure.

The motion-interpolation of the 5405 is a bit inferior compared to the one in the 4606, but you won't get better even with the latest LGs, f.ex. The difference is not as big, though.

Regarding the media player capabilities, the 4606 is able to display some forms of subtitles in movie files. No Philips TV could do this, until now. Also, it seems the codec compatibility is a bit better in the 4606. Neither can switch between audio streams or support DTS. (The 5405 won't even play it if there is a DTS stream; the 4606 will play - with no voice if the DTS is the first audio stream.)

Otherways I think these are very similar. (Except the housing and some little things here are there. And of course these issues, as of now.)
    Last edited by dezz; 08-25-2011 at 02:20 AM.

Level completed: 97%, Points required for next Level: 7
    Achievements:
    1 year registeredNew Achievement!1000 Experience Points

Level
    Thanks
    @dezz
    Thank you very much for your efforts and comprehensive response.

About 100Hz: Philips on the official 4606 site, as well as the supporting material does not state anywhere what is actually Clear Motion Rate. So, I have not found this information.

The only such specifications that can be correlated is "400Hz Perfect Motion Rate", which for me is quite unknown. I have not found any other brand mentioned something like that.

I even saw on 4606 TV boxes (later) glued labels that promote PMR value, but not a 100Hz info. All this is quite confusing me. And finally, when I saw the mighty bugs that you listed... I mean... WOW!

LG is not an option for me. Maybe a Panasonic plasma.

Diamond Member
    Level completed: 27%, Points required for next Level: 1,102
    Overall activity: 100.0%
    Achievements:
    Recommendation Second ClassTagger First ClassOverdrive1000 Experience PointsNew Achievement!
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level
    Thanks
    Hi,

as far as I know, the 4000 series of 2011 is CCFL technology and they use a 100 Hz panel...

Toengel@Alex

Bronze Member
    Achievements:

Level
    Thanks
    @Magnus: It seems the CMR is some kind of a visual experience index, similar to Motion Clarity Index some manufactures started to promote, to make a distinction from older 100 Hz models. (Usually they're listing the actual refresh rate, as well, though.)

@Toengel: Correct. My TV says 100 Hz Clear LCD in the menu and obviously it's so.

Level completed: 20%, Points required for next Level: 160
    Achievements:

Level
    Thanks

Disable Dynamic Contrast missing alternative

I've found this thread and I'm really amazed, come on Philips fix the problems.

I've been searching the menus of my recently bought TV, a Philips 42PFL4606H, for a way to disable the Dynamic Contrast or what ever it might be called. It's really anoying when you watch movies were there are dark scenes and TV automatic adjust the contrast so it gets even darker and you wont be able to see all details.

I will check for FW updates.

Bronze Member
    Achievements:

Level
    Thanks
    @oklunden: Try these! Navigate this way in the menu:
    'Home' -> Setup -> TV Settings -> Picture -> Pixel Plus HD
    And here you will find two settings (among others):
    - Dynamic Contrast
    - Dynamic Backlight

The former is for adjusting the contrast (digitally) according to image contents, I think. It darkens even more the dark regions. I have it set to OFF.

The latter one is for adjusting the backlight according to image content. (Never mind it's usually called dynamic contrast instead by other manufactures.) I have it enabled, as I think a panel with an 1000-1200:1 native(!) contrast ratio needs some automatic adjustment in backlight intensity. But you may prefer it be disabled. Although, first you could try to set it to Best Picture, as this way it doesn't darkens the backlight that much with dark scenes.

I hope it helps.

Level completed: 3%, Points required for next Level: 194
    Achievements:

Level
    Thanks
    Hi everyone, i have 42PFL4606H/58 few days, and starting to think that i made wrong turn when i chosed philips

It cant play DTS, well ok i can live with that, but if i play 1080p video from USB, with AC3 sounds, it plays only 1 audio track, i cant switch to another audio language....
    Is it posible ? Or i need to cut away languages that i dont need, and left only 1 audio track ?

Bronze Member
    Achievements:

Level
    Thanks
    Hello Dziao, AFAIK only some Samsung TVs play DTS, but neither their media player in the TV is flawless. If you want perfect media player functionality better buy a media player box...

That being said, it wouldn't need as much work to allow selection of the audio and subtitle language. Perhaps it will be added later, with a FW update.

I would care more about the image quality... This TV would have a great image quality (compared to it's price, at least), as it have a brand new fast AS-IPS panel and relatively good electronics - if there weren't certain bugs in the FW, mentioned a few times in this topic. Why should one care about the language thing when the whole TV is better not used for HD material, in the first place? (Unless you like this miserable, artifical looking oversharpened image, that is.)

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Tags for this Topic