Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
  • Topic Tools
  • Display
  • Bookmark and Share
    Silver Member
    Level completed: 8%, Points required for next Level: 369
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:
    1 year registered1000 Experience PointsNew Achievement!
    Level
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by mbkeen View Post
    Update - engineer came and took tv away today, said potential problem is damaged/broken connection to the screen but not seen exactly the same problem before. Now its a 7-10 day wait to see what happens.
    Any news yet?...

Silver Member
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks
    Unfortunately, there is still nothing new to report here...

Silver Member
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks
    Hello again everyone!

For one of the two New Bugs I mentioned in the opening post of this thread:

The problem is that around two times an evening, at high contrast borders in the picture (in dark/black regions next to brighter objects), I see some white pixels flashing.
    These flashes are just that: very short flashes. They are not confined to certain areas on the screen, they are confined to these, as I called them, high contrast border regions. When they happen once, they will happen a number of times after that: around five to ten times, 3-15 seconds apart. And then they're gone again for a number of hours.

This has been confirmed by a couple of other people around the web, with different sizes of the PFL9705 and with different firmware versions. Some say the "Clear LCD" setting seems to effect this bug.

I finally have been able to catch it on camera, so you can see it for yourself... in case you didn't notice it in person yet:
    Flashes.MP4 - 4.2 MB

I have a few updates:

- first of all, those flashes are no longer made of only white pixels. All possible coloured pixel flashes can be seen now.
    - they are still happening in dark/black regions, but not necessarily next to bright objects. Slightly brighter, yes.
    - and contrary to my last message on this subject, the frequency is back at what I said in the original post (around two times an evening, five to ten flashes, 3-15 seconds apart).

Does anyone know yet what is causing this and, most importantly, how it can be solved?...

Diamond Member
    Level completed: 48%, Points required for next Level: 730
    Overall activity: 100.0%
    Achievements:
    Recommendation Second ClassTagger First ClassOverdrive1000 Experience PointsNew Achievement!
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level
    Thanks
    Hi Freddy,

on my TV I never saw these flashings. But your video is good. As one can see, this is not a panel problem, cause it is content dependent (mouth of the woman).

Do I have this bug in my bug list?

Toengel@Alex

Silver Member
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks
    Hallo Alex,

I've just went through your bug list and no, it wasn't in there yet. So I put it in my reply there, along with two other bugs and one feature request that weren't in your list yet.

Level completed: 44%, Points required for next Level: 113
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    1 year registered500 Experience PointsNew Achievement!

Level
    Thanks

40PFL6606T/12: Subtitle Problem

Hello.

I just bought 40PFL6606T/12 tv and put newest firmware in it.I notice some problems with external subtiles.
    They doesn't show in the filefolder but from remote control i can get it on.Texts are going too fast or somehow rapidly blinking on about one minute and then they dissappears.Also fontsize is way too small.
    These happens with avi+srt, mkv+srt files from usb.Sound and video works perfectly.
    Is Philips going to fix this in near future?

Bronze Member
    Level completed: 78%, Points required for next Level: 45
    Achievements:

Level
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Freddy View Post
    Hello again everyone!

For one of the two New Bugs I mentioned in the opening post of this thread:

The problem is that around two times an evening, at high contrast borders in the picture (in dark/black regions next to brighter objects), I see some white pixels flashing.
    These flashes are just that: very short flashes. They are not confined to certain areas on the screen, they are confined to these, as I called them, high contrast border regions. When they happen once, they will happen a number of times after that: around five to ten times, 3-15 seconds apart. And then they're gone again for a number of hours.

This has been confirmed by a couple of other people around the web, with different sizes of the PFL9705 and with different firmware versions. Some say the "Clear LCD" setting seems to effect this bug.

I finally have been able to catch it on camera, so you can see it for yourself... in case you didn't notice it in person yet:
    Flashes.MP4 - 4.2 MB

I have a few updates:

- first of all, those flashes are no longer made of only white pixels. All possible coloured pixel flashes can be seen now.
    - they are still happening in dark/black regions, but not necessarily next to bright objects. Slightly brighter, yes.
    - and contrary to my last message on this subject, the frequency is back at what I said in the original post (around two times an evening, five to ten flashes, 3-15 seconds apart).

Does anyone know yet what is causing this and, most importantly, how it can be solved?...
    No idea but I've seen similar in in my tv too. One was a still picture from a movie where one of the frame corners was constantly adjusting and thus it "blinked" in brightness. Another one I don't know if it is the tv or the pc graphics cards but it is similar to the one you described. After some time when seeing a 1080p video for example the white flashs start. If I stop the video they go away after while. Starting the movie again and after a while they start again. In my case it doesn't appear to be related with contrast and so I don't know if it is the tv.

Nonetheless I do think this tv has too many image and other problems considering its price.

Silver Member
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks
    Updated the bug list in the first post to the 140.46 state.

Bronze Member
    Level completed: 82%, Points required for next Level: 37
    Overall activity: 15.0%
    Achievements:
    3 months registeredTagger Second ClassOverdrive1000 Experience PointsNew Achievement!

Level
    Thanks
    The lack of an 4:3-setting (formerly:"normal") should be considered a FAULT on a top-of-the-line TV. Especially the larger screens. I rank geometry - the shape/form of image content - as the basic criteria concerning picture quality. With CRTs this was always a bit tricky- circles were never perfect (but always a tiny bit egg-like) and paralell lines were never totally paralell etc. On digtal TVs geometry should not be a problem. It seems most people don't care about this and prefer to "fill the screen" even if thir favourite actor becomes very fat and are happy with letterboxed 4:3-content on a widescreen TV. But the ones that buy the 9000 -series are concerned about picture quality and should not be deprived of the option to get the right proportions. I guess the majority of existing (incl older) video-content (TV-productions, home video) is 4:3. This important format should be an option on any TV!

Level completed: 47%, Points required for next Level: 107
    Achievements:

Level
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Freddy View Post
    - The second "new" bug is a "funny" one... Again I will try to describe it as accurately as possible, as capturing it on video requires a good camera and a steady hand.

This problem happens only with "Dynamic Backlight" = Off and "Clear LCD" = On. When the tv is turned on with these settings as described, everything looks fine. But after a while, ranging from 15 minutes to a couple of hours after the tv has been turned on, panning shots start to look very bad when bright colors are involved.
    Say someone with a red shirt (or any other bright color) pans through the picture, then the color red seems to follow the shirt, juddering around half a centimeter behind where it should be.

Turning "Dynamic Backlight" on resolves it, but turn it off again and the problem returns immediately.
    However, turning "Clear LCD" off also resolves it, but now the problem remains gone even after turning "Clear LCD" on again. So "Clear LCD" seems to reset a certain timing that can get out of sync under some circumstances, like I described.

Freddy
    I too have had this (or something described very much like this) - in particular for strong red colours in panning shots (but also to a lesser extent any strong red colours because cameras never stay rock still for long). In fact this has been the only issue with my 40PFL9705/H that has really been annoying (maybe I am supersensitive to the effect, my friends tell me they can't see it).

I would describe it as looking like the red colour lags a few frames behind the other colours. Visually, the red colours diffuse out of the area they're supposed to be, and in a panning shot typically this results in smearing and a general greying of the original area.

I observed this with or without Clear LCD enabled, but usually only with PNM enabled and dynamic backlight enabled. I couldn't find any combination of settings to completely eliminate this, only disabling PNM appeared to make the effect less obvious (harder to tell if effect was eliminated given lower frame rates with PNM disabled)

I was running .47 firmware. Yesterday I downgraded to .27, disabled Clear LCD, and the problem appears to have totally gone away. It almost seems (as Freddy says) that something in the Clear LCD settings is incorrectly adjusting timings, and (in the case of the newer firmwares), it seems that the incorrect timings are always present. I am very happy with the visual quality of .27 (after one day's experimentation at least)

Silver Member
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks
    Interesting to hear your story! Please keep us posted.

And while you're happy with .27, may I suggest to go back one more version, because I expect you'll be extremely happy with .25! Or was there a reason you chose .27?...
    Last edited by Freddy; 11-11-2012 at 11:47 AM.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234