Level completed: 6%, Points required for next Level: 853
    Overall activity: 46.0%
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience PointsNew Achievement!10000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thanks

Lightbulb USB Recording: your experiences

Hi

The 2k11 TV sets are out and, together with the latest software releases, you will be able to use the USB Recording feature on our 6-/7-/8- and 9000 series TV's.

Please share all your experiences with USB Recording in this thread.

Thank you.

Requirements for USB Recording:
    - USB Recording is possible on 2k11 TV's from 6000 Series onwards (xxPFL6xx6). Note: latest firmware has to be installed.
    - USB Recording requires a USB stick (or external HDD) with min. 32 GB memory. Note: as the USB stick/drive will be formated, all data on it will be lost.
    - Saved Recordings will be encrypted and can only be decrypted with the same TV, so sharing movies will NOT be possible.
    - USB Scheduled Recording requires an active internet connection on the TV (wired or wireless).

Some Notes:
    on Timeshift, the TV writes informations to the USB Stick.
    At the same Time informations will be send from the Stick so its read/write at the same Time.
    It can happen that on some USB Sticks with high Latency the Picture will judder while using Timeshift.
    In this Case please use a different USB Stick or Harddrive.

Regards
    Thomas
    Last edited by Philips - Thomas; 07-29-2011 at 12:55 PM. Reason: Corrected some typing errors.

Diamond Member
    Level completed: 91%, Points required for next Level: 134
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Recommendation Second ClassTagger First ClassOverdrive1000 Experience PointsNew Achievement!
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level
    Thanks
    Hi,

please give us additionally the option to schedule a recording with the DVB-EPG and manually by programming start time, end time, channel... I'm not the only one who wants that. See: http://www.supportforum.philips.com/...in-2011-series

USB recording with 6000 series is very hard due to only ONE USB PORT. So you should state explicitly if one can use a USB hub for the WLAN dongle + USB-HDD (of course one can use wired LAN) or a WLAN-LAN-Bridge...

Toengel@Alex

Level completed: 55%, Points required for next Level: 91
    Achievements:
    1 year registered1000 Experience PointsNew Achievement!

Level
    Thanks
    hi
    i have a 40pfl9715 and i'm using satellite to watch to tv. i dont know how to record tv programs on usb. please help me

Diamond Member
    Achievements:
    Recommendation Second ClassTagger First ClassOverdrive1000 Experience PointsNew Achievement!
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by safemode.m View Post
    hi
    i have a 40pfl9715 and i'm using satellite to watch to tv. i dont know how to record tv programs on usb. please help me
    Hi,

you can't record broadcasts with your TV - it does only work with 2011 models (xxPFLxxx6x/xx).

Toengel@Alex

Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by safemode.m View Post
    hi
    Hi

USB recording is available only for the PFLxxx6 TVs (2011). The 9715 came out 2011 but is a 2010 TV.
    To be able to record TV content via Sat the best is to use an external Sat Receiver with build in PVR.
    Yes, you need an extra device but this give you also the ability to watch a certain program and record a different one.

Regards
    Thomas

Bronze Member
    Level completed: 95%, Points required for next Level: 10
    Achievements:

Level
    Thanks

as

you cant record into usb, because philips want that you renew your tv every year or buy a new box media player.
    Dont worry, samsung dont have this problem, because samsung is updating to a new firmwares tvs from 2010.

Diamond Member
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level
    Thanks
    Hi,

@exitido
    this forum is to help people - not to blame Philips in every post... ;-)

Toengel@Alex

Level completed: 71%, Points required for next Level: 59
    Achievements:
    1 year registeredTagger Second Class1000 Experience PointsNew Achievement!

Level
    Thanks
    Toengel.. Of course this forum is to help people.. and a way of helping people is showing then what 'real world' is .... Showing what is not explained in shops or publicity... that Philips software and firmwares are worst than awful.. that you buy a brand new TV, and new features are only implemented and updated in last tv's.. So.. what exitido is saying is totally true and I agree with him.

My advice for everyone: if you want a tv, only a TV, philips is great; But totally forget about anything else added as extra: better buy another brand with good extras or additional values, or buy a external media player. You will be less frustrated.

Platinum Member
    Level completed: 11%, Points required for next Level: 359
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:
    1 year registeredTagger Second Class1000 Experience PointsNew Achievement!

Level
    Thanks
    I also agree. Buy a television for picture quality, and let everything else handled by a media player. After all, there is no TV that can match a dedicated media player in functionalities. They use chipsets with several tenths of codecs, and not a few codecs found in TVs...

The Korean brands have more features in multimedia playing, but again they don't match a media player...

Level completed: 38%, Points required for next Level: 125
    Achievements:

Level
    Thanks
    I have the 37PFL7606H/12 linked to a LaCie Minimus HDD. I use this setup mainly for time-shifting and it works just fine most of the times. When pressing "play" after pausing a programme I usually get 1-2 secs black screen and then the programme continues as expected. Sometimes it just continues from the frozen picture on the screen, which of course looks even neater. However about 20% of the times the black screen stays and it is impossible to continue watching where I paused. I can only press "stop" to take me back to live watching, thus missing part of the programme. Very annoying when watching detectives!
    Anybody recognize this?

[The LaCie Minimus has a stated writing/reading speed of 60 MB/s (usb 2.0) or 600 MB/s (usb 3.0), so the speed shouldn't be the problem. It is connected to the tv with 1,2 meter long a 3.0 usb cable (though the tv only supports usb 2.0, but that shouldn't be a problem I suppose).]

Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks
    Hi iestyn99,

Please duoble-check this behavior also with an USB Stick or another HDD to see if it is the same there.

Thanks
    Thomas

Bronze Member
    Level completed: 24%, Points required for next Level: 153
    Achievements:
    1 year registered500 Experience PointsNew Achievement!

Level
    Thanks

Recording in standby mode

Hi,

I have some trouble making recordings of digital channels (decrypted by the CI+ module of my 42PFL7486K).
    The problem is that recordings made in standby mode are usually marked as "expired", and they cannot be watched.
    However, when making two subsequent recordings on the same channel, ie. when I do not just record the program I want to watch but also the preceding program, then only the first recording is "expired", while the second recording is ok.
    Telling by this behavior, it seems that the recording of a program starts before decryption has started, and that programs recorded this way cannot be watched. Only if decryption has already been started by making a recording of the preceding program on the same channel, the recording will be fine.
    My request would be that the recording of a program is delayed until the decryption has begun, either automatically or by a fixed amount of time that can be adjusted by the user.

Cheers,
    Burkhard

PS Not a complaint but praise: I'm happy that, with the last firmware update, the maximum "fast forward" speed has been increased. It used to be only about 10x, now it's about 60x. This is highly appreciated.
    Last edited by Verklagekasper; 09-07-2011 at 11:38 AM.

Bronze Member
    Level completed: 54%, Points required for next Level: 93
    Overall activity: 10.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thanks
    Hello, I have an 40PFL8606H with 014.038.005 FW + LaCie Mobile Disk 160 GB. USB recording with no issues.
    To improve:
    - The option to schedule a recording with the DVB-EPG, as commented before. With DVB-EPG you can record a program but after you cannot watch that recording, no records list, must switch to IP-EPG again.
    - The ability to manage a record in course as the timeshift does: pause, rewind, etc. At this point is not possible to make any of this operations during recording.

Thanks

Level completed: 2%, Points required for next Level: 197
    Achievements:

Level
    Thanks

Thumbs down

Hi, I have a 32PFL7406H with 010.105 firmware. I have a Western Digital 500Gb USB harddisk attached and a wired internet connection. I use a Ziggo CI+ module. Recording works sometimes, but most of the times (80-90% of the cases) I get error messages like "expired" or something like "failed". Currently this is not a workable solution, so it would be nice if a new firmware update provides improvements in this area. Moreover it would be nice if apps like TuneIn are available when the TV is recording a TV show.

Thanks,
    Fokko

Bronze Member
    Level completed: 24%, Points required for next Level: 153
    Achievements:

Level
    Thanks

IP-EPG denies recording of shows on digital channels, claiming they were analog

Hi,

I have a 32PFL7486K/02 TV and a CI+ module from Unitymedia in Germany.
    When trying to program a recording of a certain show of the channels RTL or RTL II by the IP-EPG, I receive a warning-messagebox claiming that the channels were analogue, and I cannot program a recording. I can only program a recording manually, ie. by hitting the options button on the remote control and do a manual recording by selecting the channel and time. So far, I only have this problem on those two channels. Other channels seem fine.

Cheers,
    Burkhard

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast