• Topic Tools
  • Display
  • Bookmark and Share
    Silver Member
    Level completed: 38%, Points required for next Level: 188
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    1 year registered1000 Experience PointsNew Achievement!

Level
    Thanks

HTS 5220. Positioning the speakers

Hello Philips. I´ve got a question about the best way of placing the speakers of my HTS 5220 (by the way, it sounds great !!!).
    Watching the tutorials on the philips web site, it´s told that the mean unit must be placed x cm under the TV set. I don´t understand why this is said. As far as i know, the mean unit has not speakers, so i think does not matter where you place it.

Dear Philips, am I wrong? is really important to place the mean unit under the TV set ? has it some hidden probe that helps to configurate the sound ?

Diamond Member
    Level completed: 9%, Points required for next Level: 365
    Overall activity: 25.0%
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender

Level
    Thanks
    Hi miro9000,

Can't answer your question. But this is some tips I found from Philips... See if this helps:

1. Place your speakers equal distance from each other and from the listening area, about 2 to 3 meters apart, roughly in the shape of an equilateral triangle. This improves the sound in the center of the room, expanding the stereo width of music and the surround sound experience for movies.
    2. Place your speakers in line with your ears. Our ears are especially sensitive to high frequencies, so sounds produced at ear level will let you hear more detail.
    3. Try to place the speakers at least 50 centimeters away from the walls. This lets the sound spread through your space for a room-filling sound experience.
    4. The subwoofer can be placed anywhere: in the corner of the room, or closer to your TV, as long as it’s at least 1 meter away from the main unit. This prevents the bass vibrations from interfering with the disc reader.
    5. Leave about 10 centimeters clearance between the subwoofer and the wall for the best bass performance. This gap allows for sound to carry with the airflow.
    6. Obsessed with replicating the ‘live’ experience? Then place your subwoofer on the right side of your TV and Sound Hub centre unit – the bass and brass section of an orchestra are traditionally located on that side.
    Great sound also depends on your home environment. A room with curtains and carpet helps to dampen the noise reflections for more authentic sound. Speakers and subwoofers out in the open also produce better sound – so avoid placing them in an enclosed shelf and cupboard space.

Silver Member
    Achievements:

Level
    Thanks
    Thanks kwinnie. All those tips sounds logical. That´s the way I position my HTS. But look at this tutorial http://youtu.be/fHtz8VmRFNQ
    A strange explanation ...

Gold Member
    Level completed: 12%, Points required for next Level: 265
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thanks
    hehe nice vid!

i guess this is related to the cable length so in order to have the speakers positioned correctly but still be able to connect them to the main unit it is the best to put the mains in the way the vid says

course you can place it somewhere else but you have to be aware that the cable size is limited and this may can lead to misplaced speakers and bad stereo sound

Level completed: 63%, Points required for next Level: 260
    Overall activity: 16.0%
    Achievements:
    1 year registered1000 Experience PointsNew Achievement!10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thanks
    Dear miro9000,

We are glad to hear your positive comments upon our products.
    Regarding your question, we have some mistakes made in the video tutorial- we mean
    “ center speaker unit” to be placed 16cm under the TV, not the “main unit”.
    For your Sound Hub, which doesn’t come with a center speaker unit, this point is not applicable.

Hence, you are right- for the “main unit” (in your case the Blu-ray disc player), it does not matter
    where you put it. Improvement will be made upon our video tutorial.

Thanks so much for your question. Hope you lots of fun in the forum discussion.
    Forum Mod

Silver Member
    Achievements:

Level
    Thanks
    Thanks Remko for your answer. Your explanation is very clear. Maybe I´m a little bit fussy with this tutorials online , but my job is about usability and costumer experience.