• Topic Tools
  • Display
  • Bookmark and Share
    Silver Member
    Level completed: 62%, Points required for next Level: 114
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    1 year registered1 year registered1000 Experience PointsNew Achievement!
    Awards:
    Community Award

Level
    Thanks

New firmware for HTS5590

Dear Philips,

Very nice that there is a new firmware for the HTS5590 (who now plays DVD discs like "New kids Turbo") but why oh why is this update only available as download via the website and thus USB and not as "online" update via the HTS it self ?

And why oh why is the so often reported problem that the HTS 5590 can not be switched to radio FM listning via EasyLink but only with the original remote ???

Strange enough is this Radio listingen (and more) "Widget" available after the 1st time connecting the HTS to a Philips TV, but after the next start of the TV all the "widgets" are replaced by one single PHILIPS HTS "widget" that has NO possibility to switch to radio listing !!

A solution is long overdue, this has been brought on Philips attention for more than a year now, please work on it !

Diamond Member
    Level completed: 36%, Points required for next Level: 900
    Overall activity: 100.0%
    Achievements:
    Recommendation Second ClassTagger First ClassOverdrive1000 Experience PointsNew Achievement!
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level
    Thanks
    Hi,

this "widget" issue (Easylink entries in home menu of the TV) is also often present with the entries of my BDP...

Toengel@Alex

Level completed: 63%, Points required for next Level: 260
    Overall activity: 16.0%
    Achievements:
    1 year registered1000 Experience PointsNew Achievement!10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thanks
    Hi,

Topic moved to: Blu-Ray: Product Support > Blu-Ray HTS Series
    Forum Mod

Level completed: 40%, Points required for next Level: 181
    Overall activity: 10.0%
    Achievements:
    1 year registered1000 Experience PointsNew Achievement!

Level
    Thanks
    Hi,

I found out that if I start up my HTS5580/12 from radio source and then (after a while) I turn on my 32PFL5605H/12 all the "widget" will be there in the TV Home menu.

Andrea

Diamond Member
    Achievements:
    Recommendation Second ClassTagger First ClassOverdrive1000 Experience PointsNew Achievement!
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level
    Thanks
    Hi,

same behaviour with the BDP - starting the BDP before the TV => all entries are in the TV home menu... the other way round, only "Philips BDP" is in the TV home menu...

Toengel@Alex

Silver Member
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Community Award

Level
    Thanks
    I brought this under the attention from Philips at least 6 times over the last year. I can live with this "single" PHILIPS HTS "widget" IF it would be possible to switch to FM Radio listing. But NOT, and Philips is as stubborn as a goat it seems. I really can not believe that Philips has now many times admitted this omision but does not resolve it ! Let's make things better......

Achievements:

Level
    Thanks
    Hi Muccie,

you mean that you can not turn on the HTS in FM radio mode? I do it by pressing the green key on remote.

Andrea

Diamond Member
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level
    Thanks
    Hi,

i think he means, that the HTS does not provide an entry in the TV home menu for "HTS FM Radio"...

Toengel@Alex

Silver Member
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Community Award

Level
    Thanks
    Hi Andrea, On WHICH remote do you press the green key ? My "problem" is that if you use the (Philips) TV remote (with EasyLink of course) there is no known way to switch the HTS from lets say "Disc" to "FM Radio". In very early versions of the HTS firmware, serveral "widgets" for functions like "Listen to FM Radio", "Search iPod" etc where "installed" in the TV "Home Screen". But in later firmware-versions of the HTS, this is all "combined" in the one single "Widget" named PHILIPS HTS (in capitals). However: this "widget" only "calls" the HTS and with some fiddeling it is possible to go to the HTS menu, from where there is NO possibility to go to FM Radio.

The idea behind EasyLink is that with the TV remote one should will control everything.

The HTS remote of course has a dedicated key for Radio, but who wants to use 2 remotes ?

So: I am very curious on which remote you press the green key to go to FM radio. If it is the TV remote, I am curious where you found that, because Philips (Germany) themselves wrote me many months ago that they had overlooked this and it would be corrected in a newer HTS firmware version: NOT !!!

VERY annoying is that every now and then this "old" "Widgets" do show up, then they actually work BUT the next time you switch on the TV, these "extra" "widgets" are gone. These "extra" "widgets" AGAIN appeared after the 52.1 firmware update, and disappeared again.

So there is:

1. missing FM radion function in the HTS EasyLink menu
    2. a very annoying problem with the HTS and/or TV firmware that "reinstalls" the "extra" "widgets" every now and AND let them disappear the next switch-on....
    Last edited by Muccie; 08-04-2011 at 12:49 PM.

Achievements:

Level
    Thanks
    Hey Muccie,

I use the HTS rc to turn it on (because when I go back home I just want to listen to the radio) but then, when I want to watch some TV I use only the TV rc, finding all the HTS icons (or keep calling them "widgets") in the TV home menu. I have V51.01 firmware.
    I agree with you that it should be normal to have a full integrated TV home menu just by pressing ONE time, ONE button, on ONE single remote control, but since my user's behaviours made me find this "solution", I admit I didn't even sent an e-mail to Philips regarding this problem...

Andrea

Silver Member
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Community Award

Level
    Thanks
    Dear Andrea,

What type of Philips TV do you have ? I have a 46 PFL 9705 and as I wrote: when I reinstall the HTS, all the "widgets" or "icons", including "listen to FM radio" are there. The moment I restart the TV, all "widgets" or "icons" are replace by one single "widget" or "icon" named PHILIPS HTS. This would not be a real problem IF it was possible to switch to FM radio via the sub-menu's of this "widget" or "icon", but that function is missing. However, I tried your "green button" solution: works indeed, with the HTS rc that is. That function is NOT described to my knowledge, so a good find. But: it would be MUCH better if Philips:

1. would explain WHY these "widgets" or "icons" kinf of "come and go as they like"
    2 why from the PHILIPS HTS "widget" or "icon" it is not possible to switch to FM radio
    3. why it takes AGES to solve this very annoying "problem"
    4. why at least 2 promisses that "it" will be solved in the next firmware itteration are not lived up to

Cees
    Last edited by Muccie; 08-05-2011 at 07:00 AM. Reason: typo's