Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  • Topic Tools
  • Display
  • Bookmark and Share
    Level completed: 52%, Points required for next Level: 97
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    1 year registered1000 Experience PointsNew Achievement!

Level
    Thanks

YouTube on BDP3200/05

Just bought the BDP3200/05 and upgraded firmware to V1.63. Maybe I was being naïve but I assumed the Youtube functionality would be like http://www.youtube.com/leanback, set to TV mode. I found the menu quite unusable, so much so I've given up on it.

The first thing I noticed was I launched straight into a video clip on Hacking-gate. Couldn't it start at a different landing page, not the video du jour?

The next thing was it was very difficult to see which category was being highlighted. Looking carefully, and comparing to leanback, the red box was missing on selection, and all that showed was a *very* faint glow.

In leanback, when you click on "Discover" you get a really good interface, especially with the menu on the left. The poor interface was made worse because I found the remote keypad very slow to respond (and requiring quite firm presses, though not noticebly so during set up)

Lastly, and I don't really know if this is practical, are there plans to allow sign-in? Having your own playlists is really essential.

I can only hope there will be further development, and further upgrades soon. I noticed the firmware for BDP3250/12 includes Picasa.
    Last edited by Philips; 07-22-2011 at 09:33 AM. Reason: Changed Picasso into Picasa :-)

Diamond Member
    Level completed: 9%, Points required for next Level: 365
    Overall activity: 25.0%
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Frequent Poster

Level
    Thanks
    Hi Kizzi,
    I thought the Youtube function means the leanback as well. But apparently, there are some discrepancies to the link you supplied. I like your suggestion for the "sign-in". But wonder if that should be allowed by Youtube instead of Philips(have no ideas actually). For your point one, I am wondering if everyone is experiencing this problem or can this be somehow solved by configuring the settings. I will later try on my device. Update you later on this.
    Regards, Kwinnie
    Last edited by kwinnie; 07-26-2011 at 10:12 AM.

Achievements:

Level
    Thanks
    Hi Kwinnie

The Picasa option is only mentioned in the release notes for BDP3200/12, specifically for 1.67. I was curious to see if a sign-in option was provided (for sure Picasa doesn't make sense without that), so I tried it in my BDP3200/05 to see what would happen, and the answer is nothing - it updates OK but no Picasa.

I played around with the BDP again to see if my initial impressions were mistaken, but regretably not. YouTube as offered here is pants. I've obviously wandered into someone else's playlist, and it feels like TheirTube.

There is a search, but the character input is so laborious and the channel created with your search hits doesn't save from standby. There are no options to do anything more, all the bits that made YouTube good have been excised.

My assumption, and maybe this should go to the wishlist, is that the Net TV app for YouTube would be available directly from the top menu (Disc-USB-Settings-YouTube), skipping out other Net TV app selections all together. That shouldn't be too hard, I imagine. I'd suppose modified code for Net TV could be ported from a BDP5200 to a BDP3200 without a hardware change, but Philips wants to maintain differentials.

For the whole of NetTV that's perfectly OK, but the only reason why the haven't just ported the YouTube app could be because YouTube is the jewel in the crown of Net TV (useful app are hard to invent) and they want to create a YouTube app differential, but here have only succeeded in disappointing.

Kizzi
    Last edited by Philips; 07-22-2011 at 09:32 AM. Reason: Changed Picasso into Picasa :-)

Diamond Member
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Frequent Poster

Level
    Thanks
    this is quite weird if you upgraded the firmware to 1.67 without one more Apps on Picasa. (The support website actually said 1.66. anyways, i guess we are talking about the same thing- Picasa version). Still not be able to see my device... but i will definitely check mine.
    Last edited by Philips; 07-22-2011 at 11:28 AM.

Diamond Member
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Frequent Poster

Level
    Thanks
    Kizzi, meanwhile, do you have out-of-sync issue when playing DVDs or Blu-rays? i saw another user is having such a prob, but so far I don't see this happen to me (though I m not with the newest FW)
    http://www.supportforum.philips.com/...e-not-in-Synch
    Last edited by kwinnie; 07-22-2011 at 08:53 AM.

Diamond Member
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Frequent Poster

Level
    Thanks
    So, referring to your another post in the "not-in-sync" issue, the Picasa FW (1.67) is only applicable to the models with a serial number that starts with KX. Unfortunately, mine starts with GS.
    http://www1.picturepush.com/photo/a/...mg/6149224.jpg

So I finally figure it out what happen here and there on BDP3200:
    There are models with serial number starts with KX, GS, FC, HC

Only models start with KX > FW 1.67 > Picasa > more complicated thing is only /12 not /05 version

Others start with GS, FC, HC >FW 1.66 > Youtube & playability enhanced > both /12 and /05 version
    Last edited by Philips; 07-22-2011 at 11:28 AM.

Diamond Member
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Frequent Poster

Level
    Thanks
    And yes, checked on my player, your points are all valid for youtube.
    But looking into Philips support website documents, it mentioned no where this is gonna be Youtube Leanback. But I actually agree. It would be easier to navigate around leanback.
    Last edited by Philips; 07-22-2011 at 11:29 AM.

Achievements:

Level
    Thanks
    Hi kwinnie

YouTube Leanback for the BDP3200 is mentioned here:

http://pulse.philips.com/blog/2011/0...outube-for-tv/

Ultimately, I'm disappointed with the YouTube rendition. Not what I was expecting at all. However, I'm sure there will be more firmware updates, so one can only hope this will addressed in the future.

Kizzi

Diamond Member
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Frequent Poster

Level
    Thanks
    Am I correct that if that's Youtube leanback, it will be of exact UI like this: [URL="http://www.youtube.com/leanback"]?
    Just wonder if someone have a Leanback screen to share and wonder if Philips mean to us that this is already leanback.

Level completed: 50%, Points required for next Level: 101
    Achievements:

Level
    Thanks
    Could somebody help me please, I have a 3200 bluray player with youtube, but when i select youtube it just shows the youtube logo nothing more, I am connected via ethernet cable, many thanks in advance

Diamond Member
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Frequent Poster

Level
    Thanks
    Sorry to sound old-fashioned. But have you tried disconnect the ethernet cable and connect that again? Power off that and power on again?
    If you have already done that, please see if you have the newest software.

Achievements:

Level
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by davesaints View Post
    Could somebody help me please, I have a 3200 bluray player with youtube, but when i select youtube it just shows the youtube logo nothing more, I am connected via ethernet cable, many thanks in advance
    Do let us know if you get it working. Can you access from the ethernet cable you attached to the player? Try swapping the cable over to your PC to check the cable isn't the problem. What firmware release are you on?

When you get it working, I'd love to hear what you think of PHILIPS cut-back version of YouTube for the BDP3200 series. Disappointed you didn't go for a player with Net TV is I think the anticipated response ;-)

Achievements:

Level
    Thanks
    I have now bought a Philips usb adapter,( luckily got it half price in a second hand store, what a rip off €50 for a new one! ) but the problem is the same, the machine cannot find the ip address, but when i choose to connect with an unsecured router in the same building it works, but too slow because of the weak signal. So I assume there's a problem with my router, would anyone know what this might be?
    Thanks in advance

Quote Originally Posted by Kizzi View Post
    Do let us know if you get it working. Can you access from the ethernet cable you attached to the player? Try swapping the cable over to your PC to check the cable isn't the problem. What firmware release are you on?

When you get it working, I'd love to hear what you think of PHILIPS cut-back version of YouTube for the BDP3200 series. Disappointed you didn't go for a player with Net TV is I think the anticipated response ;-)

Achievements:

Level
    Thanks
    It sounds like the security protocol on your router doesn't match the settings on the BDP3200. Having the same password will only work if they match. Check the settings are WPA/WPA2 for both. If you just bought the USB (WiFi) adaptor, you must have been trying with an ethernet cable before. That would have just worked straight off.

Achievements:

Level
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Kizzi View Post
    It sounds like the security protocol on your router doesn't match the settings on the BDP3200. Having the same password will only work if they match. Check the settings are WPA/WPA2 for both. If you just bought the USB (WiFi) adaptor, you must have been trying with an ethernet cable before. That would have just worked straight off.
    It was exactly the same with the ethernet cable, so it's obviously something to do with my router, as i said before the adaptor works because i managed to connect to another router. When i do an auto config it says, ip address not found so only limited connectivity available. It's the same with ethernet or usb

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Tags for this Topic