I bought my first Philips TV (37pfl5405h) two weeks ago, and I don’t regret buying it. The picture quality is very good, and the EasyLink-feature works perfectly with my AV-receiver (Yamaha RX-V467). There are, however, some issues with the usability that you people in the Philips should take into consideration.

Before I changed my TV to Philips, one of the most commonly used remote control buttons after volume and channel change was the “info”-button. You know, the one that pops up now/next –info of the current channel, and in case the program guide is open, shows more info about the selected program.

Since Philips does not have now/next-feature when changing channels, having a shortcut to “What’s on”-display would be especially important. It could also act as a shortcut to program guide’s “More info”-display. There already is a perfect place for it: the blue button, which currently does nothing.

This also popped into my mind:

I’ve noticed that Philips’ menu-based functionality hasn’t been praised by the users, and I don’t wonder why. There was an excellent suggestion in this thread
http://www.supportforum.philips.com/...gation-buttons
that there should be a setup menu for customized shortcuts. Sadly, Philips answered that there will be no such update for old models. I can think of two reasons for that:

a) Philips wants to save this for the future models, because new models must always have new features.
b) Adding an extra menu requires extensive programming, which they are unwilling to do.

I’m completely ok with the reason A: business is business. But if the reason is B, then here is my simple suggestion: please make color buttons work as customizable shortcuts. No extra menu is needed if they work like this:
1. The user first goes to the selected feature like program guide, sleep timer etc.
2. Then he/she presses one of the color buttons for something like 5 seconds and voila, it turns into a shortcut for that feature.

Although I’m not a professional programmer, I’m quite sure this kind of software update could be done relatively easily. Current color buttons are shortcuts to the features that most people probably never need, so why not to give users a possibility to put them in the good use?