• Topic Tools
  • Display
  • Bookmark and Share
    Level completed: 45%, Points required for next Level: 110
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    1 year registered1000 Experience PointsNew Achievement!

Level
    Thanks

100Hz Natural Motion frame rate problem

Hello everyone,

I have recently purchased a 46PFL5805 TV with a really good deal. I have been checking lcd tvs from time to time for around a year now and when I saw a 100HZ LED ambilight tv finally on a good deal I just thought I should get it. I think that ambilight and especially 100hz really makes a difference so I got this tv and not other brands.

Picture quality is good, ambilight is nice, tv is nice all around but I noticed a problem with 100HZ natural motion. I have tested it with a few 720p .mkv format movies from usb hdd, and sd analog tv reception channels. Smooth frames can clearly be seen and theres indeed a huge difference between natural motion on and off.

Problem is from time to time 100hz natural motion seems to turn off for a second or so right after the scene completely changes or a dramatic explosion etc occurs. Natural motion is cut and it is very disburting to see that. I have tried it at different settings maximum, minimum hd100hz on anf off, with different movies, with different inputs (vga and usb) and with analog tv channels. Results are the same, 100Hz natural motion just cant be consistent and it is better to watch movies without natural motion and 100hz off than to see your frame rate dropping down from time to time.

I wonder whether my tv is defective but I also noticed a similar frame drop on a 32pfl7605 at a showroom. It seems like 7000 series also have this problem but I'm not sure. I don't know what else to do. I'm even considering to return this tv back and pick up another brand since this tv can't do what it was supposed to do (100hz natural motion). I always told my friends that ambilight was great and philips was the tv to get but I'm at a loss here

I was hoping that maybe you guys could help me with this problem Maybe at a specific tv settings this problem does not occur (or occurs very rarely like once every 10 mins instead of every 10 seconds). I tried some things with no success. I also thought that maybe getting an external dvd player (3880) will ease the tv from decoding the .mkv format so it can suplly uninterrupted natural motion. However my hopes went down the drain when I saw that tv reception channels also had a drop in frame rate.

I'm open to suggestions that may help with the problem. Thanks for your help

Platinum Member
    Level completed: 11%, Points required for next Level: 359
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:
    1 year registeredTagger Second Class1000 Experience PointsNew Achievement!

Level
    Thanks
    How do you play the MKV files? Which player is used?
    Make sure that you set the option for 23.976 Hz at the player output. Else, you will have dropped frames at specific time intervals. If you measure the time the "problem" occurs and is the same, then this is a player problem.

Level completed: 45%, Points required for next Level: 110
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    1 year registered1000 Experience PointsNew Achievement!

Level
    Thanks
    I play the mkv files directly from external hdd via usb connection to tv. I also tried to play them on computer connected via vga port. They are pretty much the same maybe the vga connection is a bit worse since the computer is not new.

However I also noticed it on tv channels. 100Hz natural motion is not there from time to time and there is a definate feeling of a drop in frame rates (for a second or so especially right after the scene changes).