Platinum Member
    Level completed: 34%, Points required for next Level: 401
    Overall activity: 20.0%
    Achievements:
    1 year registered5000 Experience Points1000 Experience PointsNew Achievement!

Level
    Thanks

German Videociety buffering performance really slow

Hello,

I tried to rent a video on the store the first time and it needed 50min for buffering until it could be started. This was too long for me. I watched it one day later.

Is it expected to take such a long time to buffer the movie?
    I already described that in the thread of videociety announcement, but it might make it easier for tracking to discuss that problem in a seperate thread.

TV: 42PFL7695K/02
    Firmware: 0.140.39.0

Cable 32MBit, wired ethernet connection. PC on the same ethernet wire showed 26MBit down performance in speed test and 990KBit in up performance.
    SD card is the one from Philips. I also see this on another kingston class 4 sd card.

To test the SD card speed:
    I copied a file of 590MB to the Philips SD card from local disk on a computer. It took round about 2min 15s (Windows showed that as remainning time after calculating that). Speed (as shown in the Windows 7 copy dialog) was round about 4.25 MB/s while having 4.15 MB/s in the beginning and 4.38 MB/s as a higher peak when being in the middle of the copy.

This should be a little above the spec as it is required from class 4 SD cards (4MB/s).

50mins = 50x60s = 3000s
    4MB/s x 3000s = 12000MB

Assuming SD card as a weakness in the speed game would mean videociety buffers 12GB on SD card with 4GB to play a movie! We are 3 times below the SD card speed.

There must be other reasons for that performance lag. I can influence SD card, Internet connection and both are not gating.

Anyone experiencing the same?

Just check with the Werner football game and please post your experience!

Werner football game needs round about 4mins and 45s to play on my side.

Philips, what is the expectation of duration to buffer a movie, the Werner football game?

Greets

Diamond Member
    Level completed: 32%, Points required for next Level: 960
    Overall activity: 57.0%
    Achievements:
    Recommendation Second ClassTagger First ClassOverdrive1000 Experience PointsNew Achievement!
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level
    Thanks
    Hi,

I managed yesterday to watch "Traffic" for 2 hours (yes, I got access to Net TV - but it took over 2.5 HOURS). Buffering was below one minute...

However, the movie stopped abruptly after 2 hours and could not be continued...

Toengel@Alex

Bronze Member
    Level completed: 59%, Points required for next Level: 124
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    1 year registered1000 Experience PointsNew Achievement!
    Level
    Thanks
    Guys,

did you try another SD card (I suppose you're using the one sent by Philips)?

I've tried this myself and can see this slow-ish buffering speed as well, but that's only with the Philips SD card (I have one that's branded as "Philips"). I cross-checked with another one (16 GB CnMemory Class 6) and buffering delays are acceptable with this card (the Werner short movie is playing back with almost no delay, it's just a matter of seconds while we're talking about several minutes with the Philips card).

@ smart:
    Your assumptions are theoretically correct, but I think you need to take packetized data transfer into account for bechnmarking the SD card. While it may be okay to write one continous stream to the card, many little packets of the content (let's assume a few hundred KBs each) may actually reveal a flash memory's bottle neck).

E.g. try to put a single file with 100MB onto the card and split the same file into chunks of 512KB each. Writing the chunks to the card might actually take some more time. I think that's where the problem is (different SD cards = different specs of flash memory and therefore reduced / worse delays in write processing).

DerShortyy
    Quote Originally Posted by smart View Post
    Hello,

Anyone experiencing the same?

Just check with the Werner football game and please post your experience!

Werner football game needs round about 4mins and 45s to play on my side.

Philips, what is the expectation of duration to buffer a movie, the Werner football game?

Greets
    Hi @all!

I can NOT confirm your experience. I watched a couple of movies now, also the Werner football game.
    It only took a few seconds 20-30s till all movies was ready to play, no matter which size they had.
    I don´t use the philips SD Card. I bought a 8GB ( SDHC ) card a couple months ago. In my opinion there was something told about the SD Card issue in the videociety announcement by philips. Strange that this issue occures with the SD Card sent by philips.

Maybe you should try other SD Cards with SDHC

Best regards

Platinum Member
    Achievements:

Level
    Thanks
    I experience this with two different sd cards. One is the one from Philips, the other is a kingston sd card. Both class 4. Videociety says I should try clas 6 or 10. But just buying more and more sd cards without knowing this will help is a bad option.

But I have no idea, what to do. Good that this is only on my side, so I should be able to solve this.

Diamond Member
    Level completed: 32%, Points required for next Level: 960
    Overall activity: 57.0%
    Achievements:
    Recommendation Second ClassTagger First ClassOverdrive1000 Experience PointsNew Achievement!
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level
    Thanks
    Hi,

what happens if you format the SD card on your PC (not quick format, do a complete format).

Toengel@Alex

Platinum Member
    Achievements:

Level
    Thanks
    @Toengel:
    I did a complete format on the Philips SD card. It took round about 15min, a little more, but not much, to complete the formatting. From speed, I think this should be in specified range.
    Then I plugged the sd card into the TV, the TV did again a format and afterwards, I rent the Werner football game. Speed to buffer was in the same range as described before.

@Philips:
    Is there a way to check the philips sd card, if it fulfills all requirements to be used for the video store? I do not want to buy more and more sd cards, just because this can't be debugged otherwise.

Platinum Member
    Achievements:

Level
    Thanks
    The problem is now solved on my side.

I got a new SD card today from Philips (the exchange of the motherboard made them think it is a new TV which needs one). This sd card is also 4GB class 4, but no Philips Logo, it is labeled from kingston.

From user point of view, I can see a difference between all 3 sc cards I tried. But the newest one is working very fine with Videociety. Not even 5s until the Werner movie starts playing.

So as a summery:
    I have three sd cards:
    1. Kingston 8GB class 4
    2. Philips 4 GB class 4
    3. Kingston 4GB class 4

I bought/got them in the above order. Card 3 works very fine with Videociety, card 1 and 2 are having nearly 5min time to buffer for the Werner football game and 50min buffer time for normal movie. Card 3 has not even 5s until Werner football game starts. All cards are working fine on a PC.

So I can also say Videociety is working really fine.

Nevertheless, there might be others running into that problem.

Platinum Member
    Achievements:

Level
    Thanks
    Just watched the free movie which is available currently and the time to start of the movie was only seconds.

Works really good now!