• Topic Tools
  • Display
  • Bookmark and Share

Topiced View

Level completed: 72%, Points required for next Level: 57
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    1 year registered1000 Experience PointsNew Achievement!

Level
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by carlosfm View Post
    Feature:
    Feature:
    Add support for more audio codecs: FLAC, Ogg-Vorbis, APE, etc. - all FREE.
    Note: don't even mention the CPU power needed (!!!), because audio decoding (even high-rez multichannel) is much lighter than full HD video.
    I doubt that is even an option. All the Audio and Video decoding takes place inside specializeds DSPs for the supported codecs and not in software with a general purpose CPU. Imagin the processing power that would be needed to decode a H.264 1080p stream on a general purpose CPU. And i'm not even talking about all the picture quality enhancement algorithmes that take place.

The general purpose IP-Core inside the PNX85500 SoC (which is the center of our TV550 platform based TVs) is nothing more than a 32Bit MIPS32 24K running at 300MHz. And i doubt it has a lot of cycles to spare for additional audio codecs - even if the system design would allow to do that kind of stuff outside the audio processing chain.

All who want to have a little insight into the TV550 platform i highly recommend a look at this presentation: http://www.hotchips.org/archives/hc2...-%20090825.pdf

cheers
    cipher
    Last edited by cipher; 08-30-2011 at 03:00 PM. Reason: typo

Tags for this Topic