Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  • Topic Tools
  • Display
  • Bookmark and Share
    Level completed: 41%, Points required for next Level: 119
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    1 year registered1000 Experience PointsNew Achievement!

Level
    Thanks

Angry Intermittent sound cut-off with HDMI connected DVR

Hi everyone, I'm having a problem with my brand new 32pfl8605 TV and I hope soomeone can help me.

I'm playing everything through a DVR unit (AC Ryan 76120) and the sound keeps cutting out briefly, then coming back. There is no seeming pattern to it in terms of what and when it plays and the picture is unaffected.

I've posted about this in the AC Ryan forums and so far none of their suggested tweaks to the setup of thir product have made any difference.

Just yesterday I updated the TV firmware to the latest version (140.040) because this seemed to have a fix: "Intermittent sound lost while watching TV or a connected device via HDMI." But it's actually made the problem WORSE.

Before, the sound would stop for maybe half a second, but now it cuts out for a good 1-2 full seconds, which leads me to think that this is not a problem with the DVR after all, but with the TV itself.

I've tried all the HDMI sockets, a new HDMI cable, component connection (picture was so awful I didn't even plug in the sound cables).

The only thing that temporarily solves the problem is to restart the DVR multiple times until it stops happening. That's OK until I switch everything off for the night, but doing that every time I sit down to watch TV is a pain the arse.

Has anyone had similar problems and if so, how did you solve it?

Thanks for reading.

Silver Member
    Level completed: 62%, Points required for next Level: 115
    Overall activity: 56.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thanks
    I have a similar problem - as reported often enough here (40PFL9705 and a Technisat DigiKorder K2 via HDMI), but you won't get an official statement here.

It seems to be a hardware related problem, that gets sometimes worse and sometimes
    better, depending on the firmware and the workarounds they try to implement in software.

But this is my impression and my guess, as I said you won't get an official statement,
    what to do.

Sorry,
    Gerhard

Achievements:

Level
    Thanks
    Thanks Gerhard, I just switched off Easylink and that seems to be helping but it's only been 24hrs so maybe I'm just lucky at the moment.

The AC Ryan DVR seems to have some long-standing problems with HDMI CEC which is the standard Easylink is based on. Maybe your sat box has similar issues.

Bronze Member
    Level completed: 97%, Points required for next Level: 7
    Achievements:
    1 year registered500 Experience PointsNew Achievement!

Level
    Thanks

Me too,

I have the same problem. Would be interesting to know if anyone who has a pfl8605 series TV doesn't know what we're talking about. Upgrading the firmware didn't help. I've contacted Philips support and will share anything I'll find out from them here. The girl I talked to said she never heard about this issue before but seems to be very common when you read the other Topics in this forum.

Achievements:

Level
    Thanks
    I'm calling it fixed. Latest firmware plus diabling Easylink has done the job. The sound still cuts out for approx. 1 second right when I start something playing, but after that it's all good.

Bronze Member
    Achievements:

Level
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by infraspace View Post
    I'm calling it fixed. Latest firmware plus diabling Easylink has done the job. The sound still cuts out for approx. 1 second right when I start something playing, but after that it's all good.
    Thanks, You might be right. I discovered that the only way I could update to version 40 was with a USB-drive. When just updating the TV via the internet, you get version 25. In other words to get the latest version of the firmware you have to download the update file from Philips.com. Hopefully this is solved now. Time will tell...

Thanks again.

P

Silver Member
    Level completed: 47%, Points required for next Level: 214
    Overall activity: 16.0%
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience PointsNew Achievement!Veteran

Level
    Thanks
    I got called the day before yesterday that m (40") TV is waiting for ordered spare parts, and I'll probably have to wait another week before I get it back.
    Although it's being serviced for the backlight going wild, I also mentioned the sounddrop on HDMI connections, so they were going to do a endurance test...
    We'll see in one week...

Bronze Member
    Achievements:

Level
    Thanks

How did it go?

Quote Originally Posted by Chrissie18 View Post
    I got called the day before yesterday that m (40") TV is waiting for ordered spare parts, and I'll probably have to wait another week before I get it back.
    Although it's being serviced for the backlight going wild, I also mentioned the sounddrop on HDMI connections, so they were going to do a endurance test...
    We'll see in one week...
    Was wondering if you had any luck with the service? Were they able to fix the sound drops?

For me the update didn't work so now the only option I have is to turn to customer support..

Silver Member
    Achievements:

Level
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by PatrickB View Post
    Was wondering if you had any luck with the service? Were they able to fix the sound drops?

For me the update didn't work so now the only option I have is to turn to customer support..
    Hi,

sorry for the delayed reaction.
    I got my TV finally back! The first time they returned it, it could directly go back, because there were two spots that were slightly darker.
    They replaced almost everything (I think only the border is the same )
    The good news is that the backlight seems to work now (no longer 'stipes' or spots), but I think I've seen it already once that there was a sound/video drop...

But I would always advice you to contact support, so that you can build up a dossier, so that if they say you have to wait until the next FW upgrade (as I've been told that most of the drops have been solved and the additional once will be tackled in the following upgrades), and it stil remains after that upgrade, you can point out that you've already called in the defect, just in case the guarantee...

Hopefully next week I've got more time to watch some movies on the MediaCenter so I can give more conclusive result on the fix.

Chris.

Silver Member
    Achievements:

Level
    Thanks
    Hi,

forgot to tell that I just discovered last week that the viewing angle of my repaired TV has become remarkably better than before the repair (they've replaced everything, so also the panel)

Chris

Level completed: 70%, Points required for next Level: 61
    Achievements:
    3 months registered500 Experience PointsNew Achievement!

Level
    Thanks

Sound cut off on 47PFL7666 model connected via HDMI on SHD85 decoder

I meet similar issue with model 47PFL7666 LED connected via HDMI on SHD85 decoder provided by french ISP "ORANGE" (France Telecom).
    When watching TV, I've sound drop issue whatever the HDMI port used.
    I've seen on Philips support site that the 0.14.93.0 version fixes that issue however I would say that it's wrong because this issue occurs even after upgrading latest SW (0.14.93.0 version).
    By the way, I've seen on Philips Forums that this very big and strong issue met by many Philips customers, known on many of their products and I dont understand why their support team says that it isn't their own issue reporting the issue onto the decoder.
    Up to now, I've a good opinion on Philips trademark and I hope they're working hard to fix this issue as soon as possible. I'm not sure I'll be able to keep the TV with this bug for a long time. I asked Philips keeping me informed as soon as possible after fixing this bug and indicating fix SW version.

Quote Originally Posted by infraspace View Post
    Hi everyone, I'm having a problem with my brand new 32pfl8605 TV and I hope soomeone can help me.

I'm playing everything through a DVR unit (AC Ryan 76120) and the sound keeps cutting out briefly, then coming back. There is no seeming pattern to it in terms of what and when it plays and the picture is unaffected.

I've posted about this in the AC Ryan forums and so far none of their suggested tweaks to the setup of thir product have made any difference.

Just yesterday I updated the TV firmware to the latest version (140.040) because this seemed to have a fix: "Intermittent sound lost while watching TV or a connected device via HDMI." But it's actually made the problem WORSE.

Before, the sound would stop for maybe half a second, but now it cuts out for a good 1-2 full seconds, which leads me to think that this is not a problem with the DVR after all, but with the TV itself.

I've tried all the HDMI sockets, a new HDMI cable, component connection (picture was so awful I didn't even plug in the sound cables).

The only thing that temporarily solves the problem is to restart the DVR multiple times until it stops happening. That's OK until I switch everything off for the night, but doing that every time I sit down to watch TV is a pain the arse.

Has anyone had similar problems and if so, how did you solve it?

Thanks for reading.

Platinum Member
    Level completed: 4%, Points required for next Level: 482
    Achievements:
    Tagger Second ClassNew Achievement!Veteran5000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thanks
    Hello,

have you installaed the latest firmware available for your TV, isn't it?

Regards

Achievements:

Level
    Thanks

Intermittent sound cut-off on 47PFL7666 connected via HDMI on SHD85 Samsung decoder

Quote Originally Posted by Nettle View Post
    Hello,

have you installaed the latest firmware available for your TV, isn't it?

Regards
    Yes, as I said in my message, I've upgraded the latest known software 0.14.93.0 witch might normally fix that issue. I really dont understand Philips strategy regarding that issue witch has a long history on a lot of Philips products according many forums discussions. It's very easy for Philips support team to say that this issue is a third party issue while everybody can understand that this issue is on many Philips TV products connected via HDMI on a lot of differents third party devices. I'm waiting a fix solving definitively this issue in a short term. I've choosed Philips TV for its good brandname but at this time i'm very disappointed about its many not solved products issues.

Diamond Member
    Level completed: 17%, Points required for next Level: 1,167
    Overall activity: 100.0%
    Achievements:
    Recommendation Second ClassTagger First ClassOverdrive1000 Experience PointsNew Achievement!
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level
    Thanks
    Hi,

firmware 14.95 is the latest one...

Toengel@Alex

Achievements:

Level
    Thanks

Intermittent sound cut-off on 47PFL7666 connected via HDMI on SHD85 Samsung decoder

Quote Originally Posted by Toengel View Post
    Hi,

firmware 14.95 is the latest one...

Toengel@Alex
    Yes, I've seen this latest SW on Philips site, however according your site, this SW doesn't fix this issue. I can't lose a lot of time upgrading many softwares on TV without to be sure the software upgrade definitively fixes this issue. Everebody can see on many forums regarding this issue that it's a long history beginning mid 2010. I hope seriously Philips teams have all means and customer's feedbacks for investigation in order to fix definively that issue. I need a quick reply from Philips explaining the situation because I can't continue for a while watching buggy Philips TV.
    Thanks in advance for a prompt answer.
    Last edited by D_Cerak; 02-13-2012 at 10:06 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast