Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  • Topic Tools
  • Display
  • Bookmark and Share
    Diamond Member
    Level completed: 9%, Points required for next Level: 365
    Overall activity: 25.0%
    Achievements:
    1 year registered1000 Experience PointsNew Achievement!
    Awards:
    Frequent Poster

Level
    Thanks
    you are using a FW upgrade ot a USB upgrade?
    Suggest to use USB... more statble...
    Extract folder from the zip file and put the folder (named UPG_ALL with a bin-file in it) to a USB at it's root directory...
    IMPORTANT: Make sure when you are doing an upgrade, you have empty the disc tray.

Level completed: 99%, Points required for next Level: 1
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thanks
    yeah, i did exactly like you say! from usb, no discs, no rename folder and i tried both version eng/ptb. downloaded two times each (no corrupted files) and still fail.

player recognize the file, i press start so show me a fail message and ask to restart in 5s.

player: bdp8000/78 made in brazil i guess

Diamond Member
    Level completed: 1%, Points required for next Level: 1,390
    Overall activity: 100.0%
    Achievements:
    Recommendation Second ClassTagger First ClassOverdrive1000 Experience PointsNew Achievement!
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level
    Thanks
    Hi,

what does the message says (maybe you can make a photo)?

Toengel@Alex

Diamond Member
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Frequent Poster

Level
    Thanks
    what will happen when you restart it?unplug it and try again?

Silver Member
    Level completed: 61%, Points required for next Level: 118
    Achievements:

Level
    Thanks

Firmware update ammendments (Re: BDP8000/78).

Quote Originally Posted by joaosbp View Post
    update fail on bdp8000/78 brazilian version
    I have done the same update, namely from version 1.56 to 1.60, and it does flawlessly work now.

It so happens that when the updated was finished, after the player restarted itself there were problems in the playback of a Blu-Ray disc. But because it was a brand new disc (Star Wars, Episode V) I initially thought that the problem could be related to a pressing issue. I had two consecutive audio dropouts and finally the picture and sound froze completely.

It occurred to me that in past firmware updates it was necessary to carry on a hardware reset after updating, and regardless of the player resetting itself.

To do this you must disconnect the player from the AC mains, wait a few moments and reconnect it.

This should do the trick. In fact, I urge anyone in this forum to the same, regardless of the update results.

And I hope this info can help you out. If the update had errors it wouldn't work in my player as well.
    Last edited by Paulo Roberto Elias; 10-04-2011 at 01:21 PM.

Achievements:

Level
    Thanks
    i have tried everything: different language, different downloads, restart and RESET player two times, format usb flash drive... i'm going to post a video on youtube in few minutes

Achievements:

Level
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by joaosbp View Post
    i have tried everything: different language, different downloads, restart and RESET player two times, format usb flash drive... i'm going to post a video on youtube in few minutes
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=It6tUrFskO8&sns=em

Silver Member
    Achievements:

Level
    Thanks
    Hi, João,

Your video has showed us that you actually could not update your player.

In that case, there is nothing to worry about as far as producing a brick out of your player or requiring service.

In my previous understanding of your message I thought that you had updated the player and as a result it was not working correctly. But since this is not the case, all that it remains to do is to find the correct way to update your set.

Please may I suggest you to do the following?

- first, make sure you are downloading from the Brazilian web site. When I downloaded the firmware I had to get it from the support page, but there is now a direct link in the product page to it. There is a statement in that link referring to a 48.8 MB zipped file, which is exactly what you should get on your hard drive. It may be silly, but use your browser's downloader just in case, because there are downloading software that can produce errors!

- second, make sure that your pen drive is not a fake. There are thousands of counterfeit flash drives being sold in this country that may not show errors upon scanning. If you use a Kingston as I do, look at the drive's metal connector, and note the numbering marked on it, in order to compare to regular Kingston product numbers. Fake drives usually do not have any numbers on it.

- third, make sure that your computer is virus-free and/or it is not corrupting your downloads.

- fourth, make sure that after unzipping the firmware, you copy the UPG_ALL folder to the root of an empty pen-drive. This folder contains one single file, named BDP_8000_S_A.BIN, with 50.963 MB.

The video that you posted suggests that there is a problem with the firmware file or the flash drive, but if after doing whatever is in your reach it and the player still does not update, I suppose that you would need to contact the Philips support. They will probably ask you to send the player for servicing, but then again try to find one shop that you have confidence in. I know for a fact that in many cases Philips will oversee repairs, so that customers will not feel unsure about them.

At any rate the update does work and I have so far played several new discs with it without any foreseeable problems.

Achievements:

Level
    Thanks
    paulo, eu fiz tudo oq vc falou, baixei do site brasilieiro mais de 3x pra ter certeza q nao corrompeu, download do browser, sem acelarodores etc, testei 2 pendrives diferentes ambos originais sendo que um deles é da philips que veio no kit 3d, uso um mac (porem ja formetei o pendrive no windows pra via de duvidas) recem formatado, ou seja sem virus. enfim, acredito realmente que seja algo do firmware, pq eu consegui atualizar pro 1.56 sem problemas quando comprei. eu até ja resetei o player pra ver se resolvia e nada... nao q eu esteja descontente com o player, nao vejo muito bugs q me incomodam, mas é só pra ter a sensação de que ta tudo o melhor possivel.

Silver Member
    Achievements:

Level
    Thanks
    João,

I am truly sorry to have to reply to you in English, but this must be done to abide by Forum rules!

I find it difficult to assume that your troubles are related to bugs in the firmware, for the simple fact that I have the same model as yours and updated it in a few minutes, as usual with this player.

Perhaps using a Windows based PC to download and copying the file to the pen drive may help you out. That would at least keep your mind away from any interference produced by using the Mac in any of the steps.

I sympathise with your update ordeal, and I would like to suggest to you to send a private message to a Philips moderator before contacting Philips do Brasil.

Good luck, anyway.

Bronze Member
    Level completed: 57%, Points required for next Level: 131
    Overall activity: 18.0%
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience PointsNew Achievement!Veteran

Level
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by kwinnie View Post
    Andreas,
    you mean new FW fixed that?

Thanks, Kwinnie
    Yes, the new FW fixed that, so now I am happy. I have only tried DLNA with the current version of Twonkyvision Media Server, but that worked with 1.56 too. (Not sure if subtitles worked then, but they do now).

I would really like to know if DLNA works like it should with a NAS unit as most NAS units run 4.XX versions of Twonky (some run 5.XX but I have not seen one running 6.3X).

Diamond Member
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Frequent Poster

Level
    Thanks
    Andreas, that will be a great news! Hope we can confirm that on the USB playback also...

Bronze Member
    Level completed: 57%, Points required for next Level: 131
    Overall activity: 18.0%
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience PointsNew Achievement!Veteran

Level
    Thanks
    kwinnie, it works on USB as well now -which is the most important thing to me. I have even gotten .srt subtitle files to work on many files.

I would still like to know if there are issues with NAS units or if the BPD range now can work together with sligthly older DLNA media server software.

All in all - great work!

Gold Member
    Level completed: 15%, Points required for next Level: 426
    Overall activity: 21.0%
    Achievements:
    1 year registeredTagger Second ClassNew Achievement!5000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Andreas View Post
    Yes, the new FW fixed that, so now I am happy. I have only tried DLNA with the current version of Twonkyvision Media Server, but that worked with 1.56 too. (Not sure if subtitles worked then, but they do now).

I would really like to know if DLNA works like it should with a NAS unit as most NAS units run 4.XX versions of Twonky (some run 5.XX but I have not seen one running 6.3X).
    @Andreas: I have a Qnap TS-219P NAS with Twonky Media version 6.0.33. The only thing I'm bothered about is that the BDP does not display external subtitles (.srt) when streaming video from the NAS.
    Last edited by bluevoice; 10-13-2011 at 12:51 PM.

Silver Member
    Achievements:

Level
    Thanks
    Well, I regret to report that my update was not so beneficial after all.

A few days ago I noticed that my wireless settings were missing. I immediately put it back, tested everything, but the next time I turned my player on the wireless settings were gone.

From that moment on it is the same story: by turning off the player the networking connections are dropped, as if I never set them before.

Since the only difference in my player is the firmware, I can't see any other reason for that to happen. Also, I have now the TV and A/V receiver on line wirelessly and no such problem ever happens with them.

As a matter of fact, up to now it never happened to the Philips too. And since I did not find a workaround to circumvent it, I am writing a private message to the forum's support.

I would be pleased, on the other hand, to know if anyone else has experienced this with firmware 1.56. All postings are welcome.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast