Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
  • Topic Tools
  • Display
  • Bookmark and Share
    Platinum Member
    Level completed: 82%, Points required for next Level: 54
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    1 year registered1000 Experience PointsOverdriveNew Achievement!
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Level
    Thanks
    I have the lastest version and did not loose my wifif settings yet. Are you far away from the router? Did you test varios encryption types?

Also I would advice to put your device back to factory settings and then do a renewed instalation. Also did you try wired connection and did the same problem happen??

Regards

Silver Member
    Level completed: 61%, Points required for next Level: 118
    Achievements:
    1 year registered1000 Experience PointsNew Achievement!

Level
    Thanks
    Hi, Oscar,

I am not far from the router. I have a strong signal coming from a 3-antenna MIMO DHCP server. So far, I had no problems with any device over this network, including the BDP8000.

I did not reset the player to factory default, but I can do that.

I did not try using a cable, but I could try one which is currently serving my A/V receiver via a wireless adapter. At this point, I am not sure what good that would do, since these are different networking connections.

Also, I wrote a PM to the Philips moderator, hoping that he or she might come up with a suggestion. Needless to say, I am completely pro-update and I would hate to come to the point of downgrading the player. I will try to stick to the current version, even at the cost of not having a stable wireless connection. At any rate, no Blu-Ray disc playback has been affected, and this is far more important than networking to me.

Regards and thanks.

Platinum Member
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Level
    Thanks
    Would still try a reset. I will do some different encruption tonight if I get the problems then

Silver Member
    Achievements:

Level
    Thanks
    Hi, again,

I did a complete reset to the player's factory default, via setup menu, but at no avail. I also re-downloaded and re-installed version 1.60, but nothing happened.

One other important thing that I noticed is that BD-Live no longer works, even if I re-establish my Internet connection. NetTV works though. Go figure!

I understand that Philips may be making different firmware versions, since mine is BDP8000_78_fus_brp.zip, which may indicate /78 and Brazilian player (brp).

Perhaps Philips moderators should clarify this. I presume that if software must be coded according to those differences, it wouldn't be surprising that people around the globe are getting different issues.

Recently European users complained about version 1.56 but I did not face the same problems, whereas now it seems to be the other way round.

In any case I am reporting this new finding to the moderator via PM.

I am again reluctant to change it back to version 1.56, on account of "Jumanji", which is one of the affected discs that recently entered my collection. I did not have a chance to test Jumani subtitles with version 1.56, so I would rather keep 1.60.

Platinum Member
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Level
    Thanks
    Ok now I have some weird behaviour also. Last saturday I was playing around and it will not connect anymore. When connecting to the network it says it does not find an IP adress so I enter this manually. It will say then that it has connected succesfully but it will never connect to the internet ....

Nothing has changed at all in my network for a long time and meanwhile my TV and Streamium products just connect perfectly.....

Looks like and X-file

Silver Member
    Achievements:

Level
    Thanks
    Oscar,

It is obvious that firmware version 1.60 does alter something in the networking functions of the player, and according to your recent report it has affected /52 models as well.

Notwithstanding, once the player is put manually on line it should work with all BD-Live discs as before, but none of my BD-Live discs are connecting to their sites.

Even more confusing is that the player does connect to NetTV sites!

This is not something that we haven't been through before. Once you establish a DHCP server and set your gear as DHCP clients they should work automatically, period!

As with you, nothing has changed in my networking servers. The only machine not working correctly on line is the BDP 8000, after firmware 1.60.

If I were Philips I would write a new version and put it available for downloading, just to be safe!

Platinum Member
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Level
    Thanks
    Yep because I don´t want to set up my whole network new again. Especially since everyhting works fine ( except now the 8000 ).

Regards

Level completed: 38%, Points required for next Level: 124
    Achievements:
    1 year registeredTagger Second Class1000 Experience PointsNew Achievement!

Level
    Thanks
    My connection-settings weren't lost but since installing fw 1.6 in the Netherlands (I guess BDP8000/12) my wireless connection, at least while using net-tv, seems to be losing signal a lot. But I'm not sure if it depends on the placement of the router. I really like the software-keyboard but how do I get the line with the red button out of sight while watching uitzendinggemist (previous shows on public television)???

Silver Member
    Achievements:

Level
    Thanks
    bvdbos,

Please let me try to clarify this:

Your wireless connection is part of a local area network, or LAN for short. It does depend on the quality of your router signal, and if wirelessly on the transmitter and antennas.

Every Internet connection is dealt between you and your Internet service provider (ISP). There is a negotiated protocol established by what sort of modem is in use and the provider, which will make data traffic faster or slower. Since the provider (ISP) is outside your place this network is called Wide Area Network or WAN.

NetTV and similar facilities are services provided by the manufacturer's server in the Internet. Your BDP8000 is a client to those services.

Your BDP8000 may be on line but not accessing correctly the NetTV services due to the server's temporarily being out of line or very busy, for example.

To avoid potential problems, the end user should make sure that his LAN is maintained correctly and with good signal. Since NetTV is not the only facility used in the BDP8000 you can test your LAN by choosing streaming audio or video files from a PC to the player. If it does work without interruptions it should indicate that the data throughput in the LAN is adequate for NetTV as well.

Please note that the is a signal meter in the BDP8000's setup. If you are not sure if the signal is good enough, by all means use either a cable from the router to the player or a wireless to cable device. I use one of those for my A/V receiver and it works very well.

Level completed: 63%, Points required for next Level: 260
    Overall activity: 16.0%
    Achievements:
    1 year registered1000 Experience PointsNew Achievement!10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thanks
    Hi Paulo,

I’ve just tried the issue, unfortunately I cannot reproduce it. I have a BDP8000 which has not beenused for a week. When I turned it on, the Wi-Fi is connected. Tried it several times and still ok. I have uploaded a video of it here:

http://myaccount.dropsend.com/file/ed4f2a3c19f9745d

One possibility is that:

1. You turn on the set and immediately go to browse NetTV or browse PC.

2. If the network is not yet ready, you will get the message that network is not available.

3. The message will have the following options “Retry, Cancel, or Setup”

4. If you click setup and go into Wi-Fi settings the settings will be lost (even if you cancel the setup).

Please give back your findings for any further investigation if needed.
    Forum Mod

Silver Member
    Achievements:

Level
    Thanks
    Hi, Remko,

First of all, thanks for trying to reproduce my problem.

I watched the video and I understood your comments perfectly.

Prior to version 1.60, I would turn on the player and check that NetTV was not readily working. However, all my network settings were there! In a few moments, I could connect to NetTV without trouble.

Prior to version 1.60 my wireless settings were never lost upon taking the player to standby or even disconnecting it from the mains!

Just to confirm that this restricted to losing the wireless connection, I did the following experiment:

I have a Dlink DAP-1360 next to the player. This adapter receives the wireless signal from the router (Dlink DIR-655) and converts it to an Ethernet cable. The adapter has one cable output which is currently servicing my A/V receiver.

I connected the cable from the adapter to the BDP8000 and it worked instantly. I could now turn off the player and then on again, without losing my networking settings. NetTV works instantly, by the way, there is no need to wait as before.

At this point however, I don't want to lose my wireless settings and change the input to cable.

If you are unable to find a cure for the time being, perhaps it might be a good idea to downgrade the player to version 1.56, if that is all possible. It wouldn't be my first choice though, but at any rate I am open to suggestions!

I suppose that the best thing to do is to debug version 1.60 for /78 players that is available through the Brazilian site. It nothing is found then I would have to take my player for servicing.

Edit (01/11): BD-Live still not operational with version 1.60, regardless of the player being on line!
    Last edited by Paulo Roberto Elias; 11-01-2011 at 11:45 AM.

Silver Member
    Achievements:

Level
    Thanks

Ethernet cable versus wireless versus BD-Live.

Yet another weird results from networking, which I thought I should share this experiment with you:

I had lost BD-Live functionality in my player after updating to 1.60. However, provoked by sheer curiosity I reinstalled an Ethernet cable from a local adapter, as previously described.

I inserted a BD-Live disc and it worked as intended.

I disconnected the cable but did not turn the player off. Instead, I manually set the Internet connection to wireless. Then, I inserted the BD-Live disc again and I got it downloading files from studios.

I turned the player off, then on and again manually installed my wireless settings. BD-Live was still working!

Please don't ask me for an explanation because I don't have one!

It is possible that an internal setting was saved that allowed the player to go on-line for BD-Live. To the best of my knowledge, BD-Live is an URL contained in the disc that calls for a studio server that contains the desired information. One of my imported discs actually identified that I was in Brazil and downloaded titles that are being released here, so this is likely a brand new server.

Many of these BD-Live discs quickly identify your player as a 2.0 model and checks if you are on-line or not. When I lost BD-Live I noticed that a message from a couple of discs instructed me to establish an Internet connection before playing. That's how I noticed that BD-Live was not working even if I set the wireless connection manually.

I must confess that I am very frustrated by all these findings. It took one single firmware upgrade to get the player into losing connections, and not that I downloaded a corrupted file from Philips or did not take precautions in the update procedure. In fact, I lost count of the dozens of firmware updates I did for other gear, and I can assure you that I pay attention to every single detail.
    Last edited by Paulo Roberto Elias; 11-02-2011 at 10:21 AM.

Level completed: 44%, Points required for next Level: 339
    Overall activity: 21.0%
    Achievements:
    1 year registeredNew Achievement!5000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Level
    Thanks
    Dear users,

We have been investigating this issue and regrettably we cannot reproduce all your issues. Please find attached slides the symptoms that can be reproduced. BDP8000 Network Settings Lost.pdf The issue specified in slide 2 will be fixed by future firmware.

Please kindly give us some feedback so as to see if we are on the same page. If not, please let us know what others issue you have.

Thanks for your help in advance.

Kind regards,
    Philips Moderation Team
    Forum Mod

Silver Member
    Achievements:

Level
    Thanks
    Dear QK,

Needless to day I am quite pleased that the Philips team is working hard on this issue.

Still, slide 2 does not address my problem, which is all wireless settings lost after putting the player to standby.

In addition, what your first slide says about pressing Wi-Fi or Ethernet after the Network Setup Menu is also a bug, in my humble opinion. A bug, by the way, that I never came across simply because the first time I noticed that I did not have the networking working right after startup, I went on to check the Network Settings, and thus never going through the Network Setup Menu.

It is inconceivable that network settings can be lost upon the standy/startup cycle. It evidences a flaw in the standby process that could be erasing those settings from the player's memory.

If that memory can be erased by pressing a specific sequence of commands, namely the ones cited in slide 2, this means that the whole algorithm needs to be reviewed.

If you guys, by any chance, have different firmware for different models (/78 and /52) and if these issues are not reproducible in one of them, perhaps a comparison between firmware codes could help you debugging where these issues are.

My 0.02.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123