• Topic Tools
  • Display
  • Bookmark and Share
    Level completed: 5%, Points required for next Level: 190
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    1 year registered500 Experience PointsNew Achievement!
    Level
    Thanks

Angry 37PFL5405H to PC via HDMI

I recently bought a Philips TV which I usually use for daily watching TV. My desktop computer is connected to HDMI1 for occasionally watching Full HD movies. The problem I experience is that every time I power on the TV it always switches to HDMI1, regardless of the input it was switched to when powered off. Furthermore, when I manually switch from Watch TV to HDMI1 it seems to force my computer to auto-detect the TV as a secondary monitor as my main monitor flickers and the Windows plays the default "Device Connect" sound.

I don't know if it's the TV, or my graphics card, or Windows, but it's really annoying and I have to solve it. My setup is Philips TV 37PFL5405H/12, ATI Radeon HD 5770, Windows 7, up-to-date drivers, firmware, etc. Please help!

Thank you.

Level completed: 88%, Points required for next Level: 84
    Overall activity: 47.0%
    Achievements:
    1 year registered1000 Experience PointsNew Achievement!10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thanks
    Hi,

If the PC is Powered on and the TV switches automatically to the HDMI Input, this means that the TV Receives a CEC (EasyLink) Signal from the PC. You can avoid this behaviour by disabling CEC on the Graphics Card or EasyLink in the TV Menu (Note: if you disable EasyLink, the TV is not able to benefit on CEC also with other connected Devices, Like using 1 Remote for different Devices etc.).

Regarding the Detection this is normal, in that moment the TV shares his EDID Information with the PC. Nothing to worry about. (Only worry if this is not happening )

Regards
    Thomas
    Forum Mod

Platinum Member
    Level completed: 11%, Points required for next Level: 359
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:
    1 year registeredTagger Second Class1000 Experience PointsNew Achievement!

Level
    Thanks
    Hm, my AMD 6450 card does not cause my 9705 to switch to the HDMI I have connected the PC. How can I enable this?
    (I want the tv to switch to the PC-HDMI when I open my HTPC. Right now it switches to the proper HDMI input only when I open my bluray player...)

Gold Member
    Level completed: 12%, Points required for next Level: 265
    Achievements:
    1 year registered1000 Experience PointsNew Achievement!

Level
    Thanks
    check if you Card supports CEC and get in contact with AMD(ATI) to see how this can be configured.

Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks
    Hey Thomas,

And thank you for the much detailed answer. EasyLink is the first thing I thought about and disabled on the TV (I don't have any devices that can take advantage of this). Furthermore, I tried connecting my PC to the other two HDMI inputs, which - by specification, don't support EasyLink. (I didn't find any information on if my graphics card supports CEC, nor how do I disable it.) Still, my TV turns on switched to the input my PC is connected to. I contacted on this Philips support (and they are being very cooperative) but still have no clue what is causing this behavior or how to solve it. Any other ideas are much appreciated..

Regarding the automatic detection, this may be normal, but for me is very annoying too. My PC is often used for work and playing games, and when somebody turns on the TV and my PC 'detects' it, not only my main monitor flickers but it often minimizes windows, freezes games, etc. Is there any workaround for this? The only thing I can think about is disabling by default the desktop associated with the TV and only enabling it when I watch HD movies, but still this in not very convenient.

Thank you,

dEM

Gold Member
    Level completed: 12%, Points required for next Level: 265
    Achievements:
    1 year registered1000 Experience PointsNew Achievement!

Level
    Thanks
    easylink/cec is enabled on all the HDMI inputs, not only on one.
    about the detection, this is in regards to the information exchange, which must happen between the devices.
    there is nothing to to about it on the TV, the TV gets a request and answeres to it (edid), what the pc does about it has nothing to do with the philips, the only thing left you can do is to contact the PC/Graphics Vendor.

Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks
    You're right, I confused it for ARC on HDMI1. So now it leaves the graphics card to be looked into.

Thank you all,

dEM