• Topic Tools
  • Display
  • Bookmark and Share
    Level completed: 38%, Points required for next Level: 124
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    1 year registered1000 Experience PointsNew Achievement!

Level
    Thanks

40PFL7705DV/F7 Lip Sync Issue. Im going crazy

About a month ago we bought a 40PFL7705DV/F7 from Sam's Club and initially I was blown away with the quality but after about a week of having it (and once i was watching something besides sports) I noticed that it has a noticeable and extremely annoying lip sync problem. It has up to date firmware of PHL_0DA_713_0, 2011-04-27. We are only using the internal speakers and NO a/v or home theatre system. Our DVR is going straight to the TV via a 1.3 HDMI. It is not the cable as i tried four different cables and it is the same on all of them. Their is no lip sync correction built in and I know it is not the box as we connected another (samsung) to the same setup/location and it was fine. I dont want to have to return this TV as im really happy with the picture but when watching other programs that show people talking it is really annoying. The SOUND IS ARRIVING BEFORE THE PICTURE and this happens if we try to watch a blu ray/DVD as well connected directly from player to tv. Is there any solution to this problem? I saw another thread on the 9 series that was similar but it had been closed. Please help if you have a solution.

Gold Member
    Level completed: 12%, Points required for next Level: 265
    Achievements:

Level
    Thanks
    Does it happen also with internal sources (TV tuner, USB-Videos)?

Platinum Member
    Level completed: 11%, Points required for next Level: 359
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:
    1 year registeredTagger Second Class1000 Experience PointsNew Achievement!

Level
    Thanks
    This is really strange. The TV speakers are supposed to always output the sound synchronised with the picture.

Try disabling the audio return channel, or try to use an HDMI input different than input 1.

Silver Member
    Level completed: 30%, Points required for next Level: 210
    Achievements:
    1 year registered1 year registeredTagger Second Class1000 Experience PointsNew Achievement!

Level
    Thanks
    I had a similar lip sync issue (but confined to certain channels and programs !!!) It turned out to be an issue with the 400Hz scan. Try disabling the 400Hz scan option.
    Last edited by mike tv; 10-07-2011 at 03:10 PM.

Achievements:

Level
    Thanks
    I have tried all of the HDMI inputs and they all do the same thing. It doesnt not matter what the source is (cable box/blu ray/dvd/usb movie). Its like the tv cannot process and spit out the image in time to catch up with the sound. I have noticed it to be worse on certain channels but it IS there on every channel but i think you just notice it even more on the channels where it is a problem on the providers end as well. Also, Mike, what do you mean by the 400Hz. How do you turn that off. I have the digital motion thing turned off that provides interpolation and gives it that weird look but the problem is there regardless of that feature being on or off. Im not sure if thats what you mean though.

Silver Member
    Level completed: 30%, Points required for next Level: 210
    Achievements:
    1 year registered1 year registeredTagger Second Class1000 Experience PointsNew Achievement!

Level
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by DHall View Post
    Also, Mike, what do you mean by the 400Hz. How do you turn that off.
    I'm not sure if your TV has the 400Hz scan (yours may be 200Hz ?). I think you'll find it somewhere under Perfect Pixel HD menu ( Setup/TV Settings/Picture/Perfect Pixel HD ).

Failing that if your TV has a "Game" mode preset try that (I think its called "Smart picture" the others are Personal, Vivid, Natural, Cinema, Energy Saving). The Game preset knocks off a lot of the bells and whistles and should clarify if it is a case of the TV being too slow at processing the image to keep up with the sound.

Perhaps you may just need to adjust your audio video sync? See your TV's help for more Help/ Setup/Devices/Audio to Video sync.

Achievements:

Level
    Thanks
    this LED is on 120hz and you can not turn it on or off(there is no Perfect Pixel HD option) I have tried the game mode option and it does not look to change anything and even if it did, just like you pointed out in your thread, why would i want to watch a inferior picture that is produced from game mode. I want this tv to be fully functional and not have to turn features off to get a good product. Sorry if thats coming off as a rant, just frustrated. I honestly think that ive found the ultimate way to check a TV for lip sync/audio/video lag and that is switching to a channel that plays music videos (mtv/cmt) as music videos are dubbed over to match the picture it has a lip sync look to it normally and if your tv has an issue the audio will not be anywhere close. When i have it on a music video it is absolutely horrible and the picture is not even close to lining up with the audio.

Level completed: 80%, Points required for next Level: 184
    Overall activity: 99.4%
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience PointsNew Achievement!10000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thanks
    Hey DHall,

please get in Contact with your local Call Center:
    http://www.support.philips.com/suppo...jsp?COOKIE=off

Thanks
    Thomas

Achievements:

Level
    Thanks
    Already did, spent about 30 minutes on the phone (a lot on hold while the girl went to look into it further) but they were not able to do anything. Pretty much "yeah, we dont know whats wrong with it, tough luck" dont know how to put it other than that. Was kind of blown away she didnt have any other suggestions even. Will most likely be returning the set if i cant find a solution soon.

Achievements:

Level
    Thanks
    Alright so i thought i would post a follow up since i probably wont be on this forum to much anymore. So i contacted philips about this issue again. Told them i had tried multiple cable boxes, multiple HDMI cables as well as component cables. They said the had never heard of this but had no recommendations or solution for this problem. So i decided i would take it back to Sam's Club and switch it out for the same model. Upon getting to Sam's I went over to the TV displays. When I originally bought this philips the TV was on a stand alone display with no other TV's around, however this time the philips was smack dab in the middle of the row with all the other displays around it. This was an enormous help and pointed out a major flaw with (at least) their 7000 series and that is that the video lags behind the audio on ALL models in this series which is absolutely ridiculous. The displays where showing a movie clip and all the models where in sync with each other but it was extremely noticeable when they were next to each other that the philips was a second/half second behind the other brands. This is just unacceptable on philips end. The only explanation that philips gave was that some broadcasters do not broadcast audio/video in sync (which is true sometimes) but there should be absolutely not audio/video delay when watching a Blu-Ray so that is when i knew that it was a problem with this series of TV's. In the end I returned this Philips for an LG and couldnt be happier. My suggestion to philips is that this needs to be addressed and fixed if you dont want to loose total credibility in your consumer TV market. Once again, just to recap it was the Philips 40pfldv/f7 and i did NOT have an a/v system hooked up, it was using just the TV speakers and a HD box feeding the signal straight to the TV. Just really disappointed over this because I was happy with the picture quality but the audio issue completely ruined the viewing experience over time.

Level completed: 80%, Points required for next Level: 184
    Overall activity: 99.4%
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience PointsNew Achievement!10000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thanks
    [closed, due to no activity]