• Topic Tools
  • Display
  • Bookmark and Share
    Level completed: 93%, Points required for next Level: 15
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    1 year registeredTagger Second Class500 Experience PointsNew Achievement!

Level
    Thanks

Question 42PFL7607K/02: cannot fast-forward or rewind MPEG2 or MPEG4 files (*.ts)

Hello,

we just got our brand spanking new 42PFL7606K/02 TV. In the Philips support chat area we were assured that this device could
    * access SMB or NFS shares with photos / videos / music,
    * play back recorded MPEG2 and MPEG4 transport streams (cleaned and remuxed with TS Doctor),
    * play back non-supported formats via a DLNA streaming server like TwonkyMedia (the files would then be recoded live).

We have a home network with a NAS in the basement. On this NAS we have a lot of recorded shows and movies which we have collected over the years. Most of them are in MP4 (H.264 + AAC audio) format or MPEG2-TS (MPEG2 transport stream + MP2 audio) or MPEG4-TS (H.264 + MP3 audio) format. The NAS (WD MyBook Live) runs TwonkyMedia.

My goal is to be able to view and play all media directly from this NAS. Optionally, record directly to the NAS. I have a satellite receiver which records the raw TS stream to USB flash drives which then can be cut and cropped on a computer. This works fine so far, but in the long run I'd like the TV to do this.

Currently, the situation is as follows:
    * The TV finds the NAS via TwonkyMedia and displays its files. I have not yet found out how to make the TV access SMB shares.
    * Recording I have not yet tried out, since the TV keeps asking the recording media to be reformatted, and I don't have a spare drive right now.
    * Playing most MPEG2 and MPEG4 files works, however, rewinding and fast-forwarding does not work. This makes it impossible to continue a started movie, which makes this feature basically useless.
    * Viewing JPEG files from the NAS works, however, the JPEG files are displayed as tiny thumbnails - making this feature also basically useless.

The most important missing features are the latter two. I would appreciate any help - be it reconfiguring Twonky or the TV!

Regards

Gold Member
    Level completed: 12%, Points required for next Level: 265
    Achievements:
    1 year registered1000 Experience PointsNew Achievement!

Level
    Thanks
    do you have a chat protocol?!?
    when did you had this chat?

Level completed: 11%, Points required for next Level: 717
    Overall activity: 99.7%
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience PointsNew Achievement!10000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thanks
    Hi Frank1977,

im sorry but i have to say that some of the Details are not correct.
    The TV is not able to access SMB or NFS shares (non of our products is)
    The TV can only Play what is shared via an UPnP or DLNA Server.

Also MPEG4 TS STreams are not supported, only MPEG2 TS.

Yes, it is possible to watch also non supported Video Files IF! the Server can transcode the Video Files to a supported Codec.
    Twonky f.e. is not able to do that. Only for Pictures and thats why you see only those Thumbnails.
    A Server which is able to live-transcode is Tversity.

Regards
    Thomas

Achievements:

Level
    Thanks

Chat transcript

Here is the chat transcript, translated from German.

Chat started
    Carmen: good day, how can I help you?
    Frank: Hello! Some Philips TV sets have a network connection (Ethernet) and can play different file formats (H.264, MKV, etc..). Can these files also be played from the network (eg shared folder or NAS)?
    Carmen Bird: One moment please. I'll take you to the appropriate department.
    Frank: Some competitors products can play movies from USB only, if you want to use network shares, then you need a DLNA server. I would like to avoid this.
    Frank: Thank you!
    Ronny Meyer has left the conversation
    Ronny Meyer: Yes
    Ronny Meyer: Oh hello first :-)
    Carmen Vogel has joined the conversation
    Frank: Hi :-)
    Ronny Meyer: Yes can be played
    Frank: Can I create an SMB network share ("Windows share"!) and browse my SD and HD movies (*. ts, *. mpg, *. mp4) directly from the TV?
    Frank: that would be an advantage
    Ronny Meyer: Yes, of course
    Ronny Meyer: this has always been possible with Philips
    Ronny Meyer: you have to use the file formats
    Ronny Meyer: that the TV can play
    Frank: I have MPEG2-TS and MPEG-4 TS files recorded by my satellite receiver. This should be compatible with the TV, right?
    Ronny Meyer: Yes, should work
    Ronny Meyer: Please note yet is that the files should not be larger than 4 GB
    Frank: That could be a problem with HD recordings
    Frank: I'll try and blog about the experience!
    Ronny Meyer: Then I thank you for the use of chat support and wish you a nice weekend.
    Chat is closed by agent

Sincerely,
    Philips customer service

Achievements:

Level
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Philips - Thomas View Post
    Hi Frank1977,
    The TV is not able to access SMB or NFS shares (non of our products is)
    The TV can only Play what is shared via an UPnP or DLNA Server.
    Also MPEG4 TS STreams are not supported, only MPEG2 TS.
    Hello,

thank you for replying!

I have a satellite receiver which can record the raw MPEG data stream received by the satellite to USB media. This, in my case, is either a MPEG2 video + MP2 audio 256kbps muxed as MPEG transport stream, or a H.264 Main 4.0 + AC3 2.0/5.1 160kbps muxed as a MPEG trasnport stream. Since this is the exact data which the satellite receiver inside my TV also receives, the TV is by definition able to understand these data formats and should thus be able to play the files.
    Also, on http://www.digitalnewsroom.philips.c...nd_55_inch.pdf, it says on the last page: "Video Playback Formats: Codec support: Containers: AVI, MKV, H264/MPEG-4 AVC, MPEG-1, MPEG-2, MPEG-4, WMV9/VC1" (...)
    So the TV is advertised to be able to play back MPEG-4 containers *and* MPEG-4 (H.264) encoded video data. It actually plays these files, too - only it cannot fast-forward or rewind (or step through) them.

Quote Originally Posted by Philips - Thomas View Post
    Yes, it is possible to watch also non supported Video Files IF! the Server can transcode the Video Files to a supported Codec. Twonky f.e. is not able to do that. Only for Pictures and thats why you see only those Thumbnails. A Server which is able to live-transcode is Tversity.
    Why can the Philips TV not display simple JPEG files in full size? This destroys the whole point of viewing photos on my TV.

Also, on a side note, I do not really understand (in principle) why TVs need a media server setup. Wouldn't it be much simpler for Philips' developers, and us users, if the TVs could just browse network shares?

Thank you for all answers!

Regards

Level completed: 11%, Points required for next Level: 717
    Overall activity: 99.7%
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience PointsNew Achievement!10000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thanks
    Hi Frank1977

First of all, please read carefully.
    I didnt wrote that the TV is not able to Display the Images.
    Twonky, the UPnP/DLNA Server does Transcoding. But not on Video files as you expected, only for Images!
    That is why you see only the Thumbnails.
    If the TV gets a Fullscreen Picture streamed, the TV will Display this Picture.
    To make sure that the TV will get a Fullscreen Picture > disable Transcoding in Twonky

Regarding MPEG4 TS, as i said, it is not supported.

Regards
    Thomas

Achievements:

Level
    Thanks
    Thomas,

thank you for your reply!

Let me say this first:
    Yesterday I got an email with a very detailed explanation by my Chat support contact, Ronny Meyer. Thank you, Ronny, for your correction, and please note that I did not mean to complain, I hope you did not get into trouble for accidentally passing on incorrect information. These things happen to everybody. Thank you again for your support!

I think the chat support system is a very good idea and please keep it this way.

Back on topic:

In Twonky's web UI I do not see an option to disable transcoding for images. This question was already asked here (http://www.supportforum.philips.com/...-on-TV-by-DLNA) but closed without answer. Is there a solution at all?

Please also read carefully :-) : The TV is definitely able to playback MPEG4 TS, because that is what my satellite dish receives. If this format were "not supported" the TV would not be DVB-S2 compatible. But it cannot jump / skip inside a MPEG4 file (TS or no TS) - that was my point - which makes it less useful as a PVR. I would like to understand why, and if this can/will be added with a firmware upgrade.

I was hoping I could find a TV which would reduce the number of devices (and remote controls) in our living room. But it seems that for viewing TV, recording TV shows, and playing back movies from my NAS, I need at least three devices, although the TV hardware should be able to do this all. But these features are artificially restricted (e.g. via encryption). Why?

Thank you!

Regards

Gold Member
    Achievements:

Level
    Thanks
    you really dont understand the difference between "not supported" and "not working"... are you?
    think about it!

for twonky see this

Achievements:

Level
    Thanks
    A_Tom: since you seem to know better, please do enlighten me.

Regarding Twonky: this option does not appear in my Twonky configuration. How can I make it appear? I am fluent using SSH and configuration files, but some hint as to where to look for this option in the Twonky configuration would be nice.

As to my other questions: I have understood that some features that were advertised for this TV are not complete ("supported") or not implemented in a way that I expected. I also understand that design, image quality and power consumption of this TV might have had higher priority for Philips than playing back movies, which surely makes sense.

But I would still like to use the TV playback features for my media collection. So I have these questions:

* In what supported format do video files have to be, for the TV to be able to find, play, and fast-forward / rewind via DLNA? The packaging says for example "MPEG4-PS", is it "supported" if it says so on the packaging? Would remuxing my MPEG files to MPEG-PS help?
    * How do I get the TV to zoom and/or shrink images displayed via DLNA which are _not_ 1920x1080? Or do I have to create a copy of my 80GB 35,000 image library for the TV with each image resized to 1920x1080 to be able to view them on the TV?

How do I mute the speakers when using the headphone jacket, but still be able to change the volume on the TV? Since the TV unfortunately does not have analog audio output, I have to use the headphone jacket to connect to our stereo system, but at normal sound levels for the speakers the signal at the headphone jacket is far too weak.

Also, I have some questions regarding the Youtube app:
    * How do I save bookmarks or favourites? Searching for them again and again is a little cumbersome, especially with the on screen keyboard.
    * Can I use the ABC/DEF/... keyboard on the numeric remote? This would be a little faster than the on screen keyboard.
    * Can I prevent the automatic start of the "top video" from Youtube when starting the app? This can be quite embarrassing if the "top video" is something you would not really want to show to your family, but it plays before you can finish entering your search term or choose another clip.

I would really appreciate any help in making our experience with our Philips TV complete.

Thank you!

Gold Member
    Achievements:

Level
    Thanks
    the transcoding can be disabled on the webserver for twonky.
    if you do not find this option, ask twonky directly.

for the codecs you have this list

you can only mute the speakers by using the mute button or by setting the volume to 0