Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  • Topic Tools
  • Display
  • Bookmark and Share
    Silver Member
    Level completed: 79%, Points required for next Level: 65
    Overall activity: 16.0%
    Achievements:
    1 year registeredTagger Second Class1000 Experience PointsNew Achievement!

Level
    Thanks
    Here is some additional information about the "This is an empty list" problem and other problems.

I connected the NP3900 to my network via CAT5 cable in order to rule out Wi-Fi issues. All devices on the network were then connected by a wired Ethernet switch to a modem-router. In NP3900 Settings I selected "Wired (Ethernet)" and the NP3900 acquired an IP address.

["Doesn't communicate with Windows Media Player" problem:] When I selected "Media Library" on the screen the NP3900 did not detect the fact that Windows Media Player was running on a new Windows 7 computer on the same subnet. The latter computer's firewall was entirely disabled and "Allow devices to play my media" and "Allow remote control of my player" were both selected. Windows Media Player, on the other hand, did detect the NP3900. But when I tried to "Play To..." the NP3900 no connection could be established. The computer had in other respects good network connectivity, as evidenced by the fact that I have posted this message.

["Crashes connecting to AllShare Android app" problem:] I started Samsung AllShare on my Android smartphone which runs a DLNA server. The phone appeared in the Media Library list on the NP3900. I selected the phone and the "Audio" category. This caused the NP3900 to stop functioning, i.e., to crash. This was completely repeatable.

I rebooted NP3900 and the phone.

Then I started Philips SimplyShare on the phone which also runs a DLNA server. Niftily enough I was able to play music from the phone to Windows Media Player on the PC using this app. It didn't see the NP3900. But after rebooting the NP3900 again it was able to see the NP3900 and I was able to play music from the phone to the NP3900 at least once.

["Can't scroll past Bananarama" problem":] I then exited SimplyShare and started the Philips MyRemote app on the phone and under Media Library selected the Synology DS111 which was the only server it could see. As usual, if I selected "Artist" I couldn't scroll beyond artist names beginning with "Ba". (Specifically, after "Bananarama" the following artist in the list was "Aztec Camera" and so on ad infinitum.)

So I selected an artist name beginning with "A" and selected an arbitrary song, which started playing.

I pressed the back key on the smartphone twice which exited MyRemote. The song continued to play with the album cover showing on the screen.

I pressed the NP3900 screen and selected "Internet Radio" and was able to play Internet Radio. Hooray.

I then started SimplyShare. ["Detection" problem:] Initially it did not detect the NP3900, but after a retry it did. I used it to play a song on the NP3900.

["This list is empty" problem:] Then I exited SimplyShare and used the NP3900 screen to select Internet Radio and got the "This list is empty" message.

It think that when the NP3900 is being controlled over the network and then local controls are used, the NP3900 sometimes forgets that it needs to reconnect to the Internet. It seems especially likely to forget if the remote network control app is shut down abruptly.

But as indicated above, there are other problems. And they have nothing to do with Wi-Fi reception.

Silver Member
    Achievements:

Level
    Thanks
    I created a separate thread for "Crashes connecting to AllShare Android app": http://www.supportforum.philips.com/...erver)&p=18071

The AllShare app is DLNA certified and works perfectly with my other DLNA devices: a Synology NAS and a Samsung television. It would be very nice if Philips could get the NP3900 to work with this app, or at least not crash when trying to connect to it.

Silver Member
    Achievements:

Level
    Thanks
    I created a separate thread in the "MyRemote for Android" part of the forum for the "Can't scroll past Bananarama" problem: http://www.supportforum.philips.com/...ast-Bananarama

I suggest we end this thread and continue discussing the separate issues in the dedicated threads.
    Last edited by jdthood; 11-30-2011 at 08:47 AM. Reason: P.S.

Philips - Gary
    Hi Thomas,

I agree, I shall close the thread and post the updates in the appropriate new threads.

Kind regards,

Gary

Philips - Gary
    Hi Thomas,

The issue with the SimplyShare app not correctly populating the media list has been identified as an issue with NAS drives or very large HDDs. We are working on an upgrade to fix this.

The issue with the apps not being able to reconnect after closing until powering down was reproduced. We have found that reconnection is possible if the app is completely closed or 'killed'. The MyRemote project team are now looking to fix this.

Kind regards,

Gary
    Last edited by Philips - Gary; 12-02-2011 at 10:01 AM. Reason: Correction: Wrong app referenced for issue #1

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12