• Bookmark and Share
    Bronze Member
    Level completed: 92%, Points required for next Level: 25
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Tagger Second Class1000 Experience PointsNew Achievement!Veteran

Level
    Thanks
    I currently have it set to Game and there are lots of jagged edges to be seen. It would be great if they could be smoothed out, but not essential - the games can still be played. I had a quick look at the photo mode, but did not notice an improvement.

So I am open for any advice on how to improve the picture on my component input for my Wii.

Regards

Peter

Bronze Member
    Level completed: 88%, Points required for next Level: 24
    Achievements:
    1 year registeredTagger Second Class1000 Experience PointsNew Achievement!

Level
    Thanks
    I will have a play and see if I can improve my Wii's image through component input. If I can I will let you know in this thread.

Regards.

Level completed: 11%, Points required for next Level: 178
    Achievements:
    1 year registeredNew Achievement!1000 Experience Points

Level
    Thanks
    I have question about SD pisture quality in this TV, exactly in 47"model. Today I visited one shop to try picture quality. I took USB flash memory with SD content - first was ts file recorded from DVB-T and second one downloaded Jurastic Park in avi file with subtitles. In my present CRT TV are both in very good picture quality, even in 70" projection is able to see from 3,5m. I was very surprised by bad imaging in PFL7606 ( moreover 42"), it looks like low-end telenovela with lot of artefacts. I see this TV from cca 2 - 3 m, but still I saw bad image :-( Is possible this degradation of image is becuse of "true motion" or similar "improvements" ? Also subtitles dont func function at all :-(

Bronze Member
    Achievements:

Level
    Thanks
    Over Christmas, I connected my Wii to a Samsung Full-HD TV using the same component cable. On that TV, the edges were nice and smooth like you would expect. With the Philips, I still get these jagged edges which are quite noticable. As Samsung are able to solve this problem, surely this should be easy for Philips to fix. On other inputs, the Philips has a superb picture, but really disappoints with the Wii component picture. I will dig out the original FBAS cable and see if that looks any better.

Regards

Peter

Bronze Member
    Level completed: 88%, Points required for next Level: 24
    Achievements:

Level
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Peter Walker View Post
    Over Christmas, I connected my Wii to a Samsung Full-HD TV using the same component cable. On that TV, the edges were nice and smooth like you would expect. With the Philips, I still get these jagged edges which are quite noticable. As Samsung are able to solve this problem, surely this should be easy for Philips to fix. On other inputs, the Philips has a superb picture, but really disappoints with the Wii component picture. I will dig out the original FBAS cable and see if that looks any better.

Regards

Peter
    Hi all,

Over the last few days I have been trying to improve the picture on my Wii using a good quality component cable but I am not able to smooth the edges out either.

My older 42" Philips Ambilight TV does a much better job with the Wii!!.

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated by all of us trying to get the best out of our Philips TV / Wii.

Kind regards.

Bronze Member
    Level completed: 14%, Points required for next Level: 173
    Achievements:
    3 months registeredTagger Second Class500 Experience PointsNew Achievement!

Level
    Thanks
    I use to use my WII with a Pioneer dedicated upscaler I just sold cheaply on ebay.
    Sounds like I should have kept it.

Just returned my 7606 and was hoping to get a 7666 but may change my mind.
    LG W550 looking tempting.

Reading all these forums things seem to be getting worse not better, Other sets have better EPG's , better scaling of SD , and display album art when playing files from a NAS server.

Some serious thinking to do before parting with $$$

Bronze Member
    Achievements:

Level
    Thanks
    Hi,
    I looked into the Wii issue more closely and objectively. First of all, the comparison is not with screens of the same size. The Philips TV used is the 42PFL7666K/02 and the Samsung one used is the SyncMaster XL2370HD which is actually my Full-HD computer monitor with built-in TV-Tuner.

This image is made using the Wii Fit plus Free Cycling game.

Philips on top, Samsung on bottom

As you can see, the Philips screen has slightly more jagged edges on the head compared to the Samsung. It is these jagged edges that give you the impression the picture is not as good. However, when looking closely, the differences are actually much smaller than the subjective impression. The Philips TV has a much better image than the Samsung when viewing digital TV or Blu Ray disks, it is just the Wii which appears better (although smaller on the 23" screen) on the Samsung.

By now, I am now used to the more jagged edges, but it would be great if Philips could somehow tweak the image just a little bit more.

Regards

Peter
    Last edited by Peter Walker; 02-07-2012 at 10:13 AM.

Level completed: 93%, Points required for next Level: 15
    Achievements:
    1 year registeredTagger Second Class500 Experience PointsNew Achievement!

Level
    Thanks
    Hello,

regarding TV USB recording: Sadly, many of today's TVs encrypt the recorded MPEG stream so it is only readable on the device it was recorded with. You cannot cut ads out, you cannot recompress it, you cannot play it anywhere else, so if your TV breaks (apparently, even if they only have to replace the mainboard inside it) your media collection is gone.

I was told by a hotline member that this is due to an agreement with the TV studios: they don't want people to create TV movie collections this way. You are supposed to buy the DVDs.

For this reason (among some others) I brought my Philips TV back and purchased a TV without USB recording, plus a separate receiver with uncrippled USB recording. This has the added advantage that you can record one show and watch another at the same time.

Regards

Silver Member
    Level completed: 73%, Points required for next Level: 82
    Achievements:

Level
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Peter Walker View Post
    Over Christmas, I connected my Wii to a Samsung Full-HD TV using the same component cable. On that TV, the edges were nice and smooth like you would expect. With the Philips, I still get these jagged edges which are quite noticable.
    I noticed, that the Smart Picture preset is set and remembered for each individual input.
    So, you could try the following:

Select the Wii Input, and try to change the picture settings in the Settings Menu and change the "Sharpness" setting and see if the edges disappear.

If you disable sharping, these edges disappear. Just be aware you cannot just "sharpen" a picture, you can only make it _appear sharper by increasing the edge contrast.
    But this only works if the edges are small enough (i.e. the distance to the picture is large enough).

So if you have a large TV in a small room, you probably should reduce or disable the Sharping.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12